Best of the 70s

Printable View

• 06-23-2004, 10:30 AM
    Davey
    Best of the 70s
    Lists, lists, lists. Some of you that frequent Pitchfork probably already saw today's first installment of their top 100 albums of the 70s. And I'm sure it will have many inspired choices to go along with the curious and mundane selections that inevitably populate their lists. But who cares about what Pitchfork thinks? Bunch of arrogant knownothing twentysomethings! Let's do our own!

Pick your favorite 10 albums from the 70s. Put them in order, 1 to 10. Anything goes. We'll apply a weighting to the list, ten points for your number 1 and one point for your number 10. That way if we get enough responses, say 25 or so, and tally all the results, we're less likely to award a less than perfect album the top spot just because a few people had it somewhere on their list (such as the questionable choice of Stone Roses for the top spot on the Guardian Top 100 British list).

All suggestions concerning guidelines encouraged and welcome. It will probably have a lot of similarities to our <a href=http://members.mailaka.net/davey/raverecsessentials.htm>Rave Recs Essential Albums</a> list of the past, but we didn't apply a weighting system to that one.
  • 06-23-2004, 10:59 AM
    Davey
    Well, even limited to one pick per artist I've still got about 30 to think about. This might be a little harder than I thought....more later ;)

The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
    The Clash - London Calling
    Television - Marquee Moon
    Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
    Joni Mitchell - Blue
    Brian Eno - Before And After Science
    The Who - Quadrophenia
    Neil Young - After the Goldrush
    John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
    Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True
    Van Morrison - Moondance
    David Bowie - Low
    Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story
    Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food
    Queen - Night at the Opera
    Mink DeVille - Cabretta
    Graham Parker - Squeezing Out Sparks
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    T. Rex - Electric Warrior
    Van Morrison - Moondance
    Wire - Chairs Missing
    Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel 3
    Patti Smith - Easter
    Iggy and The Stooges - Raw Power
    Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town
    Led Zeppelin - IV
  • 06-23-2004, 11:49 AM
    Mr MidFi
    My attempt...
    1. Who's Next
    2. Born to Run
    3. Sticky Fingers
    4. Ziggy Stardust
    5. Armed Forces
    6. London Calling
    7. Dark Side of the Moon
    8. Zeppelin IV (actually, untitled)
    9. Damn the Torpedoes
    10. Fragile

That was hard. That was so hard, it was painful. Completing the list up to 9 was a breeze, but bumping Abbey Road, Blood on the Tracks, Trick of the Tail, Gabriel 3, etc. was like killing my own children. In fact, to hell with Fragile...put Trick of the Tail in there. No wait, don't.
  • 06-23-2004, 11:56 AM
    mad rhetorik
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
    Pick your favorite 10 albums from the 70s. Put them in order, 1 to 10.

<i>Only</i> ten!??!

10. Led Zeppelin: <b>III</b> (I'd put <b>II</b> in here but that was released in '69)
    9. The Rolling Stones: <b>Exile On Main Street</b>
    8. Black Sabbath: <b>Paranoid</b>
    7. Pink Floyd: <b>Animals</b>
    6. The Who: <b>Quadrophenia</b>
    5. Bob Dylan: <b>Blood On The Tracks</b>
    4. The Ramones: debut
    3. Wire: <b>Pink Flag</b>
    2. Joy Division: <b>Unknown Pleasures</b>

And # 1 is.....

Neil Young: <b>On The Beach</b>

It was really tough for this know-nothing twentysomething to call just ten picks. Runners-up:

The Stooges: <b>Fun House</b>
    Pink Floyd: <b>The Wall</b>, <b>Dark Side Of The Moon</b>
    Led Zeppelin: <b>Physical Graffitti</b>
    King Crimson: <b>Red</b>
    Neil Young: <b>Tonight's The Night</b>, <b>Zuma</b>
    Black Sabbath: <b>Master Of Reality</b>
    The Clash: debut, <b>London Calling</b>
    Television: <b>Marquee Moon</b>
    Bruce Springsteen: <b>Darkness On The Edge Of Town</b>
    Mahavishnu Orchestra: <b>Birds Of Fire</b>
    The Who: <b>Who's Next</b>
    The Ramones: <b>Rocket To Russia</b>
    Nick Drake: <b>Pink Moon</b>, <b>Five Leaves Left</b>
    David Bowie: <b>Station To Station</b>, <b>Low</b>, <b>Heroes</b>

(not counting any live albums)
  • 06-23-2004, 01:39 PM
    nobody
    What the heck...here's ten..random order alert...these are as they come to my head...nothing more than that...

