Did they rip off Alan Parsons?

I'm certainly no fan of 'new country', but Lady Antebellum has been getting a lot of accolades of late. However, parts of this recent hit song appears to have borrowed its melody from Alan Parsons' 'I Can Read Your Mind'. If you don't want to hear the entire song, move ahead to about 1:07 and you will hear that familiar melody.

I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Forum Regular
    The video will not play.
    I'm guessing she ripped it off; however, 5 notes in a different context is not a copyright violation.
    old Denon
    older Bose
    new Velodyne sub
    new Sony 1080 LCD & BluRay
    Big, clean sound @ 800 watts

5 notes? Did you actually hear the song?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder
    The video will not play.
    I'm guessing she ripped it off; however, 5 notes in a different context is not a copyright violation.
    It's that whole 'I am the eye in the sky, looking at yooooooou, I can read your mind...."

Sound like a blatant ripoff.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Given Hillary Scott's age and stated musical preferences, I find it hard to believe that she's ever heard of Alan Parsons much less took the time to crib a tune. There's only so many permutations of notes, especially within Western music's modal system...even more so for composers that are guitarists.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Given Hillary Scott's age and stated musical preferences, I find it hard to believe that she's ever heard of Alan Parsons
    I was actually a little surprised that Swish had heard of Alan Parsons. Just more of that deep-seated love for prog that he likes to try and hide.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Ah, but his actions speak louder than his words. Ol' Swishy intevented these here internets which, as we know, saved prog rock. Don't believe me? Read here...http://aprogblog.wordpress.com/2009/09/24/prog-plot/

Only a true connoisseur would display such dedication.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Off with her head!

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Given Hillary Scott's age and stated musical preferences, I find it hard to believe that she's ever heard of Alan Parsons much less took the time to crib a tune. There's only so many permutations of notes, especially within Western music's modal system...even more so for composers that are guitarists.
    It was stolen but I don't really care. I hated the Parsons song and I don't much like the plagiarized tune either. Since it sounds the same and all.

Parsons is prog?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I was actually a little surprised that Swish had heard of Alan Parsons. Just more of that deep-seated love for prog that he likes to try and hide.
    I find that curious since their 'hits' were basically 3-4 minute tunes with nary a tempo change.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    I find that curious since their 'hits' were basically 3-4 minute tunes with nary a tempo change.
    You're right. But I've always thought of Parsons as prog. I think of Steely Dan the same way. Although neither fit the definition, they fit the spirit. I can't listen to a tune like Lucifer and not think, "prog". I guess it's just how my brain has catologued them.

BTW, the video doesn't play. I get a message that says, "this video is private".

Why do we have to categorize everything?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    You're right. But I've always thought of Parsons as prog. I think of Steely Dan the same way. Although neither fit the definition, they fit the spirit. I can't listen to a tune like Lucifer and not think, "prog". I guess it's just how my brain has catologued them.

BTW, the video doesn't play. I get a message that says, "this video is private".
    There are so many genres and sub-genres that it's getting maddening and I can't keep track of all of them.

As for the video, not sure why it won't work. I clicked on it and it played just fine, but I just went to you tube and embedded it again.

It appears to be a copyright issue. I now get a message that says, "This video contains content from Vevo, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds".

I don't know who Vevo is, but I should probably thank them for keeping Lady Antebellum out of Canada. Although I find the grounds highly ironic if what you are saying about them ripping off an Alan Parsons tune is true.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    are we assuming Hillary Scott wrote any of it? Its been common knowledge that country music has employed writing think tanks for decades, with the credit being given to whatever flavor of the month. Don't know if that was the case w/ regards to this song (this is old news, btw).

and the name of the song is "Eye In The Sky", not "I Can Read Your Mind", but thanks for your concern there Swishy
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Thread Information