Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Carole King - Tapestry

You know, sometimes I wonder how I've survived this long. I obviously live in the dark.

I've never paid any attention to Carole King or her music. I've heard her songs. Mostly on easy rock radio stations or movies that use retro soundtracks. Sung by her and by others. But I never paid attention. A couple of months ago I was in Best Buy and they were selling a remaster of Tapestry for pretty cheap. I figured that it was one of those albums that everyone should own, even if they never listen to it. So, I picked it up. Threw it on a stack of disks that I'll get around to some day and never gave it another thought.

Well, I threw it in the player this morning and HOLY CRAP I've been missing out. This is a superb disk. The lyrics are well written, the melodies are beautiful, the arrangements are outstanding. I don't know what the original recording sounded like back in 1971, but the remaster is spectacular. Crisp, clear....like she was sitting right in front of me.

I've listened to this disk three times this morning and I expect that it'll spin a few more times before the weekend is over. It makes me wonder what else I've wrongly been ignoring while living under this rock of mine.

Forum Regular

Big rocks in Canada, eh?

FA,

Yes, there is tons of stuff out there that we all have missed.

I thoroughly enjoyed the 77 thread.

We should do more of that kind of stuff.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    You know, sometimes I wonder how I've survived this long. I obviously live in the dark.
    Hehehe, yeah I know what you mean. I used to think I was pretty hip to what was going on when I was growing up but nowadays I'm constantly hearing about great albums and even whole careers of great bands that I totally missed out on. Tapestry is a great album, no doubt there. I got into a bit of an argument one time here when Stone posted the 25 rock selections from the Stereophile Essential 40 Albums of the last 40 years, which included Tapestry, by remarking that I thought there were many artists and albums that deserved inclusion on such a limited list before Carole King's masterpiece, but for the most part I was booed off the stage. Quite a collection of songs, though.

http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF9272A.php

We also did a Rave Recs Essential Album list around here at one time. You've probably heard most of the big vote getters, but fun to read some of the lists.

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/raverecsessentials.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    A couple of months ago I was in Best Buy and they were selling a remaster of Tapestry for pretty cheap. I figured that it was one of those albums that everyone should own, even if they never listen to it. So, I picked it up.
    I got an original pressing in VGC for all of fifty cents at a thrift shop, for exactly the reason you stated above. Can't say I like it too much though, but that's probably because I've heard just about every song on it eight million times.

I didn't miss any old 70s/80s stuff; I avoided it

NP: Shellac - At Action Park
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    We also did a Rave Recs Essential Album list around here at one time. You've probably heard most of the big vote getters, but fun to read some of the lists.

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/raverecsessentials.htm
    Interesting lists. I was very surprised to see how mainstream most of the lists were. I expected a little more obscurity from such a collection, considering who the contributors were.

Yep, its a classic

I figured that it was one of those albums
    that everyone should own, even if they never listen to it.
    So, I picked it up.

Its the same reason everyone owns a copy of Miles Davis' Britches Brew, except you can actually listen to Tapestry ;-)

ps I had to misspell *****es, cuz well...you can tell

42 Regular
    Wow...thanks for the trip down memory lane, Davey. That list was over 2 years ago, huh?

For those who didn't click thru, here are the 18 Rave Recs "essential" discs that got more than 4 votes:

The Clash - London Calling - 11
    The Who - Who's Next - 11
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon - 9
    The Beatles - Revolver - 8
    Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True - 7
    David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - 7
    Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced? - 7
    The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground and Nico - 7
    Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Déjà Vu - 6
    The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street - 6
    U2 - The Joshua Tree - 6
    The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds - 5
    Led Zeppelin - II - 5
    Van Morrison - Astral Weeks - 5
    Nirvana - Nevermind - 5
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - 5
    The Replacements - Let it Be - 5
    Talking Heads - Remain in Light - 5

Taking your one favorite track from each of these discs would be an interesting comp idea. If someone needed an interesting comp idea, that is.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Thread Information