Bob Marley: Catch a Fire (but the Congos: Heart of Darkness that I'm just starting to get into may someday obliviate all reggae in it's path, fantastic percussion on that one)

Public Image Limited: First Issue

Marvin Gaye: What's Going On?

KISS

Thin Lizzy: Jailbreak

Bob Dylan: Blood on the Tracks

Ramones

Lou Reed; Transformer

Isaac Hayes: Hot Buttered Soul

Willie Nelson: Red Headed Stranger

David Bowie: Hunky Dory

Crap...that's 11. 'Course, I still need more room to toss something on there by Willie Nelson, and probably the Stones (either Sticky Fingers or Some Girls) I need Iggy Pop! Where's Al Green? Who? Tons missing...that'll have to do for now. Ten ain't much. H<a>ell, I left out the Clash...the younger me will never forgive my haggared old a<a>ss. Watcha gonna do?
  • 06-23-2004, 02:17 PM
    BradH
    Danger, Will Robinson!
    Gabriel's third album was 1980.
  • 06-23-2004, 02:51 PM
    dld
    Quote:

Well, even limited to one pick per artist I've still got about 30 to think about. This might be a little harder than I thought....more later ;)

I'll start with Davey's list (Helluva lsit Lonesum Dave), and cull a few and add a few:

14. The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
    13. The Clash - London Calling
    12. Pink Floyd - The Wall
    11. The Who - Who's Next
    10. Nick Lowe - Pure Pop For Now People
    9. Yes - Fragile
    8. Led Zeppelin - IV
    7. John Lennon - Imagine
    6. Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
    5. Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story
    4. Van Morrison - Moondance
    3. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    2. Mccaw - Band On The Run
    1. George Harrison - All Things Must Pass

Thats 14 and as close as I'm getting right now. If you insist on ten, leave off the botton 4 and rerank the others from 10 (best) to 1
  • 06-23-2004, 02:52 PM
    tentoze
    Dylan, Blood On The Tracks
    Bowie, Ziggy Stardust
    Springsteen, Darkness On The Edge Of Town
    V. Morrison, Into The Music
    The Band, Stage Fright
    Guy Clark, Old #1
    Joan Armatrading, S/T
    Clash, London Calling
    Graham Parker, Howlin' Wind
    Wailers, Catch A Fire
  • 06-23-2004, 02:57 PM
    Davey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BradH
    Gabriel's third album was 1980.

Good catch. My fact checker has the day off. I always get confused with London Calling too. Is it 1979 or 1980? Seems to show up both ways. Guess it came out right at the end of 1979 so often winds up in the 1980 pile. I should leave it for the 80s. Those were some good years at the end of the 70s. I almost stuck XTC's English Settlement on my list of prospects. Now that error would've been a little worse - PG3 only missed by a few months, not a couple years like XTC :)
  • 06-23-2004, 05:09 PM
    BradH
    Quote:

Good catch. My fact checker has the day off. I always get confused with London Calling too. Is it 1979 or 1980? Seems to show up both ways. Guess it came out right at the end of 1979 so often winds up in the 1980 pile. I should leave it for the 80s. Those were some good years at the end of the 70s. I almost stuck XTC's English Settlement on my list of prospects. Now that error would've been a little worse - PG3 only missed by a few months, not a couple years like XTC :)

I remember London Calling was 1979 because Sandanista was 1980 wasn't it? I guess I could look it up but I'm pretty sure that's right. Also, keep in mind that Go4's Entertainment was out in late '79 in Britain, not a commonly know fact among the trillions of American Go4 fans. (Filthy commies. Gawd, they were good.) Like you, I remember that being a great time for music. Fantastic stuff from several different genres.

