• 06-03-2014, 08:39 PM
    AliceGWeaver
    Can you explain gamelan and how it is used - for accompanying dance?
    I have heard this instrument(?) is used for rave or trance dance music. Does anyone play it here? Why is it especially good for trance dancing and whatever you know. Also recommend good recordings for meditative dance use.
    http://dailydigitaldeals.info/wp-con...1/39/track.gif
  • 06-05-2014, 10:40 AM
    noddin0ff
    Its not a common kind of instrument. And my understanding is each gamelan is a unique collection of percussion instruments. I imagine that, if it's good for trance, it's simply because it sounds Indonesian-y trancy. Some people, I assume, feel that music from that part of the world must be spiritually enlightening. Personally, I've only heard gamelan pieces that were modern compositions.

Of course, you could always use wiki...
    Gamelan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • 06-05-2014, 01:52 PM
    Finch Platte
    It's pronounced 'game lawn' and it refers to games played on the lawn that are dangerous/deadly.

Lawn darts come to mind. The music that accompanies the games has lots of screaming. Opeth, Children of Bodum, etc.. As the dart hurtles earthwards, eventually striking little Billy in the forehead as he gazes heavenwards, a good laugh is had by all.

Another game is Slip 'n' Slide, with the slide being laced with razor blades. Fun for kids of all ages!