Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rae

bands with one and only one deliriously good song

Okay, so a lot of bands get unfairly tagged with the "one hit wonder" label and actually have lots of decent material in their catalog. Others only click once or twice, but still have plenty of near misses. Then, there are bands that write one song so gloriously perfect among such mediocrity that you just have to wonder... where could it possibly have come from?

As I might've mentioned in an earlier thread, for me this band has got to be the Vogues. I could listen to "Five O'Clock World" endlessly, but literally everything else that they have done seems so schmaltzy to me that I have no idea how they penned that track.

Can you think of any other examples of this? The Rich Kids? Unit 4+2? Feel free to list yr own choices & take issue with mine...

~Rae

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Hey Rae,

This one is a bit harder than it seems. Off the top of my head I would say Peter Schilling with A Different Story (I hated his remake of "Major Tom")...maybe PWEI with...no they never had a deliriously good song...maybe Renegade Soundwave for Cocaine Sex although some might consider The Kray Twins acceptable...

This one's going to fester with me a bit.

Peace

I can only chalk this up to being a fluke..or it's a cover tune, do the still call it a "Flash in the Pan".

FWIW, for an artist(s) to get any respect (read playing time) from moi they have to consistently put out a good product and show that they have at least a bit of talent.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

The Rental's FRIEND OF P.

Barnes & Barnes--Fish Heads

Metallica--oh, wait, that was a Misfits cover anyway.

John Travolta--It Had To Be You

I don't like others.

I never get tired of "Away" and "Possum Kingdom" but as for the rest of the album they may as well be 3 Doors Down or some other such lowest-common-denominator dreck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    I could listen to "Five O'Clock World" endlessly...
    I caught that in the ealier thread and I completely agree. When Chip, DLD and I worked on that 3-disc 60's thing a few years ago we each took a disc and did our own sequencing (but not necessarily the song picks themselves). Mine was the 2nd disc but the only thing I insisted on was Disc One open w/ "Five O' Clock World" just to start things right.

I never heard the Beau Brummels do anything quite as good "Laugh, Laugh" and I've heard a lot of their stuff.

Snakefinger definitely qualifies with "The Man In The Dark Sedan". (He used to hang with The Residents.) I bought both albums and some singles w/ rare B-sides and nothing came close to that one song.

Mi Sex- "Computer Games"
    The Burning Sensations- "I feel like Jonah in the Belly of the Whale"
    Enya- "Sail Away"

Come to mind instantly. There's tons of others.

Forum Regular
    Mi-Sex?

One good song?

NOT

An excellent band, you gotta give 'em more credit than that, Troy.

They have many very excellent songs!

Dave

Rae
    I totally disagree with both the Rentals and the Toadies! Rubberneck is a solid record (guilty pleasure? nah, no such thing) front-to-back and the Rentals, while kinda samey-sounding, definitely have clicked plenty of times for me ("My Summer Girl"... now that's a deliriously good song).

~Rae

Sorry Dave, that one song is a classic and the rest of the disc is totally forgettable, generic new wave for me. But like Rae's criteria says, that one song is a screamingly great genre classic.

Forum Regular
    Remember that band Wall of Voodoo that had that one song "Mexican Radio"? That was really good.

(jk, T)

What about...

THE VERVE PIPE, PRIMITIVE RADIO GODS, SPACEHOG, SOUL ASYLUM, GEGGY TAH, FOLK IMPLOSION, or 7 MARY THREE?

sunshine came softly Monkey Bones's Avatar
    One of the few times that I fell victim to the "single on the radio - sucker born every minute" quick-sell was with a little alternative modern rock station I listened to in the late 80s, and this very cool song by someone named Jon Astley came on while I was driving home from work as I recall, it was called "Jane's Getting Serious" from the CD Everyone Loves The Pilot (Except The Crew), and I had to have that CD, so I stopped by my favorite indie/alternative CD store on the way home to grab it, and despite some industry heavyweights like Eric Clapton on hand (or maybe more likely, because of), that's the only song I play. Completely disposable, except for that one song. But it is a great song

Rae
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    SOUL ASYLUM
    Wow. All I can say is, you're fired. Talk about one of the great American underground rock & roll bands of the 80s... these guys turned out album after album of great, hooky, rough, heartfelt, honest punk rock before finally breaking into the mainstream in the 1990s. I'm sure I have other supporters on this board... maybe a band that will go down in rock history as a "one hit wonder", but will remain in my book "criminally misunderstood, but mostly just kickass."

