Thread: Christmas CDs

Forum Regular

Christmas CDs

We have been iced in and spending a lot of time in the house -- my wife loves to play her collection of Christmas CDs -- she has 30 or 35 of them.
    As we go through them I find that some are so cheesy that they are difficult to listen through and some are better.
    One that I like in particular (and I know everyone here will agree) is by, believe it or not, Celine Dion.
    It is a very high-quality recording and her tone and pitch are so exact.............very impressive job from our favorite Canadian/Floridian.

Anyone here actually enjoy their Christmas music ?
    old Denon
    older Bose
    new Velodyne sub
    new Sony 1080 LCD & BluRay
    Big, clean sound @ 800 watts

The new Nick Lowe (Quality Street: A Seasonal Selection For All The Family) Christmas record is supposed to be "magical".

"Successfully eluding formulae and cliche...bringing his considerably clever muse, legendary distaste for the staid and conventional, and deep musical roots in pre Beatles pop, torch balladry, C&W, rockabilly, R&B, soul, and ska styles to bear on a dozen lively, entertaining musings on the yuletide season."

Uncut magazine

Sounds like a winner to me!

Forum Regular

Ray Charles Spirit of X-mas

well if have to listen to those songs,then it gotta be with the master himself

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder View Post
    As we go through them I find that some are so cheesy that they are difficult to listen through and some are better.
    You have hit the nail on the head, Some artist should never be allowed to record such music. I am fond of the jazz style as it keeps with the traditional spirit of the season. But I do have a couple of singles that are childhood favorite:

The Grinch theme song
    The Charlie Brown christams theme song

Both of those songs stand up over time as christmas classics IMHO.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Suspended
    I have 3 older GRP cassettes that I like, a Russ Freeman disk, Tull, Blackmore's Night, Annie Haslam and then all the great comps that were traded years ago here that have some great stuff.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    This is the time of year my 5-disc changer gets a workout. Here are my xmas cds:
    Charlie Brown Christmas Album
    A Christmas Gift for You from Phil Spector
    Esquivel - Merry Christmas from the space-age bachelor pad
    Christmas Cocktails from Capitol's Ultra Lounge series
    Yule Struttin' A Blue Note Christmas
    Soundtrack to Elf
    The following were recommended here last year:
    Christmas with the Rat Pack
    Louis Armstrong & Friends What a Wonderful Christmas

Yes, I like me some good xmas music in the background when our sons are home. It gets everyone in a jolly mood.

Suspended
    For me it's Mannheim Steamroller. They're traditional, but again not. Along the same line as the Transiberian Orchestra. Their quality has always been first rate. I took my wife to one of their concerts in St Luis a few years ago. Very family-oriented and a bit cheesy, but excellent sound. One of the few concerts I've been to where sound was multi-channel. Pink Floyd being another. They have a DVD "Celebration" which is good as well.

Of course there are always the classics.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Best Recent find: John Zorn - Dreamers Christmas. A little tradition, a little jazz, a little cheese, top liberally with warmth and cheer. This comes close to a classic.

Name:  MI0003246679.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  31.4 KB
    TCA ATT GGA

Thread Information