Forum Regular

Callisto - if you like Isis, check them out

The cd is called "True Nature Unfolds" excellent melodic metal, very very similar to Isis.

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    The cd is called "True Nature Unfolds" excellent melodic metal, very very similar to Isis.
    Thanks for the tip! I really like what I've heard of the most recent Isis album.

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Forum Regular

welcome!

I agree, the latest Isis album is excellent!!!!

you may want to check out November's Doom as well.

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    Thanks for the tip! I really like what I've heard of the most recent Isis album.

-jar

ok so they have a song called "Masonic" I'm definately going to have to check them out now.

-jar

The Replacements

Forum Regular

Lol!

you'll have to let me know what you think!

ok so they have a song called "Masonic" I'm definately going to have to check them out now.

-jar

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    Interesting thing I just discovered, Mieszko Talarczyk, the producer of "True Nature Unfolds" was killed in the Tsunami disaster in Thailand.

Apparently he was the singer/guitarist for the Swedish grindcore band Nasum.

-jar

The Replacements

Forum Regular

damn

that sucks. interesting tidbit though.

so have you heard the cd yet?

Interesting thing I just discovered, Mieszko Talarczyk, the producer of "True Nature Unfolds" was killed in the Tsunami disaster in Thailand.

Apparently he was the singer/guitarist for the Swedish grindcore band Nasum.

-jar

Suspended
    OK, I'm always looking for new sounds, so when I see some band here I haven't heard before I check them out. I went to Amazon and clicked on Isis, the first album I checked was Panoptic. The sound samples made me think this was some kind of space rock or something similar to Kitaro. I noticed in the related bands Mastadon, I think that's a cool name let me check them out. The samples sound like Thrash Metal and all real similar to one another. I'm thinking Amazon is usually pretty good about linking me to similar bands, what's going on here? So I go back and click on Oceanic, oh now I kind of get it. What's up with Panoptic, is it like Opeth's Damnation, a one of a kind from this band or was the samples misleading? I did find Isis interesting what would be the best first album to get to show what this band is about?

Forum Regular
    Panopticon is an excellent album. The thing with Isis is the vocals are "cookie monster" vocals as someone on this boards describes the sort of screaming from early Opeth, Isis, etc.
    I would recommend either Oceanic or Panopticon.

Mastodon is good too, but obviously use the cookie monster vocals as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    OK, I'm always looking for new sounds, so when I see some band here I haven't heard before I check them out. I went to Amazon and clicked on Isis, the first album I checked was Panoptic. The sound samples made me think this was some kind of space rock or something similar to Kitaro. I noticed in the related bands Mastadon, I think that's a cool name let me check them out. The samples sound like Thrash Metal and all real similar to one another. I'm thinking Amazon is usually pretty good about linking me to similar bands, what's going on here? So I go back and click on Oceanic, oh now I kind of get it. What's up with Panoptic, is it like Opeth's Damnation, a one of a kind from this band or was the samples misleading? I did find Isis interesting what would be the best first album to get to show what this band is about?

Forum Regular
    Mastodon is really unique for the genre, kind of grindcore/thrash with some jazzy elements and time signatures. The so-called "cookie monster" vocals aren't for everyone, but those who do get it are hooked.

If you're into this style, I would also recommend Dark Tranquillity, one of the founders of the Gothenburg death-metal movement, if you haven't been exposed to them before.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Hey dude. Well, Isis may have their moments that come across as sounding like space rock, but obviously no, that's really not their style. If I had to, I would classify Isis as progressive hard rock, but given the vast limitations of a genre label, I'd rather just freeform describe them. I'd say they're a hard rock/heavy metal band with progressive leanings. These are manifested as typically long songs with several shifts of pace, rhythm, and occasionally time signature, while usually not straying too far from a consistent melodic theme; a propensity towards the compounded development of simple melodies into complex structures with intricate rhythms; and the usage of explosive contrast, among many other devices. Newer material is mostly comprised of longer songs, but in their earlier material the typical song length was shorter. Styles range from very slow and plodding and almost ambient, to incredibly quick, loud and heavy, while never being fast and overly thrashy.

Soundwise: The singing ranges from natural to growly/screamy, with the latest album, Panopticon, receiving the most amount of natural singing to date. When done, the growling/screaming is incredibly tasteful and conveys a strong sense of emotion, as opposed to the laughable juvenile turn-off delivered by the vast majority of heavy metal bands around. Singer Aaron Turner has a great voice, and one of the few growls that I've ever heard that I honestly adore, let alone tolerate. Guitar tones are very cool and somewhat unique. Melodies range from simple to incredibly complex, involving strong rhythmic interplay between the lead, rhythm and bass guitars. At their peaks they are incredibly beautiful, intense, and infectious. Bass has a strong presence in the mix and is done very well, with a participation proportioned just right to lay a solid foundation while leaving room for the interplay between the rest of the instruments. Drumming is very good and sufficiently complex and unpredictable, while drum tones are unique and very cool.

