Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone have the new Okkervil River - The Stage Names?

Sounds good if you put stock in the Pitchfork reviews:

As artistically unsurpassable as Black Sheep Boy seemed in 2005, The Stage Names marks Okkervil River's most emotionally devastating record yet, and without doubt one of the year's best.

I'll be getting it for sure, but it would be nice to hear some feedback from Okkervil fans if anyone has it.

I think I can do it.... a post with no smilies... reaching for the submit button....

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbunny
    I think I can do it.... a post with no smilies... reaching for the submit button....

Hey Snowbuns! Not me, no new Okkervil here, but fans should also check out the latest release from Shearwater called Palo Santo, released last year but then they signed to Matador this year and reissued it in a deluxe 2-CD or 2-LP package with 5 of the songs re-recorded. Very cool record ... they started out kind of an Okkervil side project, but now Sheff is only in the background, and Meiburg is the main guy, and this really is something special.

http://www.treblezine.com/reviews/1992.html

Hey Davey,

Is it true, did Monkey really go to heaven? (Here's where I would normally put a sad face, but I'm in a 12 step program for smilie abusers so I won't.)

Funny, you should mention Shearwater! I was just listening to them on Last.FM since it mentioned they were a band similar to - well Okkervil River obviously! I'm supposed to be able to download some free mp3's but I get an error message.

I did listen on line though, and I will definitely put them on my wish list. Or should I say definately? I notice that most people spell it that way, so I'm starting to think maybe I've been wrong all along. Hehehe.

Any other brilliant new music in your player lately, Davey? I think I'll go snoop on your homepage in case you're holding out. no smiley, no smiley...

Snowie

Quote Originally Posted by Davey

Hey Snowbuns! Not me, no new Okkervil here, but fans should also check out the latest release from Shearwater called Palo Santo, released last year but then they signed to Matador this year and reissued it in a deluxe 2-CD or 2-LP package with 5 of the songs re-recorded. Very cool record ... they started out kind of an Okkervil side project, but now Sheff is only in the background, and Meiburg is the main guy, and this really is something special.

http://www.treblezine.com/reviews/1992.html

I got it but I haven't listened yet. Lot of good that does you. Want a preview?
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Hey Davey, Is it true, did Monkey really go to heaven?
    Yea, sad about the Monkey, and more bad news - underwater guy got squished by 10 million pounds of New York sludge. My homepage is hopelessly out of date too, nothing from this year except a comp. Electrelane, The National, Bird, Blonde Redhead, Spoon, Shearwater, that's about it for me. Richard Buckner "Meadow" from last year is real nice, playing right now, always makes me feel good. Lot's of Morphine too. Kind of old, but Good, Cure for Pain, and Yes are great. Viva Last Blues. There's a Star Above the Manger Tonight. The Blackened Air. Blush Music. Just the usual Davey stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    I got it but I haven't listened yet. Lot of good that does you. Want a preview?
    As if you'd trust me to download it in time. Pshawwww!

That'd be a great big YES PLEASE!

As if you'd trust me to download it in time. Pshawwww!

That'd be a great big YES PLEASE!
    Alright, give me 30 minutes and check your PM
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Yea, sad about the Monkey, and more bad news - underwater guy got squished by 10 million pounds of New York sludge. My homepage is hopelessly out of date too, nothing from this year except a comp. Electrelane, The National, Bird, Blonde Redhead, Spoon, Shearwater, that's about it for me. Richard Buckner "Meadow" from last year is real nice, playing right now, always makes me feel good. Lot's of Morphine too. Kind of old, but Good, Cure for Pain, and Yes are great. Viva Last Blues. There's a Star Above the Manger Tonight. The Blackened Air. Blush Music. Just the usual Davey stuff.
    Poor Monkeybones! Did you bury him out back under the apple tree? Oh well, as long as Davey is alive and well.

How can your page be hopelessly out of date? That would mean there is no hope of you updating it. What's the matter, Davey? Forgot the password or something? No apologies!

