Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation CD suggestion of the day

Hey, folks, I have just got an idea (not any original idea, must admit): since we have already a topic about good DVDs & BDs, how about creating this place specifically for us to share suggestions of CDs we think are worth recommending to everybody else?

Any genre, so that we can make this topic the most eclectic possible.

Let’s also try, whenever it’s possible, to give some description of the disc we are recommending, all right? From my part I will try to do my best, in spite of my poor English.

I will start the game suggesting this very beautiful CD, one of my current favorites:

PROJECT LO – Black Canvas

Tracklist:

1. Black Canvas I
    2. Mercy Street
    3. Rajah
    4. Your Mind
    5. Tolerance - Acceptance – Transformation
    6. Perfection
    7. Retribution
    8. D.I.E.
    9. Black Canvas II

Project Lo is, in fact, a group/project joined by some musicians from LoLoRecords. The project is leaded by guitarist/keyboardist Bon Lozaga (ex-Gong, Gongzilla) and also joined by Brand X bassist Percy Jones, keyboardist J.Hatch, violinist Caryn Lin, vocalist Happy Rhodes, among others.

The music is calm and haunting at the same time, with very beautiful symphonic passages provided by violinist Caryn Lin, and also great performances of Percy Jones in the bass and Happy Rhodes with her haunting vocals, especially in their wonderful rendition of "Mercy Street", by Peter Gabriel (track 2).

Important to mention: this is also one of the best recorded cd’s I have listened to lately.

Details on this link:

http://www.lolorecords.com/project_lo.html

So, anybody else want to play? ;-)

Demetrio.
    Last edited by Demetrio; 03-19-2009 at 03:32 PM.

Linky no worky

If mellow is what is grabbing you lately, then you may like what I picked up not too long ago...

Mark Hollis' self-titled solo CD from '98. You may remember that Hollis is formerly of Talk Talk. This CD is very intimately recorded and sounds gorgeous. Very jazz oriented, yet atmospheric and moody. http://www.myspace.com/markhollisuk the second track is from the CD I mentioned.

Whether you are a prog head or just love good music, there is no denying this is one of the most astonishing albums ever made. There are moments of extreme craziness and interludes of over-the-edge genius throughout this collection, and Collins, Pert, Goodsall, Jones and Lumley deliver the rundown with infectious glee. These are canny musicians who know their craft, and if you are in the mood for something different, you will like this one very much!
    Last edited by Auricauricle; 03-25-2009 at 08:06 AM.
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

October Project

Here's a true musical gem I want to suggest today:

Group: OCTOBER PROJECT
    Title: October Project
    Year: 1993
    Genre: Art-Rock

Tracklist:

1. Bury My Lovely
    2. Ariel
    3. Where You Are
    4. A Lonely Voice
    5. Eyes of Mercy
    6. Return to Me
    7. Wall of Silence
    8. Take Me As I Am
    9. Now I Lay Me Down
    10. Always
    11. Paths of Desire
    12. Be My Hero

One of the best things which happened in the music scene in the 90’s (that’s what I do think about this wonderful band), OCTOBER PROJECT released only two albums, by Sony/Epic Records (October Project, from 1993, and Falling Farther In, from 1995), before getting dumped by their record company in ‘96, when they simply broke up. Some of the band members formed a short-lived band called November Project, which released an EP of songs entitled A Thousand Days (1999), but they soon reverted back to their former name, releasing a self-produced CD entitled Different Eyes, in 2003.

The debut, self-titled release of the group, though, is the true musical gem I want to talk about here. This is simply one of the most beautiful albums I had the chance to listen to in all my life. It is mesmerizing, it is magical, it is mystical. Kind of vocal dominated symphonic rock, featuring a lush combination of keyboards, strings, percussion and guitars with emotive, gorgeous female vocals.

