Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Okay, I went back through the list of what I have from the oughts, and here are ten (in no particular order):

Okkervil River - Black Sheep Boy
    Joanna Newsom - Milk Eyed Mender
    High On Fire - Blessed Black Wings
    The Glands - The Glands
    Ted Leo + Pharmacists - Tyranny of Distance
    The Shins - Oh, Inverted World
    Mclusky - Do Dallas
    The Wrens - The Meadowlands
    Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat
    Raphael Saadiq - The Way I See It

Runners up:

Neko Case - Blacklisted
    Mastodon - Remission
    Destroyer - Streethawk: A Seduction
    Of Montreal - Sunlandic Twins
    Fugazi - The Argument
    Lucksmiths - Why That Doesn't Surprise Me
    Broken Family Band - Cold Water Songs
    Beulah - The Coast Is Never Clear
    Paul Westerberg - 49:00
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Well, at least I know your real identity now.

Quote Originally Posted by HoJo Hand
    Things probably change by the minute, but looking over the spines of my record collection, here are fifteen albums that I absolutely can't imagine having spent the last decade without:

Life Without Buildings - Any Other City
    Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - The Tyranny of Distance
    The Avalanches - Since I Left You
    Songs: Ohia - Didn't It Rain (and The Magnolia Electric Company)
    Joanna Newsom - The Milk-Eyed Mender
    Rapider Than Horsepower - Stage Fright Stage Fright, This Is My Big Night
    Mirah - You Think It's Like This But Really It's Like This (and Advisory Comittee)
    Jens Lekman - Oh, You're So Silent Jens (and When I Said I Wanted to Be Your Dog)
    Signal to Trust - Golden Armour
    The Make Believe - s/t EP
    Jonathan Richman - Her Mystery Not of High Heels and Eyeshadow (and Not So Much to Be Loved As To Love and Because Her Beauty Is Raw and Wild)
    Consonant - s/t (and Mission of Burma - The Obliterati)
    The Constantines - Shine a Light
    USAISAMONSTER - Tasheyana Compost
    Nina Nastasia & Jim White - You Follow Me

One particular choice gave it away, but I'm not telling which one.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Rae
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Genius
    One particular choice gave it away, but I'm not telling which one.
    Yep, I'm the only one around here who likes Jim White!

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold
    Lucksmiths - Why That Doesn't Surprise Me
    Damn, you're right on that... they pretty much could do no wrong for me all decade. "Broken Bones"... "T-Shirt Weather"... "A Downside to the Upstairs"... "Synchronised Sinking"... "There Is a Boy That Never Goes Out"... those soundtracked a lot of my moods. Maybe we should make a comp or something.

Another one that just occurred to me-- Idlewild - 100 Broken Windows. Was that in the 2000s? How about Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You?

~Rae

Au contraire monsieur!

Quote Originally Posted by Rae

Damn, you're right on that... they pretty much could do no wrong for me all decade. "Broken Bones"... "T-Shirt Weather"... "A Downside to the Upstairs"... "Synchronised Sinking"... "There Is a Boy That Never Goes Out"... those soundtracked a lot of my moods. Maybe we should make a comp or something.

Another one that just occurred to me-- Idlewild - 100 Broken Windows. Was that in the 2000s? How about Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You?

~Rae
    There are more than a few on RR who like Jim White.

The Idlewild CD was indeed released in May of 2000, and I'm disappointed I didn't place it in my top 10 o' the decade. One thing is certain, I'm going to pop that sucker in my player if I can locate it. I have at least 75% of my cds boxed up since we moved and won't unpack them until we move again in January.

Merry Happy.

Swishbaby (you're the one who added the baby to my name, bemember?)
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Swishbaby (you're the one who added the baby to my name, bemember?)
    Ah, bemembering Christmas past ...

Swish Baby (the Baby part is for Rae, if he's reading this. I promise to drop it after he's really sick of seeing it)...Dec 8, 2001 1:07...http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF63869.php

I remember it like it was yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Ah, bemembering Christmas past ...

Swish Baby (the Baby part is for Rae, if he's reading this. I promise to drop it after he's really sick of seeing it)...Dec 8, 2001 1:07...http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF63869.php

Although I don't actually bemember much about yesterday since I was sloshed on pale ale.

Good stuff dbi!

Rae
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    There are more than a few on RR who like Jim White.
    I know. That was a feeble stab at humor.

~Rae

~Rae
    I completely missed this post until now. I'm definitely up for doing a Lucksmiths comp if you want.

I came back to this thread to let you know (if you didn't already) that the early Jens Lekman EPs are available for free download (mp3) on his site. I have downloaded them, but haven't listened yet.

Also, I really need to revisit 100 Broken Windows and some of that other early Idlewild stuff. It has been quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    The Easy Allstars- Dub Side of the Moon
    Ooh, noice!

Edit: But it's Easy Star All-Stars, in case anyone's looking for it.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 01-08-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Rae
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    I came back to this thread to let you know (if you didn't already) that the early Jens Lekman EPs are available for free download (mp3) on his site. I have downloaded them, but haven't listened yet.
    I think the ones that are free there are the early tour-only EPs, not the same EPs compiled on Silent. They're a little more wide-ranging in quality.

I think I'll just send you a copy... I was thinking about sending you a disc of some selected recent Jonathan Richman anyway. PM me your address?

Oh yeah, and let's definitely do a Lucksmiths comp and brighten the lives of everyone on this forum. I wonder which stuff I actually have on CD? I know I have some vinyl too...

