Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Beyonce pictures in SI

This post is intended to show no disrespect for Beyonce, who is an excellent singer and performer (and becoming a good songwriter) and general class act (Jaz-Z, you lucky bastard) and has under her belt some of the best popular pop songs of the last few years. ("Crazy in Love", "Irreplaceable", etc., plus some earlier monster hits with Destiny's Child.)

So having acknowledged that, and being a fan of hers, I feel both emininantly qualified to ask, and guiltless in asking . . . . um, have you seen those pictures of her in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue?!? Amazing!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/fea...yonce/?cnn=yes

Well, this is just ridiculous. It took this long for someone to post some words of thanks for such a thoughtful post from Darius? Or, did everyone else already know about it?

no, we just don't really care, or at least I don't.

They were included in the "drool" thread by Nod.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

That makes...

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    no, we just don't really care, or at least I don't.
    ...two of us...

jimHJJ(...ditto...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I remain un-sylvan.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

seen her, didn't like her too much,

and since when can she sing? let alone write songs?

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    I remain un-sylvan.
    that's just too much information.

I think I made mention of her during the Prince superbowl thread. As she should have been the half time show. Put the best/popluar talent on stage to go with the best game in town. Like her or not you have to admit she has the total package. As we in Cali put it she got L.A. face with an Oakland booty. And the real killer is she only 25 and been in the biz at the top for over ten years now. Not one of the other pop princess (brit,christina,Jessica) can hold a candle to her. The only one that is even close may be Gwen S., but she way behind the power curve. Beyonce is way out in front and with her doing more acting roles she taking the game and tilted it on its ear.

Singer (mulitable grammy's as group and solo)
    Clothing line
    Perfume
    Cover Girl spokeperson
    Serveral movie roles under her belt (Gold member, fighting Temptations, Dream Girls)

I bet she will be up for the next bond movie, and that will put her at the level of being one of the sexist women on the planet.
    Last edited by recoveryone; 02-22-2007 at 03:39 PM.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

I never realized that having a clothing line and perfume made you talented or for that matter made people really care about you. I shall forever be enlightened.

the point was that she is everywhere making money off her talent. You don't see courtney Love getting any fashion deal's lol
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Forum Regular
    There are so many factors that keep her from being noted and given proper respect by folks on this board, despite her popularity and critical acclaim.

She practices in pop and r&b genres, and she's young, pretty, female and black. And she wasn't around in the 70s. But c'mon, she has made some of the most popular and critically acclaimed pop songs of the past decade -- and I would argue some of the best (hello? Survivor and Crazy in Love, for example, are just classics). She's classy, smart, nice, and totally beautiful. But she's pop, she's popular, she's young, she's female, and she's black. And thus she won't get much respect on this board. But I don't mean to play the race card too much or sound too inflamatory; by far the fact that she is pop and young, and to a lesser extent female, are the main demographic factors that keep the fogey rockists on this board from considering her talents properly. I think black is only a very small part of it, and certainly not in any intentional or over-the-top fashion -- let's face it, most white music listeners over a certain age like their black pop stars the way they like their black leaders: from the 60s. Doesn't meant they're horrible racists or anything. But anyway, how about those pictures?

She plays her cello about 5 hours a day.

Now if that was true, I think bobsticks would lick the bow she uses..which happened to be made out of my pubic hair.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DariusNYC
    Whine whine whine. But anyway, how about those pictures?
    Can't we just dislike her because she's "not our thing", as it were? Must there be a reason? Must we analyze everything to death? I'm not saying we need to avoid analyzing whatsoever, but...I mean, c'mon, let's play the "most resembling" card -- what do I listen to, that even remotely resembles Beyonce's music?
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

yes, she's making money out of everything she does, yes she's hyper popular,
    but, if beyonce was a 70 year old fat & ugly granny, would she be so popular then? I don't think so...

I'm not saying that you can't like her, seriously, you can...

keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

There are so many factors that keep her from being noted and given proper respect by folks on this board, despite her popularity and critical acclaim.