The lush instrumentation and the rich, pristine vocal harmonies provided by lead vocalist Mary Fahl, with her powerful, deep, mysterious voice, combined with backing vocalist Marina Belica’s sweet voice, are indeed the trademark of the music of October Project. You can dream, you can even cry, you can get totally mesmerized by listening to this wonderful stuff.

I find it hard to categorize or compare October Project's beautiful music, but I would say they sound to me like a mix of Renaissance (akin to their beautiful orchestral textures) with folk-rock ΰ la Clannad, Capercaillie and Steeleye Span, and also some tinge of quiet music in the vein of Enya and Loreena McKennitt.

Demetrio.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Demetrio
    Here's a true musical gem I want to suggest today:

Group: OCTOBER PROJECT
    Title: October Project
    Year: 1993
    Genre: Art-Rock

Tracklist:

1. Bury My Lovely
    2. Ariel
    3. Where You Are
    4. A Lonely Voice
    5. Eyes of Mercy
    6. Return to Me
    7. Wall of Silence
    8. Take Me As I Am
    9. Now I Lay Me Down
    10. Always
    11. Paths of Desire
    12. Be My Hero

One of the best things which happened in the music scene in the 90’s (that’s what I do think about this wonderful band), OCTOBER PROJECT released only two albums, by Sony/Epic Records (October Project, from 1993, and Falling Farther In, from 1995), before getting dumped by their record company in ‘96, when they simply broke up. Some of the band members formed a short-lived band called November Project, which released an EP of songs entitled A Thousand Days (1999), but they soon reverted back to their former name, releasing a self-produced CD entitled Different Eyes, in 2003.

The debut, self-titled release of the group, though, is the true musical gem I want to talk about here. This is simply one of the most beautiful albums I had the chance to listen to in all my life. It is mesmerizing, it is magical, it is mystical. Kind of vocal dominated symphonic rock, featuring a lush combination of keyboards, strings, percussion and guitars with emotive, gorgeous female vocals.

The lush instrumentation and the rich, pristine vocal harmonies provided by lead vocalist Mary Fahl, with her powerful, deep, mysterious voice, combined with backing vocalist Marina Belica’s sweet voice, are indeed the trademark of the music of October Project. You can dream, you can even cry, you can get totally mesmerized by listening to this wonderful stuff.

I find it hard to categorize or compare October Project's beautiful music, but I would say they sound to me like a mix of Renaissance (akin to their beautiful orchestral textures) with folk-rock ΰ la Clannad, Capercaillie and Steeleye Span, and also some tinge of quiet music in the vein of Enya and Loreena McKennitt.

Demetrio.
    Just got this a few months ago and absolutely love it.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Whether you are a prog head or just love good music, there is no denying this is one of the most astonishing albums ever made. There are moments of extreme craziness and interludes of over-the-edge genius throughout this collection, and Collins, Pert, Goodsall, Jones and Lumley deliver the rundown with infectious glee. These are canny musicians who know their craft, and if you are in the mood for something different, you will like this one very much!
    Not having this one, I spun Unorthodox Behavior this morning. Another killer release by Brand X with about the same review as above.

With titles like Now I Lay Me Down and Bury My Lovely, it's gotta be good!

13 Cats

The one and only rockabilly super-group, featuring former member of the Stray Cats, Slim Jim Phantom, Danny B. Harvey of the Swing Cats, Tim Wormen of the Polecats and Smutty Smith of The Rockats. So yeah, that basically tells you exactly what it sounds like. Good **** if this sorta thing is your bag. But c'mon, how can you not like a song called Teddy Boy Kung Fu Weapon?

Forum Regular

Great Idea Mr D.

Recently discovered a band from Russia called VESPERO. Bought two of their CD's Rito (2007) & Foam (2008) from Synphonic, their newest release FOAM is actually released on a US label.

I can't stop listening to them both, they are a mix of Psychedelic, Prog and Space rock. Perhaps a blend of Korai Orom and Ole Lukkoye...

Great long songs with minimal cosmic female vocals, awesome percussion, cool guitars, synth's, some ethnic instruments as well.

