New Raveonettes anybody?

The Raveonettes: Raven in the Grave

I'm a long time fan of this band and this record continues their form of staying true enough to their sound to be instantly recognizable yet still doing something slightly different on each record. Compared to the last one, this is a much less rhythmic affair and instead trades heavily in echoey atmospherics. I think the Sune Rose Wagner is criminally overlooked as a guitar player and this album again presents plenty of examples of what he does so well. I admit when I first heard these guys I thought they were fun but little more than a Jesus & Mary Chain copycat, but I think they have long surpassed one-trick-pony status and continue to put out strong records. Another winner in my book.

Also...is anyone not in love with Sharin Foo?

I always preferred...

....Goobers over Raisinettes, but that's just a matter of personal taste.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    Also...is anyone not in love with Sharin Foo?
    How could one not be? She's rather Uma-esque...

I really liked Lust, Lust, Lust so I'll probably grab the new one when time permits.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Going to go see them in a small club in a couple weeks...will need to make sure I wear a shirt I don't mind getting drool all over.

Men are such pigs...

Going to go see them in a small club in a couple weeks...will need to make sure I wear a shirt I don't mind getting drool all over.
    ...and I can oink with the best of them.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Gee, I though I'd get a groan at least for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    ....Goobers over Raisinettes, but that's just a matter of personal taste.
    Am I the only one who remembered that jingle (Goobers and Raisinettes...)? Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    It's a matter of conditioning. You're even less witty than that on a fairly consistent basis and we're all used to it.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Hey! I'm among the funniest people on the planet!

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    It's a matter of conditioning. You're even less witty than that on a fairly consistent basis and we're all used to it.
    Well, maybe only mildly amusing, but I resemble your comments!

Go Flyers

Rae
    EDIT: Meant to reply to a different thread. My feelings about the Raveonettes are neutral.

~Rae

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar

Hmmm maybe a change of underwear too?

Yeah, I've been digging that band since their first album though I don't have this one yet, but now that you mention it, I probably will by the end of the day, so thank you.

Most of my time has been with The Boxer Rebellion's "The Cold Still". I should have overplayed that by now but somehow I keep on listening.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Rae
    Hey Jim, did you catch that odd Drew Barrymore/Justin Long flick from last year, Going the Distance? It had a few moments that elevated it above the average romantic comedy but overall I don't think I could recommend it as a film... but anyway, really prominently featured the Boxer Rebellion, even as a crucial part of a plot twist near the end of the movie.

~Rae

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    Hey Jim, did you catch that odd Drew Barrymore/Justin Long flick from last year, Going the Distance? It had a few moments that elevated it above the average romantic comedy but overall I don't think I could recommend it as a film... but anyway, really prominently featured the Boxer Rebellion, even as a crucial part of a plot twist near the end of the movie.

~Rae
    Romantic comedy? Not unless it was a baseball themed one : )

The new Boxer Rebellion disc is exactly what the last Interpol disc should have been like. Post Punk junkies that dig Bloc Party and The Editors et. al. would probably really like this disc.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Romantic comedy? Not unless it was a baseball themed one : )

The new Boxer Rebellion disc is exactly what the last Interpol disc should have been like. Post Punk junkies that dig Bloc Party and The Editors et. al. would probably really like this disc.

jc
    Union was my Album of the Year in 2009. And that was one of the better music years in recent memory.

I have The Cold Still, but haven't had a chance to play it much yet. We just got back from a long trip. I'll try to catch up with it this week.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    Union was my Album of the Year in 2009. And that was one of the better music years in recent memory.

I have The Cold Still, but haven't had a chance to play it much yet. We just got back from a long trip. I'll try to catch up with it this week.
    You will love it, it's pretty much amazing.

jc

Thread Information