Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Coheed and Cambria - Where have I been?

Prog + metal + emo???

Picked up 2 cd's this morning in the bargain bin for $15.99, by some group called Coheed and Cambria:
    "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3", and
    "Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV."

Ridiculously long cryptic titles aside, I've since figured out this is some goofy extended concept-story spread across several albums. Hmmm....beats writing about how much life sucks or how your girlfriend dumped you, I guess.

Never heard of these guys before - the store clerk lady said it sounds like a bad mix of Weezer, Rush, Iron Maiden and Queensryche - right away I though "ROCK ON!!!".

I'm really digging the first disc - and she got it right - there is a lot of Rush/Maiden/Queensryche, albeit with a strong pop, and dare I say, emo-ish tendency.

I'm on record saying emo is the worst thing to happen music since Nu Metal and that kind of punk rock music that plays in shopping malls these days.
    But this brew ain't half bad. A little less proggy for the sake of proggy, but that can be a good thing.

Man there's nothing like taking a total stab at new music and loving the disc on the very first spin!!! Hope the second one keeps the pace up!

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Yes, they're all pretty much like that. I still haven't completely figured out the story, but yeah, that's exactly what it is.

But since when is $15.99 a "bargain"?
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Yes, they're all pretty much like that. I still haven't completely figured out the story, but yeah, that's exactly what it is.

But since when is $15.99 a "bargain"?
    Both for 15.99 - , one of them 2-for-15.99 things, that's cheaper than the $15-$20 per album going rate 'round here..

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Oh, both for $15.99 -- yeah, that's pretty "bargain".
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I like Silent Earth, but I find it to be a little too long. I seldom listen to it straight through. I have a copy of Good Apollo that a good friend sent me (you know who you are), but I haven't spent as much time with it. I find that I tire of this band pretty quickly.

Good Apollo is decidedly more "metal" - I like it even more than Silent Earth. I'm definitely going to be giving these guys some more air time in the immediate future. Been awhile since I've been that impressed by the first listen.
    These guys are pretty good. Once a year I stumble across a group like this that's sort of flown under the radar for me.

Yeah, I don't know where you've been either, cuz there wasn't some discussion about a year ago (or so). I like the two albums you have but don't care for their first one (another long protracted title). Good Apollo is their best so far (IMO of course).

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Yeah, I don't know where you've been either, cuz there wasn't some discussion about a year ago (or so). I like the two albums you have but don't care for their first one (another long protracted title). Good Apollo is their best so far (IMO of course).
    Go figure.

Well, a year ago or so I was in Florida on vacation, and then later doing my cross-country tour for work, which made posting and sampling new music tough - must have missed it. Damn.

Anything else you'd recommend that I may have missed?
    This is only the 2nd "new-to-me" rock act I've tried and liked somewhat in the last 18 months or so. Either I'm getting too discriminating, or I just don't have the time to keep up with all the new bands. More likely the latter.

just make sure you have JUPITER by Cave-In if you don't have it. Another album that has some Rush influences, but also some Radiohead.. but their roots are more hardcore/metal. This album was an about face for them, yes, it's 6 years old at least, but I still love it. I haven't found any of their subsequent releases to be as inspiring, unfortunately.

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Thread Information