Forum Regular

RELAYER -- Japanese Remaster Edition

Fantastic !

I certainly realize that, as YESALBUMS go, REALYER is not considered the Zenith of their music............however, I personally think this composition is quite unique and interesting.

Originally recorded in Squire's basement home-studio, the tapes are not top-quality and everyone told us so back in 1974 when we first got to review this material................in addition, no matter how bad or how well it was recorded, the music offered here was so new and different that it literally took "acquiring the taste" to appreciate it.............I know it took a dozen times through it for me before I began to catch on.

To now own this remastered (and much better-sounding) version of such work is a real joy.
    Even though "Gates" is over the top, it certainly has it's grammy moments.............and, for me personally, Shound Chaser and To Be Over are also both brilliant................despite the CHA-CHA-CHA.

Interestingly, Squire & Moraz bring out the best we were to ever hear from Alan White.............well done !
    old Denon
    older Bose
    new Velodyne sub
    new Sony 1080 LCD & BluRay
    Big, clean sound @ 800 watts

Suspended
    This has always been my favorite Yes album since the day I first heard it.

Gates has always been my fav song also. I have not heard any remasters but would like to.

Forum Regular
    The version I have is out of print but you can find copies on eBay.

Probably worth the money if you like RELAYER.
    old Denon
    older Bose
    new Velodyne sub
    new Sony 1080 LCD & BluRay
    Big, clean sound @ 800 watts

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    I pulled my copy out and it is different than the ones I see listed at CD Universe and Amazon. Mine is a remastered version at Sterling Sound and the song lengths are strange.

The Gates of Delirium (21:55)
    Sound Chaser (9:25)
    To Be Over (9:08)

When it comes to Yes music, I really like to have a very good sounding copy. My DVD-A discs of Fragile and Magnification are great when I'm showing off my surround music system.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I've owned two CD releases of Relayer; the first remaster from the '90s and Rhino reissues from a few years ago. I've also heard a vinyl copy. It doesn't matter what form, I think it sounds horrid. What did they do to Chris' bass? Its so far back in the mix after being so upfront on the previous albums.

Anyway, my reissue has a studio run-through of Gates and I prefer it to the finest product. In fact, I prefer to hear the live renditions of Gates to the studio versions. Sound Chaser always sounded sped up to me. I can take or leave it. To Be Over is worth the price of the CD for me. Howe's solo in it is superb.

Chris's bass didn't sound good again until Drama. I know someone will chime in proclaim his bass more adequate but I want it to sound like it did in '71-'72, always.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Thread Information