Forum Regular

What's your Friday Song of the Day?

My Friday Song of the Day is none other than the 10-year-old, disreputable Snoop Doggy Dogg single "Gin and Juice", which my friends and I have been listening to on the way back from the beach house this summer.

Especially love the menacing groove at the beginning and Snoop's first verse:

With so much drama in the L-B-C
    It's kinda hard bein Snoop D-O-double-G
    But I, somehow, some way
    Keep comin up with funky a$$ sh*t like every single day . . . .

We've all had this song stuck in our heads for most of the summer.

I also recommend the Phish country-style cover version of this rap classic, which is available on the web; it's hard to explain, except it's priceless. Has anyone heard it?

What's your song of the day? (if there's anyone around on this August friday)

Mine's even older than yrs: Norman Blake's Slow Train through Georgia from his 1976 masterpiece, Whiskey Before Breakfast. I found an absolutely pristine copy of this Rounder Records release last week, and have been playing it at least once a day. Anyone who appreciates roots/ Americana/ whatever you wanna call it should own this one.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

My song of the day is...........

Walk Idiot Walk!

Killer single from the new Hives record. If you're a vinyl fan, order the new album from insound.com and they toss in the 45 as a bonus, with a non album b-side.

...and good call on the Snoop Dog. I was listening to the 2 CD Death Row greatest hits collection a few days back. Damn, that label was putting out some quality stuff in those days.

Forum Regular

Friday Song

Happy Birthday.................The Beatles.
    Coz it is.

I'll take another 2 of those, bartender.

Tony

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Happy Birthday Tony!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skewiff
    Happy Birthday.................The Beatles.
    Coz it is.

I'll take another 2 of those, bartender.

Tony
    Mine is Ryan Adams, Goodnight Hollywood Boulevard. I don't know what it is about this song, but I have been spinning it over and over since Mike sent me this fantastic Ryan Adams comp.

Thanks Mike!!

Quote Originally Posted by DariusNYC
    I also recommend the Phish country-style cover version of this rap classic, which is available on the web; it's hard to explain, except it's priceless. Has anyone heard it?
    Hey, common mistake. That isn't Phish, it's The Gourds (who just happen to be my favorite band).

John

Take This Job And Shove It.

I think it was sung by Johnny Paycheck.

We've been so busy it's ridiculous. Under staffed and over worked. I know I shouldn't complain. At least I have a job but damn, get us some help already. We're getting burnt out.

I need a vacation.

And Tony, Happy Birthday. Celebrate as you see fit. I'll drink a Bacardi and coke in your honor this evening whilst listening to some fine music.

Darren
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

Forum Regular
    My song of the day is "Emerald" by Thin Lizzy.

Dave

That's An Easy One...

"Transatlanticism" by Death Cab For Cutie is my song of the last few weeks since I heard it on "Six Feet Under", and definitely my song of the day today.

I have no idea what this song is about or what it was written about but when the lead singer sings the chorus, "I need you so much closer, I need you so much closer, I need you so much closer, I need you so much closer..." all I can think about is my Marine, my son, my hero. I know this song might have been a romantic inspiration for the writer, but it simply reminds me of how much I miss my son and long to see him again. It makes me wish I had cherished those childhood moments more, been a little more patient, and not worked as hard on my career. The times we shared were fleeting, and when it is gone, they are gone for good. Except in my memory.

"So, come on, come on, so come on, come on..."

Fridays almost over. Which means my birthday is too. :-(
    "And the three gifts of moving on are forgiveness, hope, and the great beyond, After that perhaps peace can come, Peace will come." -- Mary Chapin Carpenter (2007)

[QUOTE=Audio Girl

Fridays almost over. Which means my birthday is too. :-([/QUOTE]

Happy Birthday, AG.

two songs

"Lily and Parrots" by Sun Kil Moon.

"Surgical Focus" by Guided by Voices.

