Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    sunshine came softly Monkey Bones's Avatar

Adventures in Tunesville (Tuesday Edition)

What you been listening to the last week? Anything fancy and fun-filled? Dumb and dreary? Fast and frantic?

The Concise King Crimson got a couple plays, mostly in the car. Always strange to hear a collection like this when it bridges such dissimilar sounding eras of a band. I always tend toward the less progressive early 80s period which is well represented here with over 1/3 of the songs.

Augie March - Sunset Studies always close to my ears and heart these days. Great record, fantastic debut. Pretty nice sounding too, not nearly as loud and compressed as the later ones.

Califone does the Rolling Stones - cool live set from a few years ago, very well recorded too. I have the ful resolution set, but here's a lower res download for anyone that wants a quick dose of Street Fighting Man or Miss You or Ventilator Blues or ... http://berkeleyplace.wordpress.com/2...een-round-two/

Joy Division - Loaded up the 4-disc Heart and Soul box in the car changer and been driving under a bad sign for the last week or so. But what an amazing place to be. Listening to Unknown Pleasures followed by Closer is always epic, even with the gaps for work and life separating the songs. And always makes most other music seem a bit trivial too. Is UP really 30 years old now? Wow. What an old geezer I've become.

And also some other odds like the latest from David Kilgour, and my Light So Dim comp from a few years ago, and some new Andrew Bird, Dodos, etc.
    Here comes midnight, with the dead moon in its jaw ...

I been revisiting the last couple of years

The Shins: Wincing The Night Away - I sure these guys have a new one coming out

Spoon: GaGaGaGaGa - Just like The Shins, this band has me gripping for a new one, one of few bands that have me wanting more.

Satellite: Into The Night - a Polish prog band that channels Pink Floydian style rock guitar, not unlike RPWL did a few years back. A lot of ambient influences as well, like Riverside. This is a great rock album and isn't the typical neo-prog band.

Marillion - I made a comp for HyFi and I have been listening to a version of that one this last week

Spring '09 comp I made is seeing some rotation just to make sure I like the flow - I haven't made any comp in a long long time and now I've made three in two weeks. I made a PT comp of songs I think my wife would like.

Swish's Better Late Than Never 2008 sampler came in just yesterday and I spun that two times - good tunage...if ya got one you know.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Bones
    Joy Division - Loaded up the 4-disc Heart and Soul box in the car changer and been driving under a bad sign for the last week or so. But what an amazing place to be. Listening to Unknown Pleasures followed by Closer is always epic, even with the gaps for work and life separating the songs. And always makes most other music seem a bit trivial too. Is UP really 30 years old now? Wow. What an old geezer I've become.
    Have you seen the movie "Control"? The black & white gave it an authentic feel and Sam Riley was convincing as Ian Curtis. But I could use a little more "in the studio"-type info. Any suggestions for reference materials on how the band developed/achieved its sound?

http://www.controlthemovie.com/

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Been listening to Live Music Archive lately. Specifically been listening to

Toubab Krewe: Live at Neighborhood Theatre on 2006-02-03
    http://www.archive.org/details/tk2006-02-03.flac16

african rhythms with a bit of a bluegrass influence I think. Very catchy. Good recording on the flac downloads. Opening track 'Hang Tan' is infectious.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    Have you seen the movie "Control"? The black & white gave it an authentic feel and Sam Riley was convincing as Ian Curtis. But I could use a little more "in the studio"-type info. Any suggestions for reference materials on how the band developed/achieved its sound?

http://www.controlthemovie.com/
    I gotta get a hold of that. I looked for it at Hollywood Video but they didn't have it, neither did Blockbuster. I guess I'll have wait and buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    I gotta get a hold of that. I looked for it at Hollywood Video but they didn't have it, neither did Blockbuster. I guess I'll have wait and buy it.
    I didn't find it at my local video store and didn't expect to. I used a Christmas gift certificate and bought it. A Joy Division documentary came out about the same time (2007) that is supposed to focus more on the music and the Manchester scene. From what I've read, I think it would be a good compliment to Control.

The Concise King Crimson got a couple plays, mostly in the car. Always strange to hear a collection like this when it bridges such dissimilar sounding eras of a band. I always tend toward the less progressive early 80s period which is well represented here with over 1/3 of the songs.
    Say what? You ain't list'nin no damn King Crimson

really?

I consider myself a King Crimson fan, and I wouldn't mix eras of KC...just too diff

In fact, I dunno which KC comp is worse, this, or the Compact King Crimson. Ya know, as I type this, I'll bet someone has attempted to send you KC comps in the past, and I know that most anyone else could do better than any commercial comp, so I wonder why you listen to Concise. Anyhoo - almost all of the KC that involved Adrian Belew sounds the same. If you gravitate towards the '80s stuff, then you need to hear Thrak as well, maybe even Power To Believe (I skip Construkshun Of Light cuz it sucks).

Hell, you may want to investigate Adrian Belew's solo stuff as well (I say this as if it hadn't been said before of course).