I suppose I could do my list. I don't know, it seems really painful. It's gonna hurt, isn't it? You really are evil, aren't you....(grumble grumble....weighted system grumble mumble...weigh this... mumble grumble...)
  • 06-23-2004, 07:04 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    Dave, I think you're trying too hard to be "cool"
    Tied for first place are:

1 - Animals by Pink Floyd
    1 - Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd

...see, I'm already screwing things up. You can either assign 9.5 to both of them, or someone else can choose the same two in reverse order, but I suggest the first option, since I can't be sure the latter will happen.

Dang, 1977 alone was hard enough...<s>the following is a tentative order</S> (EDIT: I think this is my final answer):

3 - Romantic Warrior by Return to Forever (can't think of too many albums better than this one...by anyone...)
    4 - Tales from Topographic Oceans by Yes (thought I'd show some love to a completely unfairly crucified album -- so what if even the band members don't like it as much as I do? It's my opinion that's being asked, not theirs.)
    5 - Klaus Schulze, Mirage (divine, blissful, delicate, beyond reproach -- one of the first truly "ambient" albums -- I still listen to it regularly...wish I had a really good recording of it)
    6 - Jeff Beck, Blow By Blow -- is this really worse than Klaus Schulze? No, of course not. We're talking albums that range from 9.8 to 10.0 on a scale of 1.0 to 10.0, so it's just a matter of taste. Hard choosing a good "guitar" album (Al Di, Tommy Bolin), but this one has "Scatterbrain"...
    7 - Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds -- some of the most emotive "produced" music, narrowly ousting the likes of Alan Parsons.
    8 - Rick Wakeman, Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table -- grandiose. Excellent use of completely overblown instrumentation -- full rock band, multiple vocalists, choir. Simply gorgeous music.
    9 - Kraftwerk, The Man Machine -- boppin'!
    10 - Deep Purple, Machine Head -- from the opening moments of "Highway Star" to the closing chords of "Space Truckin'", this flat-out rawks!

Honorable mentions (this is where I lose it):

Blue Oyster Cult, Tyranny and Mvtation, Secret Treaties, Agents of Fortune, and perhaps the first album, but the first album would be the first to fall.
    Tangerine Dream, Force Majeure -- dang, only 10?!?!? This is the perfect TaDream album...
    The Cars -- a great pre-new-wave pop album.
    Alan Parsons Project, I, Robot -- dang, only 10?!?!? Well, it does have that clunker, "Total Eclipse"...
    Jeff Beck, Wired
    Al Di Meola, Splendido Hotel
    A New World Record by ELO
    A Night at the Opera, Queen
    Crack the Sky, Safety in Numbers

Others that could have been on the list, maybe, perhaps, don't know...my brain's overloaded...

Face the Music by ELO (1975)
    Out of the Blue by ELO (1977)

Going for the One by Yes (1977)

ELP:

Brain Salad Surgery, Welcome Back My Friends..., Pictures..., Trilogy, Tarkus...

Crack the Sky, Animal Notes, Safety in Numbers

Black Sabbath, Paranoid

Styx, Grand Illusion, Equinox, Crystal Ball...hmmm...

Mike Oldfield, Tubular Bells, Ommadawn, Incantations

Vangelis, Heaven & Hell, Opera Sauvage, China, Spiral, Albedo 0.39...

Synergy, Electronic Realizations for Rock Orchestra, Sequencer

Klaus Schulze, X

Jean-Michel Jarre, Equinoxe, Oxygene

King Crimson (Islands, L, even Red with its one weak track overtakes hundreds of other albums)? Genesis (Foxtrot, Nursery Cryme, Selling England, Lamb, Trick of the Tail, Wind & Wuthering)? Jethro Tull (Aqualung, Thick as a Brick, Heavy Horses, Songs from the wood, Minstrel in the Gallery)? Rush (2112, Hemispheres, Farewell to Kings)? Foreignor? Skynyrd?

