The illegitimate spawn...

of Jimi Hendrix and James Brown......

The Artist Once Again Known as

Prince!!!!

Helluva halftime show..

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Gotta admit, he stole the show...easily my favorite Half-time show since...well, I can't remember the last one I really liked. Guess that would be Michael Jackson at back in 1993 or so?...you know, before he became fodder for even the worst of comedians.

Honorable mention to Stevie Wonder and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy a few years back.

Forum Regular
    Yes, that halftime show thoroughly failed to suck. The rain didn't seem to slow Prince down a bit. Here is the set list I found on the web -- of course these weren't full-length versions of the songs and in some instances the snippet was brief:

We Will Rock You intro
    Let’s Go Crazy
    1999 (short interlude)
    Baby I’m a Star >
    Proud Mary >
    Baby I’m a Star
    All Along the Watchtower (brief) >
    Best Of You
    Purple Rain

Interesting choice on mixing in some All Along the Watchtower with a Foo Fighters cover -- worked for me. Anyhow, it was nice that they kept with His Purpleness and didn't mix in 20 guest stars.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

The artist...

...now known as ZZZ-zzzz-z-z-z-z-z...Wuz we watchin' the same show? Maybe it was the dancing girls whut had ya'll mes-mo-rized...

The only reason my wife (yep, my wife) insisted on taping/viewing the game was to see the commercials, which were another snore-fest in our collective opinion (bring back the f@rting horses puh-leeese) and to see the half-time festivities of Prince...She kept asking me all these dumb questions like as though being in possesion of a penis, imbued me with an intimate knowledge of a pastime I couldn't give a r@t's @$$ less about...she tends to forget this salient fact...But, to be fair, we both are getting on ...

Let's not even touch the now-ubiquitous Queen-We-Will-Rock-You intro...First time cool, everything thereafter, like an SVI thread: Oh! good Lord, not again!

The whole Hendrix-like posturing may have been OK at some point in time but, the constant repetition of the right-arm slash-while hammering-on with the left, in the overdriven JH style gets old real quick...Prince, I saw the Experience and you are not really much of one...First, mere snippets of his better stuff and then an anemic, near-karoke cover of Ike&Tina's uptempo cover of Fogerty's CCR hit of Proud Mary and the re-do of Dylan's All Along The Watchtower which was neither Dylan NOR Hendrix...nor particularly entertaining...

And then there's the head thing...Was it a do-rag or fashion scarf as per the debate among the AM wagging tongues? To me, looked like something "Rosie the riveter" may have worn in a WWll "Buy Bonds" poster...Sheesh...and every time I shook my head or made some remark, my wife would counter that at one time he had so much promise...

jimHJJ(...McCartney was better...and he pretty much sucked...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

He put on a good show. Those halftime shows are about as impossible of a gig as it can get with the crap sound in such a gigantic venue and the need to visually fill space as well. Toss in the weather and those were about as poor of conditions to perform in as it could get. But, he managed to keep everyone entertained and really made the venue his own for a few minutes there. I would have picked different songs, but he did well with all the material and no matter what sngs he would pull out of such a long catalog, he was leaving off tons of good stuff people would have wanted to hear. I would have preferred more of his own material over the Proud Mary and All Along the Watchtower bits, but there were other people who really got into those segments. He gave the people what they wanted for the most part.

Was it a fantastic concert appearence? Well, no, but I'd argue that it isn't possible to give such at a sporting event halftime show anyway.

Was it about as good as a halftime performance for a sporting event could get? Hell, yeah. I've never seen better.

Now, had he launched into Controversy...things wouldda really been gettin outta control.

I'll just stop with saying Prince is an amazing performer who showed he can still bring it.
    Last edited by nobody; 02-05-2007 at 01:20 PM.

There seems to be a bit of complaining towards Prince's selections of songs, but I think his selections were perfect for the type of venue. He did the classics of his past and then mixed in some personal touches of a few other classics from other people and then did a newer song that has appeal and popularity, so I think he covered a great range of material and the transitions between them all was awesome. Anyone who has been involved in performing arts already realizing what a feat this all was.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    For me the highlight of Prince's performance is when my mother turned to me and with a tone of disgust asked "Is he one of yours"? I responded with "I do not think so but mom I am one of yours". Maybe it was the hat.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Jimi Hendrix did a lot of covers. Maybe he's going "old school"...?
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Well, yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    ...Jimi Hendrix did a lot of covers...
    ...but he always seemed to bring something new to the table...the two from Prince I mentioned just sorta' laid there...

jimHJJ(...it's like hearin' Beatles tunes on Target ads, just annoying noise...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Thread Information