The DPRP guys review them, but remember they only give 9's and 10's to prog-metal stuff, but they give them a couple some-what decent reviews..
    http://www.dprp.net/reviews/v.html

Anyway here is another review:
    http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=173084

and they have samples up on MySpace:
    http://www.myspace.com/vesperomusic

Oh and they have a bunch of Videos on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0bk3AglPKw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE4_K...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCNrh...eature=related

Huns & Dr. Beeker

Today's suggestion:

Huns & Dr. Beeker – The Middle of Somewhere

Tracklist:

1. A Day Like This
    2. Cereal Girl
    3. The Dew Drop Inn
    4. Ponies
    5. You Are the Best
    6. Rosie
    7. Cry Me a River
    8. Second and Main
    9. Company Man
    10. How Lucky
    11. Keeper of the Flame
    12. Ghost Town
    13. Lucy

HUNS & DR. BEEKER is an American duo from Burlington, WI, joined by Jon Hunsbusher (aka Huns) and Eric Erickson (aka Dr. Beeker).

The Middle of Somewhere, their unique release I know, is one of the most beautiful albums I have listened to in my life. It’s a wonderful combination of acoustic-driven compositions with gorgeous vocal harmonies and lush arrangements.

I came to know this stuff very casually, when I was navigating through internet pages about Chernobyl nuclear accident and suddenly found these two videos and the beautiful song played with them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbfsDAD-Hhk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lleQPaALSLo

I was totally blown away by that song and it touched me so deeply that I wanted to get the disc with it at that same moment. The song title is “Ghost Town”, a haunting tribute to the victims of that terrible nuclear disaster, as you’ll see on the videos above.

Samples of this great album available at these links:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/hunsbeeker

http://www.hunsanddrbeeker.com/music/?id=2

http://www.amazon.com/The-Middle-of-.../dp/B0016LUE1W

Cheers,
    Demetrio.
    Last edited by Demetrio; 03-23-2009 at 11:31 AM.

Forum Regular
    Galahad - Sleepers. Heaven on cd. At least to me!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by unleasHell
    Recently discovered a band from Russia called VESPERO. Bought two of their CD's Rito (2007) & Foam (2008) from Synphonic, their newest release FOAM is actually released on a US label.
    Yeah...I can get into this!
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Arrow For other fans of PORCUPINE TREE and Steven Wilson side projects like me...

My today’s suggestion:

Group: NOSOUND
    Title: Sol29
    Year: 2005
    Genre: Dream Prog

Tracklist:

1. In the White Air (6:57)
    2. Wearing Lies on Your Lips (4:20)
    3. The Child's Game (2:46)
    4. The Moment She Knew (9:38)
    5. Waves of Time (2:07)
    6. Overloaded (6:13)
    7. The Broken Parts (6:24)
    8. Idle End (9:43)
    9. Hope for the Future (5:57)
    10. Sol29 (10:02)

Italian band leaded by multiinstrumentalist and composer Giancarlo Erra, also a former member of Porcupine Tree tribute band Redshift.

It is not a surprise, so, that Porcupine Tree is the main influence in the music of NOSOUND. Very specially the slow, more ambient sound of the early days of Porcupine Tree, of albums such as The Sky Moves Sideways and Up the Downstair. Their music also reminds a lot, of course, the sound of No-Man (another Steven Wilson side project, where he usually explores his more trippy / dream prog vein), featuring also some obvious influences of Pink Floyd, Bark Psychosis and Sigur Rσs.

Sol29, released in 2005, was their debut complete album, and it is a great release from start to end. My favorite track in the album is “The Moment She Knew” (track 4), a 10-minute totally instrumental piece where the musical talent of Giancarlo Erra on the guitar (ΰ la David Gilmour) really shines.

You can check a promo videoclip of this album at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y__lfperjSY

And a great performance of the song The Moment She Knew live here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJzkd...eature=related

Cheers,
    Demetrio.

