Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

A couple of observations about The Crane Wife

I haven't enjoyed a new CD as much as this since I discovered Andrew Bird's Mysterious Production of Eggs in 2005. I was listening the The Crane Wife part 1 this morning and actually had shivers down my spine (I know it sounds lame, but it's true).

But all the stars were crashing 'round
    As I laid eyes on what I found.

A couple of observations about this disk...

1) This has got to be one of the most depressing CDs, lyrically, that I've ever heard.

2) If someone had played me Summersong and told me that it was a new Al Stewart song, I would have believed them. Does anyone else here think that the vocalist sounds an awful lot like Al?

So Decemberist fans, where should I go from here?

Oh. I thought you said that Rutlidge sounded like Al. I just didn't see it. I listened to the Decembrists as few times and it didn't sound like Al to me, but I'll give it another listen.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    Oh. I thought you said that Rutlidge sounded like Al. I just didn't see it. I listened to the Decembrists as few times and it didn't sound like Al to me, but I'll give it another listen.
    In particular, listen to The Perfect Crime and Summersong. The rolling syllables of Summersong remind me of the way Al Stewart writes. Think along the lines of Soho (Needless to Say) or A League of Notions when you're listening to Summersong.

What did you think of the Justin Rutledge disk?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    If someone had played me Summersong and told me that it was a new Al Stewart song, I would have believed them. Does anyone else here think that the vocalist sounds an awful lot like Al?
    Sounds like Robyn Hitchcock to me.
    You can't go wrong with any of their albums but I'd buy the rest in this order:
    Castaways & Cutouts
    Picaresque
    Her Majesty, The Decemberists
    The Tain
    (EP)

There's another EP as well (can't recall the title offhand) but I believe it is included in certain reissues of C & C. You probably already have a good amount of their older songs if you dig through your stockpile of old comps.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

"Hello Davey it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?"

Hehehe, guess I should post more often so I don't get that message when I drop around. But me, to engage another member, I tend to agree with Sloshy. Always reminded me a lot of old Robyn Hitchcock, mixed with a bit of Morrissey. Not a bad combo. Think they do some Smiths' songs live, and did a tribute album. In any case, that first one is still my favorite, though I haven't yet heard the latest. I tend to like the less produced sound of the original, and Colin Meloy a bit less upfront, but no denying they have matured and reached a much wider audience with each subsequent release.

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/rev...ys_and_Cutouts

Gotta love me some Bunny Gets Paid on the way to work. Great album. Great band. Great cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    But me, to engage another member, I tend to agree with Sloshy.
    I really don't like the way that is worded. Yikes!

NP: Alejandro Escovedo - The Boxing Mirror
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    But me, to engage another member, I tend to agree with Sloshy.
    I really don't like the way that is worded. Yikes!
    I know what you mean, how often does someone agree with you, eh?! Yikes is the word. But remember the old saying, a member in the hand is worth two in the bush. Although that doesn't sound quite right, now that I say it. Nothing wrong with two in the bush, is there?

Castaways and Cutouts, then the very first EP.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

First Jim Clark was busying his balls. Then we had a little llama loving. And now Davey is engaging Slosh's member?!

I think I'm in the wrong forum.

Best of 2006 - not...

If someone had played me Summersong and told me that it was a new Al Stewart song, I would have believed them. Does anyone else here think that the vocalist sounds an awful lot like Al?

Yep, Summersong sounds like Al, but not the lyrics.

The 15 minutes of The Crane's Wife is pretty good, but I'm not sold on the rest of the album. I'm not sure how this wound up being voted as the number one independent album of 2006 (considering it was released on Capitol Records).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crane_Wife

Thread Information