I did skim a little off the surface of your best of lists! I can not believe I don't have the latest Sparklehorse! I take it its good if it made your top 12 list. (Always gotta be unique, dontcha?)

Snowie

Alright, give me 30 minutes and check your PM
    I'm getting a little long in the tooth Sloshy. I don't think I can spare 30 minutes.

I'm getting a little long in the tooth Sloshy. I don't think I can spare 30 minutes.
    I don't like quickies all that much. The whole guilt thing, ya know

So now that you mention it virgin spin:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I don't like quickies all that much. The whole guilt thing, ya know

So now that you mention it virgin spin:
    Must not use smilie!

Thank you, Sloshyone. Does that mean I'm getting sloppy seconds? Did you listen while you - what did you do? Upload it?

Maybe we can have have simultaneous reviews? Thanks, for real!

Snowie

Where is it????

And where did Davey go? This is the most action this message board has seen in years.

Where is it????

And where did Davey go? This is the most action this message board has seen in years.
    Three more minutes. Oh, and you're supposed to say aren't you finished yet? Asking, "What are you doing?" is a real confidence killer

ps - leave poor Davey out of this

Three more minutes. Oh, and you're supposed to say aren't you finished yet? Asking, "What are you doing?" is a real confidence killer

Hehehehehe...I will make a note of that! The things a girl learns on a music message board. LOL!

Got it. Thanks, Sloshie!

And where did Davey go?
    Don't mind me, I'm just watching. Slipped out to get some stuff at the store. Pork chops and beer and bananas and some green things. Might've been some ice cream too. And a coupla corn cobs. But now back to Richard Buckner, Meadow, and a Bass Ale. Love this one, listened to it tons in the last few months, but always sounds good. "Window" playing right now, just classic Buckner. Rocking, passionate, nervous, full of energy, the desire, the buildup, the release. Leaving unanswered the age old question: is light a wave or a particle? Oh, wait, no, not that one. The one about what's better, the thrill of anticipation, or the post-sex glow?

Don't mind me, I'm just watching. Slipped out to get some stuff at the store. Pork chops and beer and bananas and some green things. Might've been some ice cream too. And a coupla corn cobs. But now back to Richard Buckner, Meadow, and a Bass Ale. Love this one, listened to it tons in the last few months, but always sounds good. "Window" playing right now, just classic Buckner. Rocking, passionate, nervous, full of energy, the desire, the buildup, the release. Leaving unanswered the age old question: is light a wave or a particle? Oh, wait, no, not that one. The one about what's better, the thrill of anticipation, or the post-sex glow?
    Geez, Davey. You must have got the limited edition version of that CD. I looked on line and there wasn't any of that stuff on the one on Amazon.

But I was encouraged by the Also Bought list which included Lucinda, Decembrists, Son Volt and Sparklehorse. And then some aberrant fan bought something called Gob Iron - Death Songs for the Living. Okay, I just gotta do it - ?

Every recovery program includes a relapse stage.

Yummm... green things! My favourite!

Asking, "What are you doing?" is a real confidence killer
    Yea, I'll say, but just be glad she didn't ask "Where is it????"

Yea, I'll say, but just be glad she didn't ask "Where is it????"

Can't be worse than "Is it in yet?"

Hey Sloshy?

For some reason since I unzipped The Stage Names there's a background sound of rushing water on my computer. I closed down my listening program and it was still there if I turned the sound on.

So I put on Tom Waits - Mule Variations since there are so many weird sounds it fits right in.

What the heck do you think it is?

Geez, Davey. You must have got the limited edition version of that CD. I looked on line and there wasn't any of that stuff on the one on Amazon.
    Yea, I had to pay a little extra for the post-sex glow, but it was worth it. That and the pork chops. I think tentoze is a big Gob Iron fan. Or was that Iron and Wine? Ya know, after a few of these British ales, it all gets kinda blurry. Is a gob anything like a tupelo? If so, I might want one of those too.

