Forum Regular

Record Collectors: What are your Holy Grails that you OWN and would never part with?

Mine would be:

Yardbirds - Live w/Jimmy Page

Mythos - First (no title) on famous German OHR label

Suspended

f

I don't know about "never", I had an uncle who used to say everything is for sale at the right price. One of my cherished LP's I picked up within the last couple years Mama's Pride, debut LP which is not on CD. I have a good copy of Rare Bird's, Peace of Mind; "Long John Baldry, I have a Jimmy Whitherspoon which I didn't realize was worth so much until I seen his LP's priced used; I have a good selection of Marshall Tucker Band and at least at one point their catalog was not on CD; although I have a CD anthology of Brownsville Station I just recently found their LP that featured Martian Boogie; HSAS which I don't think ever came to CD; Gamma 1, 2 & 3, I heard Ronnie and the band made 4 in recent years before his death but I haven't heard it; I have two Nantucket titles and I believe that may be all they made; that's a few off the top of my head. I collect things I like to listen to not to hold for resale. I have several LP's that are like one hit wonder or one hit classics, like Andy Pratt's Avenging Annie or Tycoon's, Such A Woman.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I would never part with my Japan pressing CD of Gerry Rafferty's City To City.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    ... one hit wonder or one hit classics, like Andy Pratt's Avenging Annie or Tycoon's, Such A Woman.
    Another Avenging Annie lover! I got that LP back in the day, unfortunately when my playback gear left a lot to be desired. It got torn up to heck and back and I tossed it years ago thinking I'd find a decent used copy. Nope, not yet. Maybe never.

Forum Regular
    I gave up on vinyl long ago.
    But I do have a Japanese remaster of Return to Forever's ROMANTIC WARRIOR that is nothing short of awesome.............many others, but that is the first that comes to mind.
    old Denon
    older Bose
    new Velodyne sub
    new Sony 1080 LCD & BluRay
    Big, clean sound @ 800 watts

The only collectable I have worth anything is a first edition LP of Carlos Kleiber/Vienna Philharmonic's Beethoven 5th Symphony on Deutsche Grammophon.

I collect music, not so much recordings. However I do have hundreds of excellent recordings that I intend to keep.

Sergiu Celibidache Brahms 4th Symphony,(radio broadcast)
    Miles Davis,kind of Blue
    Oscar Peterson, Night Train
    Milt Jackson & Wes Montgomery,Bags meets Wes
    Joni Mitchell,Heijira
    Hank Mobley,Soul Station
    Mingus, Ah um
    Carmen Gomes inc.,Torn
    Pieter Wispelvey,J.S.Bach,cello suites 2nd recording

Suspended
    I'm not so sure about the Miles Davis unless your copy was a collector item, there are some really good pressings of this album on 180 gram vinyl and remastering.

I would add to my list a double album of Buddy Miles I recently discovered in a pile of LP's I hadn't gone through yet. I was aware of him as an artist but sadly have to admit I didn't realize he drummed for Hendrix for a while. I just added to my Collection Band of Gypsy's. I also learned he was the voice of one of the California Raisins.

Thread Information