Nightwish:Once // a review

Just picked this one up today and I have to say that I'm impressed. This is another European metal band with both female and male lead vocal, of course with emphasis on the female, not unlike Lacuna Coil. But in this case, the female singer is Tarja Turunen, a classicaly trained vocalist who places more emphasis on emotion and not technical prowess. Its unfair to compare the two, being that Lacuna Coil's Cristi Scabbia is more of the '70s/'80s school of rock, whilst Tarja's sound is indicative of her training. But technically speaking, Tarja blows all other female leads outta da water!

Imagine if a young Annie Halsam fronted a latter-day Metallica, backed by a full orchestra. If you liked Metallica's S&M, well that release is a joke compared to Once, which is the best example I've ever heard of metal with symphonic accompaniment, period. This doesn't sound like dark metal that someone decided to 'add' orchestral imbellishments to after the 'real' album was mixed. Its sounds totally intergrated, written and played as one, and beauitfully done I might add.

Everything I might want to fix or improve upon with Lacuna Coil is all right there in Nightwish. Where Lacuna Coil is somber and sedate, Nightwish is majestic and brash. And the lyrical content is better. Sure, there'll be a place in my collection for Lacuna Coil, but I'm definately going to buy this band's back catalog. Recommended.

Hi 3LB

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Just picked this one up today and I have to say that I'm impressed. This is another European metal band with both female and male lead vocal, of course with emphasis on the female, not unlike Lacuna Coil. But in this case, the female singer is Tarja Turunen, a classicaly trained vocalist who places more emphasis on emotion and not technical prowess. Its unfair to compare the two, being that Lacuna Coil's Cristi Scabbia is more of the '70s/'80s school of rock, whilst Tarja's sound is indicative of her training. But technically speaking, Tarja blows all other female leads outta da water!

Imagine if a young Annie Halsam fronted a latter-day Metallica, backed by a full orchestra. If you liked Metallica's S&M, well that release is a joke compared to Once, which is the best example I've ever heard of metal with symphonic accompaniment, period. This doesn't sound like dark metal that someone decided to 'add' orchestral imbellishments to after the 'real' album was mixed. Its sounds totally intergrated, written and played as one, and beauitfully done I might add.

Everything I might want to fix or improve upon with Lacuna Coil is all right there in Nightwish. Where Lacuna Coil is somber and sedate, Nightwish is majestic and brash. And the lyrical content is better. Sure, there'll be a place in my collection for Lacuna Coil, but I'm definately going to buy this band's back catalog. Recommended.

Is this release available on LP/vinyl?
    "And the three gifts of moving on are forgiveness, hope, and the great beyond, After that perhaps peace can come, Peace will come." -- Mary Chapin Carpenter (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Girl
    Is this release available on LP/vinyl?
    I have no idea!

I didn't figure you would have any interest though...I kinda been on a metal bent latley.

Ok, there are a couple of songs where she could dial it down a notch, but still, its a fun departure.

Escapist rock...over the top at times...but poetic and musical nontheless.

How's it going anyway, Mary?

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    You might also like Within Temptation. I don't know if you'd like them as much as Nightwish, but I think you'd like them.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular

I prefer Lacuna Coil

everyone has their own preferences though!!!

I just dont like the orchestral sound of Nightwish for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox

Forum Regular
    Once was my second favorite album of 2004, right behind Marillion's Marbles.

Well if you like those then there is also Luca Turilli. I personally can only stand Nightwish in the car since their recordings are garbage. You should look at them in a wave analyzer *shudder*....kick ass music but not for any good HIFI system sadly.
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Suspended
    I also have Once. It was in my CD player for quite awhile, I love this album. I still go back and play it more than many other albums I have. I listened to some sound bytes of their other albums but they didn't seem to have the same magic, let me know if you buy any others that are good. All aspects of the sound on this album come together to create something special, the orchestral accompaniment is just part of it. I do not like S&M and thought the orchestra didn't mix well.

In my estimation, this album works because it was written with orchestra in mind. S&M is symptomatic of all symphonized music whereby orchestral arrangements were an after-thought long after the music was written; usually by someone who knows little about the genre of the music or song for which they are attempting to score for a symphonic presentation. Ayreon and Trans Siberian Orchestra are also projects where rock and orchestra are written is unison, and the presentation comes across much more cohesively. Symphonic Yes DVD is pretty good, but there again, its hit and miss.

Forum Regular

Yess...

I absolutely love the Yes stuff on Magnification with the orchestra. They pulled it off very very well, at least to me.

One of the few rock/orchestra ones that worked, IMHO.

Of course Wakey did his 2 Journey...releases that are excellent as well.

Regards,

Dave

Thread Information