Other possible choices:

Van Halen's first album
    Devo's first album
    Judas Priest (Stained Class, Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin)
    Kansas
    Buzzcocks
    Bruford albums

Police, UK, Renaissance, Joe Walsh, Steve Hackett (Spectral Mornings, Please Don't Touch, Voyage of the Acolyte), Scorps (Lovedrive), Supertramp, Aerosmith, Rocks, Wings, Venus & Mars...

Tommy Bolin, Teaser, Private Eyes

Lpppt, this is hard...
  • 06-24-2004, 12:24 AM
    Wireworm5
    My picks
    1.Made in Japan-Deep Purple
    2.Caught in the Act-Grand Funk
    3.All the World's Stage-Rush
    4.On Stage-Rainbow
    5.Judas Priest-Unleashed in the East
    6. Jesus Christ Superstar (original London release)
    7.ELP- Show that Never Ends
    8. Killer- Alice Cooper
    9.Paranoid-Black Sabbath
    10. Equiniox- Jean Michel Jarre
  • 06-24-2004, 06:59 AM
    -Jar-
    top 10
    I know I'll want to revise this later, but oh well..

01 Pink Floyd - Animals
    02 Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    03 Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
    04 AC/DC - Let There Be Rock
    05 King Crimson - Red
    06 Public Image Ltd. - Metal Box
    07 Judas Priest - Sin After Sin
    08 Can - Ege Bamyasi
    09 The Clash - London Calling
    10 T. Rex - The Slider
  • 06-24-2004, 07:55 AM
    Davey
    OK, I'm back with my top 10. Reading some of the other lists here makes me wanna change it already. And I just checked out the second installment of the Pitchfork list and they are doing a really nice job with it, IMO. Oh well, my choices seem kinda bland but those are the ones I still listen to. Didn't wanna put something on the list that I hadn't listened to in a long time. Got some Kraftwerk playing right now and they should be on my list, but aren't. I like Dusty's choice of Man Machine probably the most. And just listened to Roxy Music's For Your Pleasure last night for the first time in quite awhile and it's still hard to believe that music like that actually topped the charts "back in the day". Too cool. Call it #11 on my list. And Jar's inspired pick of The Slider is cool too. That might be my favorite today, but I can't forget the million times I played Electric Warrior so I went with that one. Toss a coin. Same with Eno, but gotta go with my gut here and Science is the one I love the most of his 4 pop albums, even though I've developed lately a renewed love of Warm Jets that might make it my favorite at the moment. Same with Bowie too. I could pick from 4 or 5 of his 70's albums, and the last few years my fave has been The Man Who Sold The World, but Low is still the one I think of as his best and most far reaching. Either that or Ziggy or Hunky or Aladdin or Station or Diamond. Hmmm, guess I'll stick with Low.

1. The Clash - London Calling
    2. Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True
    3. Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
    4. Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
    5. David Bowie - Low
    6. Brian Eno - Before And After Science
    7. Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food
    8. T. Rex - Electric Warrior
    9. Graham Parker - Squeezing Out Sparks
    10. Mink DeVille - Cabretta
  • 06-24-2004, 08:36 AM
    Ex Lion Tamer
    This is rediculously hard. Following your guidelines (picking my favorite, not necessarily "the best"), these are the albums that got the most listening time over the years, and one's that I'll still pull out today:

Coney Island Baby
    Darkness On The Edge of Town
    Harmonium
    Another Green World
    Wish You Were Here
    Loaded
    Ziggy Stardust
    The Clash
    All Mod Cons
    Pink Flag

Notes: List is from # 10 (at the top) to #1 (at the bottom). Harmonium is the eponomously titled first release of a French-Canadian folk rock band...think Tea For the Tillerman in French, I wore out the grooves in this one back in high school. Also, though London Calling was released in December 1979, I consider it an '80s album, since when it's impact was felt. If the consensus is that it is a '70s album, that's my choice for a Clash album, (and it would be #1).

