Arcade Fire - Reflektor

Anyone got this yet?

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    just picked up on vinyl today...haven't been able to listen to it yet. I loved Funeral, bought Neon Bible but never got into it at all, didn't like the singles off Suburbs so I never picked it up...I feel like I'm a fan but keep not liking their lp's since Funeral. I really like all that I've heard from the new one and heard the production is better on this one...really didn't like production on the Neon Bible...
    I'll weigh in on Reflektor love or not-so-much-love after this weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyhambone View Post
    just picked up on vinyl today...haven't been able to listen to it yet. I loved Funeral, bought Neon Bible but never got into it at all, didn't like the singles off Suburbs so I never picked it up...I feel like I'm a fan but keep not liking their lp's since Funeral. I really like all that I've heard from the new one and heard the production is better on this one...really didn't like production on the Neon Bible...
    I'll weigh in on Reflektor love or not-so-much-love after this weekend...
    Thanks, I'll watch for it.

Interesting take on their catalogue. Got to admit I only discovered them (here) with Suburbs. Like it a lot. But I don't know if I've ever listened to Funeral.

Guess this gives you official hipster status.

Snowie

Hockey Night in Canada played a hockey video to the music of a pop song but I didn't catch who it was. I was assuming it was to promote somebody's new release. Anyone know if it was an was an Arcade Fire tune off the new album? The song wasn't about hockey.
    "A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission" - Rush

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
    Hockey Night in Canada played a hockey video to the music of a pop song but I didn't catch who it was. I was assuming it was to promote somebody's new release. Anyone know if it was an was an Arcade Fire tune off the new album? The song wasn't about hockey.
    Yep. Saw that and it was Arcade Fire, Relflekor. Title track of the album that Snowie is talking about. I thought the editing was well done. But you're right, the song has nothing to do with hockey.

Well, I'm not enamored with it at this point.

I like AF. I like LCD SoundSystem. This Arcade SoundSystem (or LCD Fire if you prefer) leaves me flat. Much has been made about this collaboration and apparently there's a lot of defenders out there that don't seem to hear it. That leaves me bewildered. I understand that there's a need to grow to avoid getting stagnant but change for the sake of change doesn't seem to make much sense either.

Part of issue is the massive build up for this thing. The secret was out for our little indie band a long time ago. Grammy's tend to do that. The street "guerrilla" marketing was way overboard for a major act on a major label. This type of thing is supposed to happen organically with someone trying to break. The planned corp. excess was off putting, at least for me.

Then there's the multi-million dollar release of the interactive video for the title track. I'll admit that if I loved the song, I'd look the other way but this song rubbed me wrong from the start. Who is it that doesn't hear James Murphy in this album? They must have skipped this song and at least 1/2 of the others.

There is no neighborhood #3 on this record. Afterlife has a bit of energy but it seems to have been sucked out of the balance of the record. Oh, and I kind of the like the Caribbean influence that runs fairly consistently throughout, I think it would have been more effective to use actual instruments rather than recreate the sounds electronically. This band is full of talented musicians, I can't believe someone couldn't pound on some steel drums. There's not many people that enjoy synth based music more than I do but it just seems woefully out of place on an AF record.
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    fortunately, I seem to have missed out on the over-hyping on this one. I knew it was touted as a big deal and heard they did an extended performance on SNL but managed to not see any of that, or their video...I'm really just out of the loop often and, in this case, maybe it helped. I've listened to it a lot over the past week or so and really like most of it. The production is very nice, bass is pretty heavy but not overly so. It's definitely got a club-y feel but to me is more like an up 4AD album than a dance album. The second half, side 3 and 4 on vinyl, are especially in my wheelhouse. Oh, and the vinyl!
    A really great pressing, quiet and lots of nuanced subtleties in the layers of sound - I'd heard the title track a lot on the radio but on vinyl, through my headphones...totally different song! There've been some great releases this year and, a week into it, this one is in my top five ('course it may not have staying power...we'll see).

I just saw them doing a live performance on Palladia and have to admit that I find little to like from this latest release. Funeral, in my mind, is still their best, but I was okay with The Suburbs and caught their show right around that release date.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Thread Information