Thread: Check this out

Check this out

I made this song in that GarageBand program spending a few hours over the last few nights. It's all put together using MIDI notes that I laid out by piecing together small clusters of riffs and notes. I constructed the piano melody by hand. Virtually every note is modified or changed in some way from the original loops. Very labor intensive. The only untouched loops are the drums in the loud section in the middle. I'd love to hear what you think . . .

It's 6 megs, so only try this with a fast connection.
    http://www.designshed.com/toonage/Heliotrope.mp3

Nice piano sound. I could hang with it for a couple of minutes, then it loses me, but the first section I have no problem with. Sort of reminds me of a Brad Mehldau recording I heard. But though it's not my cup of tea, it looks like it's relatively easy to craft a credible piece of music, even if you're not an instrumentalist. Not to resurrect that thread, but it does bring to mind some of those conversations about what is & isn't music, & who is & isn't a musician. A strong argument could be made that, as a composer (assuming you're willing to claim authorship; don't know how much tinkering you did with pre-existing loops), you are now a musician. Oooh, how does it feel?

I don't like others.

Forum Regular

Helitrope, eh?

Troy,

this sounds like a new age recording.

Pretty cool, tho. I like the bass that sounds like farts.

Dave

I don't know, I only got 5 seconds of it. I'm sure the rest was great though!

*edit* Oh, looks like it's going through now, I'm at 49% and counting.

*edit again* Ain't tech grand? Amazing what you can do nowadays with all the toys and gadgets floating around. I'm proud of ya even if it does sound a bit like Yanni. Not that I'm saying I know what Yanni sounds like. Now get real freaky and lay some twisted vocals over it and you've opened the door to a potential third career.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

J- yeah, I'd have to call the melody mine because I made the loop. Don't know Mehldau from Mildew. The bass/piano section reminds me of Vince Guraldi and then the arrangement gets all proggy in the middle. Am I a musician now? I still can't play an instrument and write music. I can create a melody with this thing and create a credible (your word) piece of music though, so I dunno. All I know is that I've released my inner Phil Spector. Grins all around.

Dave- Newage rhymes with sewage. Can't you at least call it jazz, ya ratbastid? The farting bass sounds great with a sub. That whomping big fat bass synth sound is right up your alley.

nice job Troy.. if I was single again and had this program I would probably never leave the house.. If I had this now my wife would leave me.

If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    nice job Troy.. if I was single again and had this program I would probably never leave the house.. If I had this now my wife would leave me.

You know, it's funny, but my wife made this quirky funk song that sounds like Tower of Power. She is just as obsessed with it as I am.

Hey that's very impressive, congrats.

So were these loops MIDI loops? Like a series of instructions sent to an instrument or audio loops that you've sliced up and reassembled?

Does the program have synth's that you can mess with, make your own patches?

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnz
    Hey that's very impressive, congrats.

So were these loops MIDI loops? Like a series of instructions sent to an instrument or audio loops that you've sliced up and reassembled?

Does the program have synth's that you can mess with, make your own patches?

Chris.
    Thanks Chris.

Yeah, look at this screenshot. The green loops are MIDI loops. You can see the hi-lited one is in the window at the bottom. All those notes are adjustable. You can move, delete, add, change the sustain, intensity and pitch to each individual note in there. You can plug in a keyboard and play over it with a new series of notes that you can then save and adjust. It plays back like a player piano roll, except that you can take this loop and add any instrument attributes to it. Note that the hilited loop started out as a piano loop and is now a skronky guitar sound, a guitar sound that I built by stomping all over a virtual pedalboard with flangers, trmolo, distortion, wah wah and a dozen other settings.

The blue loops are WAV files and you can pitch adjust, clip and fade them, but you can't change the notes.

This is the most fun I've ever had with a computer. Mrs. Troy and I worked on a lumpy-weird spy-jazz tune last nite.

Forum Regular

Lil Troy on the Kazaa download in your future!

Breakin Newsflash!

"Lil Troy" and his latest hit "Wilma Flinstone has a cool House" scored 5 million hits last week.

All the kids are raving for more Lil Troy!

He successfully melded prog, jazz, hip hop, and Frank Zappa into a new genre of music.

Lil Troy is also famous for his illustrations in the new book, "I took pictures of a Siberian Khatru who was lost in the desert".

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_G
    Breakin Newsflash!

"Lil Troy" and his latest hit "Wilma Flinstone has a cool House" scored 5 million hits last week.

All the kids are raving for more Lil Troy!

He successfully melded prog, jazz, hip hop, and Frank Zappa into a new genre of music.

Lil Troy is also famous for his illustrations in the new book, "I took pictures of a Siberian Khatru who was lost in the desert".

Dave
    I believe I'd qualify as a Biggy Troy rather than a Lil one.

I don't forsee any hip hop melding in my future . . .

What the hell is a Khatru anyway? Can there be a West Texas Khatru too?

You'd have a ball with this thing, Geezer.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar

Welcome to my world

Next thing you know, musicians are going to start doing their own album covers. What's this world coming to?

I haven't had a chance to listen to it, yet, but now you know (or, at least, "...have a clue...") why I rate making music as my favourite activity ever (yes, greater than sex). Congrats, and have lots of fun.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Thread Information