42 Regular
    I got ahold of the latest Umphry's McGee finally. It's a rather odd pot of influence stew, isn't it? A couple of listens in, and it's more 'interesting' to me than 'enjoyable'. But that will probably change, given enough time. These guys can definitely play, man.

Still really liking The Boxer Rebellion, Union. I know some folks have a thing against downloading in general...but I can't believe this one has hasn't generated more buzz. Maybe (probably) it's just me.

Lastly, I'm digging the new Wilco DVD, Ashes of American Flags. Good performances, filmy production values, some nice talky parts about the slow decay of small-town America and life on the road. Definitely worth having if you're a fan. If not...meh. For my money, Nels Cline's guitar parts on "Impossible Germany" are worth the price of the disc by themselves.

NP: Syd Barrett & Pink Floyd, "Astronomy Domine"
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

sunshine came softly Monkey Bones's Avatar
    ...so I wonder why you listen to Concise. Anyhoo - almost all of the KC that involved Adrian Belew sounds the same. If you gravitate towards the '80s stuff, then you need to hear Thrak as well, maybe even Power To Believe (I skip Construkshun Of Light cuz it sucks).

Hell, you may want to investigate Adrian Belew's solo stuff as well (I say this as if it hadn't been said before of course).
    I was a big KC fan back then, have all the records and a few CDs. In fact, I think that red/blue/yellow Swaziland series from the early 80s were some of my first CD purchases. I just picked that collection up last time I was at the library because I don't have any early stuff on CD, so it was kind of fun. I do have a bunch of Adrian Belew's solo stuff, and Thrak too (though not one of my favorites). Saw KC in Berkeley in the 80s, at the height of my favorite period, great show. Belew was quite the showman. Actually, one of the better concerts I've been to.
    Last edited by Monkey Bones; 05-13-2009 at 07:25 AM.
    Here comes midnight, with the dead moon in its jaw ...

Saw KC in Berkeley in the 80s, at the height of my favorite period, great show. Belew was quite the showman. Actually, one of the better concerts I've been to.
    I hope they can mend fences (Belew/Fripp) and get back together to put out at least one more album. There's talk that something's in the works. They did tour for a short stint with the drummer from Porky Tree, Gavin Harrison. I think our own HyFi saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    I got ahold of the latest Umphry's McGee finally.

Still really liking The Boxer Rebellion, Union.

Lastly, I'm digging the new Wilco DVD, Ashes of American Flags...Impossible Germany
    Love the new Mcgee - gets plenty of rotation

Is The Boxer Rebellion only available for download?

Love the song Impossible Germany and that album, Sky Blue Sky, is my all-time fave Wilco album.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    I didn't find it at my local video store and didn't expect to. I used a Christmas gift certificate and bought it. A Joy Division documentary came out about the same time (2007) that is supposed to focus more on the music and the Manchester scene. From what I've read, I think it would be a good compliment to Control.
    I saw that Documentary, as well as Control, the doc is really very good - lots of insight into Ian's life from his bandmates point of view - and lots of good stuff about Martin Hannett and his influence on the band. Peter Hook does come off as a bit of a wanker though. Highly recommended. Incidentally, my neighborhood Blockbuster has Control, I must live in a hipster part of the world.

As for my recent listenings....

The Phantom Band - Checkmate Savage; this is my favorite listen lately - vary good debut from this Scottish band. Not sure how to describe their sound besides big and bold. There is some monster bass on this disc too.

White Lies - To Lose My Life... Gotta think Finchy for this little gem. Typical Brit-guitar band along the lines of Doves and British Sea Power; obviously influenced by the British 80s post-punk scene headed by Echo & the Bunnymen -though their use of synthesizers puts me in mind of Adrian Borland's great and lesser known band; The Sound.

The Ettes - Look at Life Again Soon; and a shout out to Nobody for this littel garage-rock gem that's been in constant rotation in my car

Airborne Toxic Event; This one has also been getting a lot of spins chez ELT; solid album with a couple of epic tracks, (please see "Sometime Around Midnight").
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Nels Cline is a freak for sure

I Lastly, I'm digging the new Wilco DVD, Ashes of American Flags. For my money, Nels Cline's guitar parts on "Impossible Germany" are worth the price of the disc by themselves.
    I never saw anyone utilize a whammy bar in quite the same way.Seeing him performing that solo live was a big thrill too. I'm curious as to the vintage of his Fender Jazzmaster, but they're pretty sweet and the pre-CBS models go for big $ these days. I was watching a couple on e-bay and they were going for $5,000 and up, mostly up, and I would bet Nels has something in the early 60s.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    I never saw anyone utilize a whammy bar in quite the same way.Seeing him performing that solo live was a big thrill too. I'm curious as to the vintage of his Fender Jazzmaster, but they're pretty sweet and the pre-CBS models go for big $ these days. I was watching a couple on e-bay and they were going for $5,000 and up, mostly up, and I would bet Nels has something in the early 60s.

Swish
    He probably bought it when it was new. That guy's older than me! But yeah, you should probably pick this one up. Tons of awesome whammy-bar action to be enjoyed.