~Rae

Oh yeah, and let's definitely do a Lucksmiths comp and brighten the lives of everyone on this forum. I wonder which stuff I actually have on CD? I know I have some vinyl too...
    I only have Warmer Corners on CD. Too twee for me.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

I think the ones that are free there are the early tour-only EPs, not the same EPs compiled on Silent. They're a little more wide-ranging in quality.

I think I'll just send you a copy... I was thinking about sending you a disc of some selected recent Jonathan Richman anyway. PM me your address?

~Rae
    Cool. I'd love to hear that Lekman and Richman.

Here's the Lucksmiths stuff I have:

Do you have anything post-Warmer Corners?

Rae
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    Do you have anything post-Warmer Corners?
    No, sadly my collection neatly overlaps yours (the only exception being that I have Staring at the Sky on 10").

~Rae

Forum Regular
    I completely missed this post, but thought I would add some to the lists already on here (some great choices, though I wonder if the album concept has been completely destroyed in the 00's by iPod, online radio stations, etc... Anyway, here are some that I would add to the list:

Damien Rice - 0
    Alexi Murdoch - Time Without Consequences
    Bonnie Prince Billy - The Letting Go
    The Frames - The Cost
    Joe Purdy - Julie Blue
    Green Day - American Idiot (I know it has already been said, but awesome album)
    Yo La Tengo - And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out

Rae
    Was Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out really a 2000 release? Damn. That might get added to my list, too, although somehow my brain lumps it in with their 1990s work.

~Rae

Forum Regular
    Yeah, Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out was released Feb 22, 2000 (at least according to Wiki, for what that is worth). Hell of a good start to the 00's...

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    thanks for the reminder - I sorta threw The Lucksmiths into the Belle Sebastian pile of 'neuter-rock' but they do transcend that (I only have Naturalista...). I've been spinning that one a lot since I read this thread and would love to hear more.
    There's quite a few I'd have to put on a 00's list but my two mentions for the moment are
    Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Lyre of Orpheus/Abbatoir Blues
    just great songs and a very listenable Cave - not so crushing as some of his stuff.
    Angels of Light - Sing Other People
    Akron/Family as backing band - amazing headphone album w/ the harmonies and production/instrument subtleties.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyhambone
    Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Lyre of Orpheus/Abbatoir Blues
    just great songs and a very listenable Cave - not so crushing as some of his stuff
    Yea, that is a good one with a nice mix of styles. Awful recording and/or mastering, but ace songs. I'll add The Hill by Richard Buckner. Right up there with some of my all-time favorites.

Rae
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Yea, that is a good one with a nice mix of styles. Awful recording and/or mastering, but ace songs. I'll add The Hill by Richard Buckner. Right up there with some of my all-time favorites.
    Oh fuck, you guys should just write my list. The Hill was transformative... I got lost in that record for weeks. I read the whole Spoon River Anthology. I buttonholed strangers on the street to ask them if they'd heard it. I pondered whether "rue de reveille"/"rude revelry" was an intentional double entendre until my mind turned inside out. I listened to it over and over and over and over. "And all I could say was don't, don't, don't."

~Rae

Oh fuck, you guys should just write my list. The Hill was transformative... I got lost in that record for weeks. I read the whole Spoon River Anthology. I buttonholed strangers on the street to ask them if they'd heard it. I pondered whether "rue de reveille"/"rude revelry" was an intentional double entendre until my mind turned inside out. I listened to it over and over and over and over. "And all I could say was don't, don't, don't."

~Rae
    "As he aimed and fired at my heart" ... Great song. The poems he chose from that book seem to mirror his style, very economic use of words for such strong imagery. But yea, you nailed it, one of those records that opens another chapter. Made with just a pocket of change and some IOUs, doubt John and Joey got paid any for this one, but somehow it all worked out.

Had another 00 favorite on this morning, A Feather In the Engine by David Kilgour. Blissful, jangly psychedelia, in other words, one of my 4 food groups. Maybe not the transmogrifying power of Richard Buckner performing without a net, but just as essential.

Lots of good stuff mentioned so far, I'll probably have a couple overlapping a bit. I am a bit surprised at the lack of mentions for a few that I thought were a bit more popular but that's why there are so many bands making wildly divergent toons.

The National - Boxer
    Moonbabies - June and Novas
    Iron and Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days
    Notwist - Neon Golden
    Postal Service - Give Up
    Sigur Ros ( )
    Strummer - Streetcore
    Stars - Set Yourself On Fire
    Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
    British Sea Power - The Decline of British Sea Power
    Massive Attack - 100'th Window

Some random honorable mentions:

The Stills
    The Strokes
    Bloc Party
    Editors
    Green Day
    Arcade Fire
    Four Tet
    Calexico
    Calexico & Iron and Wine
    Wheat
    Modest Mouse
    VNV Nation
    the rest of the National albums and EP's
    Electric President
    Wovenhand
    Doves
    Broken Social Scene
    Idlewild
    Shout Out Louds
    Clap your Hands Say Yeah
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Rae
    No, sadly my collection neatly overlaps yours (the only exception being that I have Staring at the Sky on 10").

~Rae
    I just ordered all of the post-Warmer Corners stuff online, so give me about 3 months to digest it and then this project is on. Amazon has all 5 of their pre-Happy Secret releases available as mp3 downloads (they're OOP and prohibitively expensive on CD)... is that going to work for this crowd?

~Rae

I just ordered all of the post-Warmer Corners stuff online, so give me about 3 months to digest it and then this project is on. Amazon has all 5 of their pre-Happy Secret releases available as mp3 downloads (they're OOP and prohibitively expensive on CD)... is that going to work for this crowd?

~Rae
    Wow, cool. Let me see what I can do on the early stuff. We may ultimately have to rely on some mp3s.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information