Yea, I had to pay a little extra for the post-sex glow, but it was worth it. That and the pork chops. I think tentoze is a big Gob Iron fan. Or was that Iron and Wine? Ya know, after a few of these British ales, it all gets kinda blurry. Is a gob anything like a tupelo? If so, I might want one of those too.
    Those British ale are the full meal deal, Davey. Are you sure you're gonna have room for that juicy pork chop? I don't know about gob and tupelo, but there's a big marble called a cob and some guys wear a tuxedo. That any help?

Still can't figure out the rushing water sound though.

Darn Sloshy! Love em and leave em kinda guy, isn't he?

Rae
    But now back to Richard Buckner, Meadow, and a Bass Ale. Love this one, listened to it tons in the last few months, but always sounds good. "Window" playing right now, just classic Buckner. Rocking, passionate, nervous, full of energy, the desire, the buildup, the release. Leaving unanswered the age old question: is light a wave or a particle? Oh, wait, no, not that one. The one about what's better, the thrill of anticipation, or the post-sex glow?
    Hey, I knew that if I actually looked in this thread there'd be something I could comment on. I've been playing the shit out of that Buckner since it came out last year as well. "Lucky" is really my jam. I don't know how I didn't get way into him the first time I heard him on yr Decade of Alt-Country comp lo those many years ago but it somehow fell by the wayside until I saw him play a hypnotic double-bill with Eric Bachmann early last year. I believe he had Doug Gillard as his sideman and the two of them played unaccompanied-- it ended up being quite the effects-pedal workout. Ever since then I've just been stuck on the new one-- "when's it gonna ha-a-pp-uhn..." Awesome stuff.

~Rae

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    Hey, I knew that if I actually looked in this thread there'd be something I could comment on. I've been playing the shit out of that Buckner since it came out last year as well. "Lucky" is really my jam. I don't know how I didn't get way into him the first time I heard him on yr Decade of Alt-Country comp lo those many years ago but it somehow fell by the wayside until I saw him play a hypnotic double-bill with Eric Bachmann early last year. I believe he had Doug Gillard as his sideman and the two of them played unaccompanied-- it ended up being quite the effects-pedal workout. Ever since then I've just been stuck on the new one-- "when's it gonna ha-a-pp-uhn..." Awesome stuff.

~Rae
    Glad to see your unscathed after the bridge incident, Rae. I actually thought of you right away, even looked at Google map to see how close you were to the bridge. I just feel like such a girl always worrying that something has happened to someone we know. I remember being on pins and needles after 9/11 when we didn't hear from Jay right away.

Guess I need to check out that Buckner. Did you get the same special limited edition that Davey got?

Gobsows, actually, at least until Sam Beam learns to breathe and sing in the same stanza.

But, seriously, on topic, I haven't pulled the trigger on the new Okkervil yet- something I read about migrating to power pop got me a little concerned.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    Gobsows, actually, at least until Sam Beam learns to breathe and sing in the same stanza.

But, seriously, on topic, I haven't pulled the trigger on the new Okkervil yet- something I read about migrating to power pop got me a little concerned.
    I like it so far, toze I wouldn't be put off by a power pop description. They still have that alt-country flavour, but it is a little harder edged than there past stuff. See if you can listen to Our Life is Not a Movie, Maybe on line. I suspect you'll like it. I think they sampled it on Last.fm.

Sounds way better without the rushing water in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    What's a gobsows? Hope it's not some kind of pig fetish, because we don't tolerate talk like that around here! This is a family board. Thought maybe you'd heard the Gob Iron, being a big Jay Farrar fan. Or did my connect the dots post not connect? Gob > Tupelo ... Uncle Tupelo? Ya know, Jay Farrar? Is this thing even turned on? His records kinda all tend to sound the same to me, but they are usually pretty high quality. Didn't read too much about this Gob Iron collab last year, he seems to always be doing something on his own, or like this, or the new Son Volt group.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information