If you like that...

...try this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOmSXROtzHs
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Uh, what's the disc?

Good call, Finchie! Here ya go....

http://www.last.fm/music/Brand+X/Moroccan+Roll

Arrow Pure Reason Revolution

Group: PURE REASON REVOLUTION
    Title: The Dark Third
    Year: 2006
    Genre: Progressive Rock

Line-up/Musicians:

Chloe Alper – Vocals, bass guitar
    Andrew Courtney – Drums, percussion
    Jon Courtney – Vocals, guitars, keyboards, bass, programming
    James Dobson – Vocals, keyboards, bass guitar, violin, programming
    Gregory Jong – Guitars, vocals, keyboards
    Jamie Willcox – Guitars, vocals

Tracklist:

1. Aeropause – 5:04
    2. Goshen's Remains – 5:45
    3. Apprentice of the Universe – 4:16
    4. The Bright Ambassadors of Morning – 11:56
    5. Nimos & Tambos – 3:44
    6. Voices in Winter / In the Realms of the Divine – 6:35
    7. Bullitts Dominae – 5:23
    8. Arrival / The Intention Craft – 8:53
    9. He Tried to Show Them Magic / Ambassadors Return – 13:14

PURE REASON REVOLUTION is a new progressive band from London. They released some EP's (Apprentice of the Universe, in 2004, and The Bright Ambassadors of Morning and The Intention Craft, in 2005) and a mini-album (Cautionary Tales for the Brave, also in 2005) before releasing their debut full length album, The Dark Third, in 2006.

I find the music of PRR very fresh and new, not sounding like any other band specifically, although we can find some sparse elements of Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Timothy Pure, Dredg, Yes e The Beach Boys in their music. Most notably Pink Floyd, as you can infer by the title of the track "The Bright Ambassadors of Morning" (with it’s clear reminiscences to Floyd’s Echoes suite), but fact is that the band manages very well to blend together the old and the new, making this album very modern sounding overall, even appearing to draw some interesting influences from the Indie scene as well (Dredg, Secret Machines, Arcade Fire, etc).

The album opens with "Aeropause", a spacey, trippy instrumental piece in the best Pink Floyd tradition, with Gilmour-inspired guitar work. The whole album flows very nicely and there are absolutely no fillers here, no bad tracks at all, making the experience of listening to this album very enjoyable and refreshing.

The vocals are shared by female and male vocalists, with some wonderful, gorgeous interplay between them. If you also enjoy pristine vocal harmonies, then you’ll also love this album, given that they are in abundance all over this awesome recording.

MySpace of the band:

http://www.myspace.com/purereasonrevolution

Demetrio.

I find the music of PRR very fresh and new, not sounding like any other band specifically, although we can find some sparse elements of Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Timothy Pure, Dredg, Yes e The Beach Boys in their music. Most notably Pink Floyd, as you can infer by the title of the track "The Bright Ambassadors of Morning" (with it’s clear reminiscences to Floyd’s Echoes suite), but fact is that the band manages very well to blend together the old and the new, making this album very modern sounding overall, even appearing to draw some interesting influences from the Indie scene as well (Dredg, Secret Machines, Arcade Fire, etc).
    Well, if you liked that one, wait until you hear the new one!!!

Because all of those influences you just mentioned, especially Pink Floyd and Beach Boys, are non-existent on the new album, Amor Vincit Omnia, which couldn't be more different from Dark Third.

Instead, this is an album more akin to acts like '80s Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode, New Order, Tom Tom Club, maybe even Human League to a degree. Yep, they've gone dance ambient on us. I actually like it though. This album wouldn't sound out of place if had been released back in 1985. But I can't imagine a release like this is going to endear them to their original fanbase...imagine if Porcupine Tree followed up their Inabsentia or Deadwing albums with On The Sunday Of Life. Like I said, I like it well enough, but I am remiss that there won't be a real follow-up to The Dark Third.