Oh, and 3LB...
    I believe the Union album is an iTunes exclusive. Or at least it was when I bought it.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Swish

Swish
    I'm a big fan of Jazzmasters and Jaguars. In '91 or '92 I picked up an '86 MIJ 1962 reissue candy apple red Jazzmaster that's been my favorite. Although it's not the easiest player's guitar (except in the hands of a genius like Nels), the tones are very much to my liking. The dealer who had taken it on trade was notorious for cutting deals near closing time on Fridays after a couple of drinks. I got it for $275 when I was a dirt poor student. Back then, I found a handful of vintage American made Jazzmasters and Jaguars. They were cheaper than Strats and Teles of the same vintage, but still too much for me. A friend of mine and I used to spend our lunchbreaks and Saturdays searching out pawnshops and used instrument stores for vintage axes. That was before anything with Fender on it was jacked up in price eventhough the guitar itself had been raped (started to see a lot of mismatched necks and bodies at outrageous prices by the mid-90's). We saw the Mosrite that Pat Smears played with Nirvana on the In Utero tour. Saw Sonic Youth live so I could see Thurston Moore's candy apple red Jazzmaster which was eventually stolen. Saw Dinosaur Jr. so I could see J. Mascis's Jaguar. Man, that brings back memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    The Phantom Band - Checkmate Savage; this is my favorite listen lately - vary good debut from this Scottish band. Not sure how to describe their sound besides big and bold. There is some monster bass on this disc too.
    I picked this up a couple of months ago, just before the hammer fell. It is a good album. Musically and vocally they remind me of Dismemberment Plan to an extent, especially the empasis on bass. They never delve into Pavement/Modest Mouse style quirkery the way DP did, at least not on this debut. But its in the ballpark.

Oh, and 3LB...
    I believe the Union album is an iTunes exclusive. Or at least it was when I bought it.
    me hate iTunes

I picked this up a couple of months ago, just before the hammer fell. It is a good album. Musically and vocally they remind me of Dismemberment Plan to an extent, especially the empasis on bass. They never delve into Pavement/Modest Mouse style quirkery the way DP did, at least not on this debut. But its in the ballpark.
    Didn't really make the DP connection - I've read comparisons to Stereolab and their ilk, but I'm not very familiar with Stereolab so hard to comment. I'll throw out the name The Boo Radley's, but I'm not really convinced. Anyway, big bass-heavy sound with a little bit of jam-band influence in places - especially considering the average song length - plenty of big power chords that rear their heads once in a while. I'd place their influences in classic 70s rock rather than 80s punk-wave. There's even some folk-rock influence too, a la The Strawbs ("Island"). And I do like that Scottish accent.

As an aside, I never really took to Dismemberment Plan; too much quirk, not enough hooks to keep my foot to tapping. (I actually preferred the more conventional "Change" to the more critically acclaimed "Emergency & I") but strangely enough, a song by Travis Morrison (DP frontman I guess) has found its way onto my computer - I don't know how or from where, don't even know the title of the song, but it's become a little bit of a musical obsession for me lately - go figure.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

I'm really pretty astounded by how good the latest Uriah Heep disc is, Wake The Sleeper. There's a listen to it button at the top of that page. The first track is kind of a throwaway, just kinda showing you they have chops, but it doesn't do much. When the second track kicks in, it's Go Time.

Only original guy left is Mick Box on guitar, but the singer they've got (Bernie Shaw) sounds a lot like David Byron, but adds enough of his own so he's not a copy. Takes me back!

It's a vital hard rock album, with a lot of hooks and keen ideas, good keyboard work & harmonies, and Box is no slouch on guitar. Pretty cool for a guy who's about 180 years old.

I haven't been a UH fan since Sweet Freedom, but I'm glad I took a chance & picked this up. You might be, too, if you like hard rock w/ a touch of prog,

fp

Speaking of Wilco . . . .

...this just leaked:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    ...this just leaked:
    Holy mother of gawd. That might just be my favorite album cover of the 21st century.

Leak, you say? (insert single raised eyebrow emoticon, whatever that is)
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

...this just leaked:
    What's it called...My Humps

or does this mean they've made a prog album that sounds like Camel?

...this just leaked:
    ...and you can't imagine the f-ing mess it made.

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    ...and you can't imagine the f-ing mess it made.
    I'm just stending here waiting in ze evening, and it's nice outside...
    ( Rest obscured by pseudo-operatic voices )

NYAAH NYAAH NYAAH NYAAH
    NYAAH NYAAH NYAAH NYAAH

Did you get any
    Onya onya onya
    Onya onya onya

- Frank Zappa

What's it called?
    It's called (are you sitting down?) . . . . . Wilco (The Album) and the first track is "Wilco (The Song)". Only one spin so far but me likey. A little more life (less mellow) to it than their last one.

Now that makes four very good albums I'm listening to but waiting for the real thing to get released on CD (the others are John Vanderslice, Future Of The Left, and Danger Mouse/Sparklehorse).
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information