She practices in pop and r&b genres, and she's young, pretty, female and black. And she wasn't around in the 70s. But c'mon, she has made some of the most popular and critically acclaimed pop songs of the past decade -- and I would argue some of the best (hello? Survivor and Crazy in Love, for example, are just classics). She's classy, smart, nice, and totally beautiful. But she's pop, she's popular, she's young, she's female, and she's black. And thus she won't get much respect on this board. But I don't mean to play the race card too much or sound too inflamatory; by far the fact that she is pop and young, and to a lesser extent female, are the main demographic factors that keep the fogey rockists on this board from considering her talents properly. I think black is only a very small part of it, and certainly not in any intentional or over-the-top fashion -- let's face it, most white music listeners over a certain age like their black pop stars the way they like their black leaders: from the 60s. Doesn't meant they're horrible racists or anything. But anyway, how about those pictures?
    Nothing against her. She's alright. Just not what I'm looking for. I'll be glad to look at her when Jessica Alba is not around instead.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I bought the new Britney perfume..."Bald"...the total package...sheesh.
    TV: LG 50PC3D plasma tv
    Receiver: Yamaha RX-V659
    DVD: Philips DVP5960
    Speakers: front/Paradigm Monitor 3 v.4, surround/Paradigm Atoms v.4, center/Paradigm CC290 v.5, sub/Paradigm PDR-12
    Remote: Harmony 659

I think Britney Spears is courting me from afar. She's taken on all the behaviors of about 90% of the women I've been with...shaving her head, crazy as a loon, in and out of rehab, whacked out on god knows what, hasn't worked in ages. She's just gonna have to face the fact that I'm married. Jeez, I wish she'd leave me alone.

Oh...and I'm with Dusty on you don't have to be anti-black to not like Beyonce's music. I like plenty of black artists both contemporary and classic but just don't care about her brand of pop. Nice pics though.

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    yes, she's making money out of everything she does, yes she's hyper popular,
    but, if beyonce was a 70 year old fat & ugly granny, would she be so popular then? I don't think so...

I'm not saying that you can't like her, seriously, you can...

keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    My Friend you have totally gone off the reservation, first you say she can't sing or write and now you campare her to a 70 year old. When was the last time you ever heard of a 70 year old pop star? So your point is as best mute. I don't think SI will be putting 70 year olds on the front cover anytime soon and who knows she may still be making movies when she reaches that age. But she would'nt be consider a pop star at that point, just an artist with 65 years in the biz.

Remember old Blue eyes (Frank) he started as a pop star and look how long he stayed in the biz (singing and acting). Popular culture defines what is hot, the test of time detreminds who are the real artist.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

She practices in pop and r&b genres, and she's young, pretty, female and black. And she wasn't around in the 70s.
    It would have been a much more relevant post had you just stopped at the pop and r&b. This board is preoccupied with rock in one form or another and it's hard to find an example of anyone from the mainstream or indie music world who is young, pretty, female, and black that rocks. Really, do you like her because she's young, pretty, female and black? It's about the music, it speaks to you or it doesn't. Not only should you have not played the race card too much, you shouldn't have played it at all. I thnk you're out of touch with the people on this board or you wouldn't have been so quick to insult the majority of us with the lamest argument this board has seen for quite a while.

-or- maybe you're just trying to incite discussion which wouldn't be such a bad thing.

jc
    Last edited by Jim Clark; 02-23-2007 at 09:02 PM.
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

let's clear things up:

I have nothing against her, nor do I have something against anyone else,
    but I just ment that her popularity is mostly based on her looks.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    she has made some of the most popular and critically acclaimed pop songs of the past decade -- and I would argue some of the best (hello? Survivor and Crazy in Love, for example, are just classics).
    I'll agree that she's beautiful. But as for her songs...can't say that I've ever heard of either of the songs that you mention. No reflection on her talent or lack of, it's just not a genre of music that I listen to.

As for the rest of your post. It's just insulting.

most white music listeners over a certain age like their black pop stars the way they like their black leaders: from the 60s.
    That's the most absurd statement that I've ever seen on this board. I like ALL my pop stars the way I like ALL my leaders. Talented in their line of work. I don't give a rat's ass what colour they are. You can't see colour with your ears.

But anyway, how about those pictures?
    I'm holding out for the Male swimsuit issue. I'm young...I can wait.
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 02-23-2007 at 04:24 PM.

I think Darius was a bit defensive in his comments, and maybe this dialog will enlighten him in future threads. But some of the remarks made were also inflamatory, but not to the point of using race as the reason for not liking her. I would go along with the comment made by Autumn, if your not into that style of music or never heard any of the artist work maybe the comments should be kept just to what you do know and not assume.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

When was the last time you ever heard of a 70 year old pop star?
    Have you ever heard of this aweful group called:

"The Rolling Stones" or even worst

"U2"?

geez.....

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Have you ever heard of this aweful group called:

"The Rolling Stones" or even worst

"U2"?

geez.....
    The Stones are not pop stars anymore, they pass that in the 60's you totally miss the point my friend. Pop star= mass media appeal, crazed fans, Top 40 chart topper.

I would classify the Stones as Rock n Roll Icons (Artist) already in the hall of fame

U2 have only been around since the 80's (Pop stars late 80's)
    Last edited by recoveryone; 02-23-2007 at 07:00 PM.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information