Hi, 3LB,

Thanks for sharing your impressions about the new Pure Reason Revolution release. Must confess I was really expecting something in the same vein of the brilliant The Dark Third, but no problem at all, I will check it out anyway. ;-)

Cheers,
    Demetrio.

Yeah, thanks, 3! Love stuff like this....Where's my Crystal Method: Vegas CD?

B-Tribe for Ambient Heaven

Any genre, so that we can make this topic the most eclectic possible.
    Here's one I pulled out recently that I haven't listened to in years. B-Tribe's Spiritual Spiritual. It's kind of ambient spanish classical guitar music. This album, unlike the other four, is extremely ambient with only one vocal track. If you like Blade Runner, you'll like this. The third track, La Guitarra, is really a spanish classical guitar version of King Crimson's Epitaph.

Don't know how to upload the album cover.

Hey, Barry, I love that B-TRIBE recording! Definitely one of my all-time favorites in the genre!!

Favorite tracks: "Sketches Of St. Antoni", "Matador de Sa Pena", "Sunset in St. Carlos" & "The Sun".

Cheers,
    Demetrio.

sunshine came softly Monkey Bones's Avatar
    Hey, nice thread Demetrio with some cool choices coming up. One I'm listening to right now from last year that has turned into one of my most played recent favorites is the band with the silly name Dodos, and the intentionally misspelled album title, Visiter, no wonder this one got kind of overshadowed last year by the emergence of a bunch of other silly named bands. Anyway, I'll admit that I didn't give this one much of a chance last year, not sure why, maybe it just starts out kind of low key, maybe just in a strange mood, who knows? But I do know that it really started to click around the beginning of this year, because it is some very good and eclectic pop music, sometimes very melodic and accessible, other times noisy and adventurous, all the time with a nice sense of song craft, and nothing ever seems to unfold completely so you want to keep coming back. Like so many of the modern bands I like, a very healthy dose of the Kinks, sometimes pushing it toward the sound of that catchy Strokes' debut, but oftentimes more sophisticated, which moves it toward that Richard Davies sound some of us around here love. Fun CD, and nice to see that it actually wound up very high on many best of 2008 lists. Engineered by John Askew, who in his other job as the band Tracker, made a very cool little record a few years ago that I also love called Polk.

But here's one dear to my heart for the ambient crowd, from sometime in the mid 90s, Stalker by Robert Rich and B. Lustmord. Stark and beautiful, but also very dark and desolate. Amazing texture to the landscape. You honestly can't go wrong with any of the mid 90s Robert Rich CDs, they are all great. Seven Veils has that cool middle eastern sound, a little like Vas and Dead Can Dance, maybe Cul de Sac (another hot instrumental guitar and synth band that has made some very cool records with the Eno influence, though with some real appreciation and love for John Fahey too, couple of us often mention Crashes to Light around here), Stalker has the night and the fear, and Fissures with Alio Die is outstanding for its beauty, with both dark and calming passages.

Here comes midnight, with the dead moon in its jaw ...

Arrow Robert Rich & B-Tribe

Hey, guys, it is so nice to make part of a music forum like this, where big part of the members seem to have quite similar music tastes.

Let’s take the example of the two latest recommendations in this thread: B-Tribe and Robert Rich. I’m a huge fan of this stuff myself too. And must say I don’t have the “Stalker” cd above mentioned yet, so it has gone to my wish list right now.

From Robert Rich I have these:

- Numena / Geometry
    - Rainforest
    - Gaudi
    - Propagation
    - Seven Veils
    - Fissures (with Alio Die)
    - Yearning (with Lisa Moskow)
    - Strata (with Steve Roach)
    - Soma (with Steve Roach)

My personal favorite from the list: “Seven Veils”.

I love this album. It's soooo ethereal, so mesmerizing...

Kind regards,
    Demetrio.

Never heard of him. Thanks for the post.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information