...and those that juuuust missed...
    Lola
    Quadrophenia
    Blood On the Tracks
    Tonight's The Night
    Second Contribution (Shawn Phillips)
    Paradise & Lunch (Ry Cooder)
    Oxygene (J.M. Jarre)
    Selling England By The Pound
    Hero & Heroine (Strawbs)
    Never Mind the Bollocks
    Elegant Gypsy (Al Dimeola)
    More Songs About Buildings & Food
    Inflammable Material
    Equal Rights
    Madman Across the Water
    Rattus Norvegicus
    Unknown Pleasures
    Damn the Torpedoes
    Tea for the Tillerman
    Court & Spark
    Horses
    Plastic Ono Band
    Stranded
    Brain Salad Surgery
  • 06-24-2004, 11:01 AM
    Davey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Dave, I think you're trying too hard to be "cool"

The implication being that I'm not already incredibly "cool" http://forums.audioreview.com/images...s/confused.gif
  • 06-24-2004, 11:08 AM
    Davey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    Also, though London Calling was released in December 1979, I consider it an '80s album, since when it's impact was felt. If the consensus is that it is a '70s album, that's my choice for a Clash album, (and it would be #1).

Yeah, I think we're gonna make it a 70s album even though I tend to think of it as 80s as well. Just heard that Epic is releasing an expanded new 25-year anniversary CD with a bunch of bonus tracks and a DVD. Guess that shows how much Sony Music supports Sony's own SACD format, eh?
  • 06-24-2004, 02:55 PM
    Stone
    This is incredibly hard.

1. The Clash – London Calling
    2. The Kinks – Lola . . .
    3. Ramones – Leave Home
    4. Gang of Four – Entertainment!
    5. The Modern Lovers – s/t
    6. The Clash – s/t
    7. Ramones – s/t
    8. Van Morrison – Moondance
    9. Big Star – Radio City
    10. Wire – Pink Flag

Hard for me to believe that no Marley is on the list, or that Blood on the Tracks or Fun House didn't make it, but for now (I think) these are the top 10.
  • 06-24-2004, 04:13 PM
    MindGoneHaywire
    This is difficult, but fun...I guess. The sort of fun that leaves me thinking, 'why do I care about this nonsense?' The answer, as you all well know, is because. And that's good enough for me.

1. Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers--L.A.M.F. (better than So Alone or Live At Max's. Best rock'n'roll rec of the decade? You bet yr bippy. At least until tomorrow when I'll nominate the soundtrack to the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band movie)

2. Rolling Stones--Exile On Main St. (better than Sticky Fingers, possibly the best double album of all time)

3. Ramones--Ramones (better than Road To Ruin, my other favorite Ramones album, and one that I'm pained to exclude from this top 10)

4. Iggy & The Stooges--Raw Power (better than Fun House, and one of the greatest rock-band-guitar albums of all time, never anything like it before or since, really...though that's something that can be said for most of the albums on these lists)

5. The Who--Quadrophenia (better than Who's Next, and another one of the very best double albums of all time)

6. John Lennon--Plastic Ono Band (better than Imagine)

7. Big Star--#1 Record (better than Radio City, though I've noticed over the years that some on this board disagree with me on this)

8. Soft Boys--A Can Of Bees (nearly as good as Raw Power in terms of "rock guitar" innovation, and with better lyrics, though Hitchcock's snarl doesn't quite equal Iggy's output, at least on these two albums)

9. Richard Hell & The Voidoids--Blank Generation (I like this better than Television's Marquee Moon, one of my absolute favorites from this era, Hell's best moment by a mile, and quite possibly the best work the recently departed Robert Quine ever got on tape, either)

10. You know, it's ridiculously difficult to decide here...I suppose that I should have London Calling here, it makes the most sense, though I wasn't considering it a 70s album when I went through these. If I had it might well place higher, but there's plenty of love for that record in this thread anyway. Which means that it gets the nod over Blood On The Tracks, Moondance, All Things Must Pass, In The City, This Year's Model, Labour Of Lust, David Johansen, The Dictators Go Girl Crazy, Paranoid, Serge Gainsbourg's Histoire Du Melody Nelson, and the other recs I mentioned in parentheses. At one time I might've had Houses Of The Holy or another Zep rec in there, but not at this point; and at some point in the future I might discover a jazz album I think worthy of this list, but I haven't heard it yet; my taste in jazz remains solidly restricted to (mostly) stuff recorded prior to 1965.