I really love Isis, and rank them up there with Tool, Korn and Type O Negative as one of my favorite hard rock/heavy metal bands.

Whew, so that's kind of Isis in a nutshell, from my perspective. Of course, the only way to truly know what they're like and what you think of them is to try them for yourself!

In my opinion, either Oceanic or Panopticon is the best place to start. Oceanic was my first encounter with them, and obviously had what it took to get me hooked. I would say that on average it's a bit darker, though it does still of course have its moments of hope and beauty. The sound is fairly consistent throughout: the singing here is mostly growly, songs are long and slow-building, and some are relatively straightforward, while a few could be considered to be very progressive. Production is very good with a great sonic mix but a slight murkiness around the edges keeping it from scoring full marks on the fidelity scale. I find it to be a solid album throughout and have listened to it a copious amount of times and am still always eager to hear it one more time.

Panopticon is, as it appears you already realize, a slight departure from Oceanic, though not a significant one. It features more natural singing, and the tone of the album is on average a little less dark then the previous one, though of course it still covers the range from very dark to upbeat and hopeful. There's a bit more variety on here than on Oceanic, I would say. More of the songs contain progessive elements and only a few could be considered straightforward. There are some amazingly intense melodies on this disc, and I find that I get more of them randomly stuck in my head from this album than the others. Production is excellent, and a sonic step up from Oceanic. I haven't logged as many listens to it as I have to Oceanic, for no other reason that that it's newer and I haven't owned it for as long. I have no complaints with the direction Isis took on this album at all, and would easily recommend either this one or Oceanic for an introduction to this band. I don't find this album to be a one-off like Opeth's Damnation at all, but rather just an evolution of Isis' style, in keeping with the always welcome changes that have transpired from one album to the next.

Their prior LP, Celestial, and even older EP's Red Sea and Mosquito Control (the 2/3 that I own), are all very good, but in my opinion not as good as their 2 newest albums. They definitely have their moments, and at these moments they're as good as anything they do now, but on average they're a lot more hit and miss. There are tracks that I want to skip and sometimes annoying sounds and samples segueing things along, along with less creativity, less talent in their playing as they learn their trade, and lower quality production, leading to an overall lack of awesomeness compared to the newest albums. However, once a fan, you will definitely still want to check out these discs.

Regarding the Mastodon comparison, hahah, I hear ya. I of course have also been on Amazon and linked to Mastodon. I listened to the sound samples, and you know what? They're all just different segments of the ONE same song! How F'd up is that?! So of course, I don't really know how Mastodon sounds in general, just that one song, and so I can't really comment on just how much I feel it is similar to Isis. However, given how Isis covers a pretty wide spectrum, I CAN see, even just from that one song sample, how parts of their style could can be compared to Mastodon. Some day I will check those guys out.

Well Mr. Peabody, I hope I've enticed you to check out Isis. They are well worth it. In my opinion, they're an excellent band, one of my favorites and one of the best around. Giggitty giggitty.

Duds, thanks for the tip! As a huge Isis fan, I will have to check out Callisto.

Forum Regular

Welcome!

Wow, great post about Isis. After reading that, i hope I am accurate with the Callisto!!!! I found them to be similar to Isis, I hope you do as well.

Also, I'm a huge Tool fan, as well as Type O

Quote Originally Posted by RJW1138
    Duds, thanks for the tip! As a huge Isis fan, I will have to check out Callisto.

Neurosis I think would deserve a mention in this thread as well. I think they are probably more "linked" to Isis than Mastdon, but all 3 are great bands.

I hear some Slint or maybe Mogwai influence in the stuff I've heard from Panopticon. One of the few instances where I've heard Post-rock leanings in a heavier band like Isis. I think it's great. Some parts of the Isis I've heard reminds me of an old band from about 10 years ago called Engine Kid.

-jar

The Replacements

I tried getting into Neurosis, picking up Through Silver In Blood after hearing much acclaim about that one, but I must say I was disappointed. Sure, I don't mind it, but I certainly don't think it lives up to the hype, and don't really see the alleged similarities to the other bands that are always mentioned, like Isis. I thought it was more style over substance, slow, repetitive, almost boring and very short on melody. I guess it's just not my cup o' tea. Too bad, really. I'm always looking for more great metal bands, as the list of ones I like is VERY short. Please don't stop suggesting them though!

I don't know Slint, but am quite familiar with Mogwai, and you're definitely right about the influence there in Panopticon, which I never really caught on to before. I knew that they toured together though, and I knew that Isis are fans of Mogwai, so I guess that all makes sense.

Is Engine Kid worth checking out? Callisto, November's Doom, Dark Tranquility, Engine Kid. Oy, I have no idea if my crappy local retailers will even be able to order these, and I fear that these mentions are going go be near impossible to sample online. I'm very trepidatious about buying unheard because I've obviously been burnt a few times doing that...

Suspended
    Wow, thanks for the great review.o I'll put Panopticon on my to buy list. Good production and leaning toward the progressive sounds like a good place to start.

Thread Information