Attn: Highest Recommendation...

If you are looking for a great piece of orchestration and vocals, look no further that my recent recommendation of Richard Einhorn's VOICES OF LIGHT, featuring Anonymous 4, which provides that soundtrack score to Carl Dreyer's Masterwork film ThE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC.

Here is his site:
    http://www.richardeinhorn.com/VOL/VOLIndex.html

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

The CD is also a 20Bit CD and is quite good, although I would love to see this released on SACD. The film however is released through Criterion and the score on the film is in DD 5.1 and is quite awesome too, I would love to see this film with the live orchestra one day.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Very interesting indeed. I bet the 5.1 mix is something to be experienced. Thanks for the heads up.

Wow, that sounds cool. Ya know, I watched that DVD a few years ago and meant to investigate that music. Seemed a little bit disconnected from the movie at the time, colorful sound mixed with early black and white film, but probably appreciate it more now knowing some about how and why it came to be. Quite a restoration. Need to rent it again.

Just for the [technical] record, there are no 20-bit CDs, they are all 16-bit. DVD yes, CD no. The source can be 20-bit (or more) though, with various methods employed to try and capture as much of that extra dynamic range as possible. And then these days they usually compress and maximize it to the max to get rid of all that extra resolution

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Just for the [technical] record, there are no 20-bit CDs, they are all 16-bit. DVD yes, CD no. The source can be 20-bit (or more) though, with various methods employed to try and capture as much of that extra dynamic range as possible. And then these days they usually compress and maximize it to the max to get rid of all that extra resolution which, in fact, gives us FALL OUT BOY

fixed

Wow, that sounds cool. Ya know, I watched that DVD a few years ago and meant to investigate that music. Seemed a little bit disconnected from the movie at the time, colorful sound mixed with early black and white film, but probably appreciate it more now knowing some about how and why it came to be. Quite a restoration. Need to rent it again.

Just for the [technical] record, there are no 20-bit CDs, they are all 16-bit. DVD yes, CD no. The source can be 20-bit (or more) though, with various methods employed to try and capture as much of that extra dynamic range as possible. And then these days they usually compress and maximize it to the max to get rid of all that extra resolution
    The CD says "Superbit Mapping 20Bit", which I took to mean that it was like an HDCD.

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    The CD says "Superbit Mapping 20Bit", which I took to mean that it was like an HDCD.
    HDCD is 16-bits too. All CDs are. The super bit mapping is a dither algorithm to help capture some of the additional resolution of higher bit bit depths by introducing a pseudo-random noise. Nearly all CDs are made these days from higher resolution recordings, but the CD is still just 16-bits, so instead of just hacking off the extra bits of resolution, a little is captured with the help of the dither noise. HDCD is similar, but in the least significant bit amongst that dither noise, they encode some instructions for their digital filter. Still just 16 bits on the CD, but can be expanded to seem more on playback with a HDCD player.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    blah blah blah, same old spiel ... And then these days they usually compress and maximize it to the max to get rid of all that extra resolution which, in fact, gives us FALL OUT BOY
    fixed
    Hehehe, missed that earlier. Unfortunately, the senseless and [mostly] irreversible collateral damage also affects Josh Ritter and Modest Mouse and Silver Jews and Spoon and Andrew Bird and the Honeydogs and tons of other records by bands I do care about.

Thread Information