Half or more of my list could be considered punk rock, which should surprise no one, but this raises a point (or beats a dead horse, depending on what you think of my raising this point from time to time): beyond an elite few albums, punk rock as a genre, as well as disco, featured a lot of artists who put out great singles but not great albums. How about a thread about singles, or great singles bands? I guess I should start one myself. Unless someone beats me to it, hint, hint. If anyone cares enough, that is.
  • 06-24-2004, 05:01 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    Cult of Temperature
    Quote:

The implication being that I'm not already incredibly "cool" http://forums.audioreview.com/images...s/confused.gif

Well...there's the reality, and there's the perception. The reality is, of course, that you are already incredibly cool. But the problem is, with the perception. If you have to "try", then you're not. I know, that's overgeneralizing, but that's just the way some people work.

Hey, on a completely under-related note -- I found a magazine, "Under The Radar" (or perhaps it's Under The Weather), that's talking about the most anticipated albums of 2004 -- a lot of which you and your followers would be interested in: Voyager One, Hot Hot Heat, Sonic Youth, Sparklehorse, Polyphonic Spree, Magnetic Fields, Idlewild, Doves, Clinic, Badly Drawn Boy, Divine Comedy, The Faint, The Beta Band, Broken Social Scene, Low, The Avalanches, Rachel Goswell, Dntel, Luna, Fischerspooner, Mellowdrone, many others.

Also a feature on Martina Topley-Bird (I was hoping that she was working on a new album...she is, but the article covers the Quixotic development as well, so it's too early to tell us much, apparently) and ...Rilo Kiley...? Anyone ever heard of them?
  • 06-24-2004, 05:06 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    My bippy is worth much more to me than it is to you
    Yo, Jay -- whut, no Buzzcocks? Yes, they were a singles band, but they had so many good singles, that they had whole albums full of singles. C'mon, Another Music in a Different Kitchen, A Different Kind of Tension?

And they're punk, aren't they? They're at least pop-punk.
  • 06-24-2004, 08:10 PM
    MindGoneHaywire
    A Different Kind Of Tension is a very good album, maybe a great one, so far as I'm concerned. I'm a pretty big Buzzcocks fan, but that is by far their best album work to my ears. It probably belonged in my 'honorable mention' list at the end of my post, but I probably overlooked quite a few recs--first Damned album, X-Ray Spex, Never Mind The Bollocks, even. I definitely think of them as 'punk rock.' But they're a perfect example of what I was referring to--an outstanding singles band that for the most part didn't produce strong albums. Tension is the only rec until TTT that flowed well; the first two always struck me as being relatively choppy, disjointed even. So while the Buzzcocks remain relatively high in the mix if I'm thinking about favorite artists, this thread wasn't a place where I felt they really belonged.
  • 06-25-2004, 05:59 AM
    nobody
    The thing I both love and hate about these list threads is how I see those gaping holes in my collection. Plugging up them holes makes my ears very happy but my wallet very sad.
  • 06-25-2004, 06:13 AM
    -Jar-
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nobody
    The thing I both love and hate about these list threads is how I see those gaping holes in my collection. Plugging up them holes makes my ears very happy but my wallet very sad.

Me too.. I hardly have anything from the 70's. That Pitchfork list too.. I hardly have anything from that list either. There's always more new music. It makes it harder to go back and pick up the things you missed.

-jar
  • 06-25-2004, 06:18 AM
    Ex Lion Tamer
    I just saw the last instalment of Pitchfork's list...

Low at #1 is a huge surprise to me. Another huge surprise; no Bruce Springsteen! Generally a fine list I'd have to say, and I've concluded that I better get me some Sly & the Family Stone, besides the Greatest Hits album, not to mention Maggot Brain.