Smile Caravan - Land Of Grey and Pink // pretty good

(in keeping with my long standing tradition of reviewing old albums)

I was hoping this one would be good considering my recent luck with new purchases. And for the most part, I like it. Particularly, the 5th track Nine Feet Underground, which is worth the price of the CD. Over 22 minutes long, this must have been side B of the album. More of a long jam than an actual progressive rock piece, its still a great workout, and not over long. Songs like Golf Girl and Love To Love You and the title track show their age, however. These are kinda humorous songs, what with the silly lyrics and irony, but aren't much for repeat listening. Winter Wine is good tune, but I kinda prefer the all instrumental version offered on this bonus edition CD, which includes two previously unreleased 'new' tracks, I Don't Know Its Name and Aristocracy, which were excluded due to time limitations, and that's a shame because the former is a great track, the latter is much in the same vein as their other regular songs with goofy lyrics and all.

I guess the Canterbury Scene was Englands answer to Haite/Ashbury. Its funny that this album pops up in prog circles when it would be right at home sitting next to a Grateful Dead album or even Allman Bros. The sound quality for this CD is phenominal considering its an album from '71. Considering I only paid $10.99US for this, its a good get. Makes up for the $11 I paid for Olias Of Sunhillow.

A desert island disc for me.

Glad you liked the album. This was their pinnacle imo. Nine Feet Underground rawks, plain and simple.

If you want to delve further into Caravan's discography may I suggest Waterloo Lily or even For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night. Both are really good imo. The band members changed quite frequently after In The Land but the music still held up very well.

Darren
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    (in keeping with my long standing tradition of reviewing old albums)

I was hoping this one would be good considering my recent luck with new purchases. And for the most part, I like it. Particularly, the 5th track Nine Feet Underground, which is worth the price of the CD. Over 22 minutes long, this must have been side B of the album. More of a long jam than an actual progressive rock piece, its still a great workout, and not over long. Songs like Golf Girl and Love To Love You and the title track show their age, however. These are kinda humorous songs, what with the silly lyrics and irony, but aren't much for repeat listening. Winter Wine is good tune, but I kinda prefer the all instrumental version offered on this bonus edition CD, which includes two previously unreleased 'new' tracks, I Don't Know Its Name and Aristocracy, which were excluded due to time limitations, and that's a shame because the former is a great track, the latter is much in the same vein as their other regular songs with goofy lyrics and all.

I guess the Canterbury Scene was Englands answer to Haite/Ashbury. Its funny that this album pops up in prog circles when it would be right at home sitting next to a Grateful Dead album or even Allman Bros. The sound quality for this CD is phenominal considering its an album from '71. Considering I only paid $10.99US for this, its a good get. Makes up for the $11 I paid for Olias Of Sunhillow.

Actually, 1971 has some of the greatest sounding rock albums of all time!
    Better than all of the modern protools productions imo.

Girls who grow plump in the Night and If I could do it over again... are just as good as LOGAP. Check em' out! Caravan 's timeless music.

Thread Information