Chip, Skewiff - You guys familiar with Joss Stone?

Our amigo across the pond, Mike, was kind enough to send me a disc by a new artist - Joss Stone Soul Sessions. This is some serious talent. She sings late 60s early 70s R&B, and man does her voice have range. To hear her, you'd think it was a young Aretha. But the kicker - she's a 16 year old Brit. And she looks as good as she sounds.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard her music? This is an outstanding debut album. Thanks for sharing Mike. I rate this debut right up there with The Peter Malick Group featuring Norah Jones - New York City. This was N.J.'s 1st album, and it is head and shoulders above her other albums, including the new one. It is very bluesy.

JD

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by JDaniel
    Our amigo across the pond, Mike, was kind enough to send me a disc by a new artist - Joss Stone Soul Sessions. This is some serious talent. She sings late 60s early 70s R&B, and man does her voice have range. To hear her, you'd think it was a young Aretha. But the kicker - she's a 16 year old Brit. And she looks as good as she sounds.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard her music? This is an outstanding debut album. Thanks for sharing Mike. I rate this debut right up there with The Peter Malick Group featuring Norah Jones - New York City. This was N.J.'s 1st album, and it is head and shoulders above her other albums, including the new one. It is very bluesy.

JD
    I posted about her wayyyyy back on the old board. Good luck. No one gave a sh!t then- hope you have better luck.

fp

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    I posted about her wayyyyy back on the old board. Good luck. No one gave a sh!t then- hope you have better luck.

fp
    Are you sure that wasn't one of your comp offers?

Hey - are you a Lyle Lovett fan. Probably not. Never mind. I have a new LL comp I was going to send you. You don't seem like the LL type.

JD

ps - still enjoying your latest comp. Tis good work Garee.

Yer right.

You don't seem like the LL type.

JD

ps - still enjoying your latest comp. Tis good work Garee.
    Not an LL fan. He irritates me.

Glad you're likin' the comp. Another coming shortly, unfortunately.

ep

Forum Regular

Joss stone

Yes I have this cd, for a first effort it's very good. The highlight is her voice, which sure doesn't sound like a 16 year old.
    I think the material is a bit weak though, the standout track is For the Love of you.
    She has great players with her and as she matures she'll hopefully get better.
    It's $7:98 at Target this week.
    Tony

Suspended
    She is fabulous! I heard her on "Live at the World Cafe" just last week. Incredible voice and talent for someone just turning 17 this month. Any chance of an evaluation copy?

Hyfi

Forum Regular

evalution copy

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    She is fabulous! I heard her on "Live at the World Cafe" just last week. Incredible voice and talent for someone just turning 17 this month. Any chance of an evaluation copy?

Hyfi
    Yes I'll send you one I have your address
    Tony

Brian,

Tony beat me to the punch. I'd gladly have sent you one.

How's school going?

JD

Yeah, I finally saw her video doing the White Stripes song about a month ago. Pretty radical change. Kind of cool though, with the Roots backing her up. From what I read, the Stripes have even tried out a similar reworking in their shows after hearing hers. Wasn't enough to interest me in buying the album, but fun nonetheless. I know Mike has been talking about her since last year. Don't remember reading FP's post but I do remember someone that had a cute little bunny avatar (with big summer freckles) mentioning a couple months ago that she heard the Stripes song and liked it quite a bit. But doesn't anyone like The Slackers?

I'm a LL fan----

and totally enthralled w/ Joss Stone's CD. Her voice slay's me - to bad she's only a teenie! LOL
    "....all my friends are junkies...are you monkey too?" -
    The Rolling Stones

Bipolar Bingo Enthusiast Chip_B's Avatar

First I've heard of her

JD
    I'd have probably heard of her sooner if I didn't ignore all of eff pee's posts.

nyuk nyuk
    "The Blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad"

-Willie Brown

Thread Information