~Rae

Rae
    Oh yeah, and I like Folk Implosion, too.

~Rae

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Enya? I don't even like her but I know she's got more than a few "hits"....Damn. I dated enough girls in different time zones to witness her popularity in all it's suckass glory.

Hmmm, too many Indy Rock groups to name.
    Right Said Fred comes to mind I guess...damn tune is kinda catchy and will be played for decades.

OH! The New Radicals! That "you only get what you give" song was killer...then they broke up after 1 song because they couldn't take the publicity, stress, etc.

GEGGY TAH
    I like that cd. I don't think they qualify at all.

The New Radicals wasn't really a band, it was the one guy & they put a band together around him, but he wasn't interested in the whole rock band trip.

Soul Asylum in this thread is something I'll second as not exactly fitting in with the theme of the thread. If someone honestly believes that, fine, but I'd be surprised if anyone who actually thinks that has heard White You Were Out, The Horse They Rode In On, Time's Incinerator, or, most especially, Made To Be Broken.

Songs like Tied To The Tracks and Never Really Been were as good as anything Husker Du (Bob Mould produced them, natch) and the Replacements ever did, in my book, so I'd just weigh in & say that I'd find it difficult to imagine that someone who's heard these recs actually believes that. But if they do, they're welcome to state their case!

I don't like others.

It would seem...

That this thread is rather pointless since we all have a difference of opinions when it comes to bands that we feel are great, while others feel only have ONE good song. Is it really possible for a band to truly only have ONE good song? Most likely not, but I was trying to name bands that really only had one great song with airplay and then for lack of better terms, faded away.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    That this thread is rather pointless since we all have a difference of opinions when it comes to bands that we feel are great, while others feel only have ONE good song.
    No, that IS the point. This is a discussion board. So...discuss! If we all agreed on everything all the time then there would be no discussion and this place would be (even more) boring. Don't be afraid to have people disagree with you or to disagree with other people. That's the beauty of music...it's subjective. Discuss, argue, debate, agree, disagree, it's all good.

I would like to nominate The Refreshments and the song Bandito. I love this song. It's funny, quirky and catchy. But nothing I heard after that appealed to me.

The Proclaimers - that I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) song was all the rage for a while...still hear it from time to time...whatever happened to them?

Did Gary Numan do anything besides Cars?

That this thread is rather pointless since we all have a difference of opinions when it comes to bands that we feel are great, while others feel only have ONE good song. Is it really possible for a band to truly only have ONE good song? Most likely not, but I was trying to name bands that really only had one great song with airplay and then for lack of better terms, faded away.
    Yeah, but, see, as I made clear in my post, I don't have a problem with it if you believe this; debating taste is pointless. But it wasn't lost on me that when Soul Asylum became successful, that a lot of people who bought their records didn't know anything about them or that they had been making records for more than a decade at that point.

I don't quarrel with yr nominating in this thread, because that's yr opinion, and that's fine. But I'm curious: did you ever hear their Twin/Tone output, the stuff Husker Du's Bob Mould had produced in the mid-80s? I ask mostly because I saw them live during that period, and I have read slams of their work, and I find it interesting. But I do like to get down to specifics when possible. What on those records do you think sucked?

I don't like others.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Did Gary Numan do anything besides Cars?
    Yes, tons and a lot of it was very good synth-driven new wave.

This question is really impossible to answer because while I may think that every single song Enya did besides "Sail Away" was crap, there will always be other that don't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information