I butted these two songs side by side on a comp I'm working on right now.. they fit so well together, both are crunchy, riff-happy songs that are also plain catchy as hell. I didn't think there were going to be any rockers on the Sun Kil Moon album, but this one rules. I heard "Surgical Focus" from their best-of comp that they put out last year, and it's one of the best GBV songs I've ever heard. It's from DO THE COLLAPSE.. an album that got mixed reviews.. but this song rules.. and it's actually fairly well produced.. reminds me somewhat of something that might have been on Weezer's first album, and I guess that's not too shocking considering Rick Ocasek produced both of them.

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Good call on the not phish there whooptee, i was hoping someone else would know that's not right...

Friday, today, has been much like the past 3 weeks for me. It's been nothing but In Absentia, Signify, Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream.

Nothinge else except the The Four Seasons and a Mozart disc the ex keeps in her car......

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Audio Girl
    Fridays almost over. Which means my birthday is too. :-(
    Okay, so I'm a day late. But Happy Birthday AG! I hope it was a good one.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Whooptee
    Hey, common mistake. That isn't Phish, it's The Gourds (who just happen to be my favorite band).

John
    Thanks for correcting me on this point. I have double checked this through published non-hearsay sources and have now relabled the downloaded file on my computer as being done by The Gourds. And I will pass the word on.

Forum Regular

Walk Idiot Walk

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    My song of the day is...........

Walk Idiot Walk!

Killer single from the new Hives record. If you're a vinyl fan, order the new album from insound.com and they toss in the 45 as a bonus, with a non album b-side.
    Great song. I'm listening to it right now.

Can I have a Friday song of the day on a Monday? Oh well, a day short and a dollar late...or is that a late day and a short dollar? Hmmm.....anyway, I'm listening a lot to a song called "Flying Around The Sun With Remarkable Speed" from the upcoming new Giant Sand album and feeling pretty happy. It's on the Americana 2004 sampler that came with the last Uncut magazine. Very, very good sampler, maybe the best one I've ever heard from a magazine. Listened to it many times in the last few days. Responsible right now for a big Americana bulge at the top of my wishlist. Definitely gotta get me the latest from Richmond Fontaine and The National and Jesse Sykes (I know, shoulda had this one already based on the love spread around here for her) and on and on. More fun than a bucket of frogs. Americana rules in case you missed the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Hmmm.....anyway, I'm listening a lot to a song called "Flying Around The Sun With Remarkable Speed" from the upcoming new Giant Sand album and feeling pretty happy....
    Ooooo, a new Giant Sand on the horizon? The want list grows again.....

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Definitely gotta get me the latest from Richmond Fontaine and The National and Jesse Sykes (I know, shoulda had this one already based on the love spread around here for her) and on and on. More fun than a bucket of frogs. Americana rules in case you missed the news.
    Yeh, you shoulda. It's a definite keeper. Speaking of the want list, mine got added to already this AM from a stop by Pitchfork- review of a new Jim White release, Drill A Hole In That Substrate And Let Me In. Now, it may be hard to believe, but I haven't been in the ceedee store in over 2 weeks. This is enough to get me in there at lunchtime today.

http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-rev...ubstrate.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    Speaking of the want list, mine got added to already this AM from a stop by Pitchfork- review of a new Jim White release, Drill A Hole In That Substrate And Let Me In. Now, it may be hard to believe, but I haven't been in the ceedee store in over 2 weeks. This is enough to get me in there at lunchtime today.
    Yeah, there's a pretty good track from the new Jim White album on there too. Nice song with Aimee Mann filling in on the duet. It's called "Static On The Radio". Definitely give a look for that short Cherry Tree CD (EP?) by The National. Sounds kind of like an Americana Tindersticks, which means kind of like our fave Willard Grant Conspiracy. Me gotta have. Click below for the sampler details.....

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/americana.jpg

Speaking of the Tindersticks, damn I wish I'd thought to bring Simple Pleasure with me in my CD box. I'd really like a fix of Tindersticks about now. What a nice album. Just saw an ad in the aforementioned Uncut that those first 5 Tindersticks CDs (through Simple Pleasure) have all been remastered with bonus discs of b-sides and demos and rarities and stuff. And they also have a 2-CD best of collection that covers that whole 1992-99 Island series.
    Last edited by Davey; 08-09-2004 at 11:45 AM.

Thread Information