Anyone around for Sunday Spinning Confessions?

Sundays are usually dedicated to vinyl around here, since I have the time to actually fool with all the changing/cleaning/flipping/etc.

Just finished Grateful Dead's American Beauty. Dunno if it's just the copy I've got or what, but the sound quality is a bit disappointing. Mebbe my memory of what it used to sound like is clouded by, ummmmm, illegal smiles.

NP: Norman BLake's Whiskey Before Breakfast. Now, this is a quality recording, and some of the most amazing flat-picking I've ever heard.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

confessing my spins

Well, can't hang around here much on weekdaze, new job and hightened scrutiny will cause me to stay away from the 9-5, so weekends and evenings will have to suffice.

Packing boxes preparing for a mid sept move, so I'm jamming away..
    From the library, spinning Johnny Cash 'The essential Johnny Cash', the first disc is mostly early stuff, nothing compelling. Disc two has some classics like Folsom prision blues, one piece at a time, boy name sue etc and is more likeable.
    Also got Larry Coryell 'offering' from 1972, this is early jazz rock, some say Larry was the first pioneer in this genre. Excellent guitar playing and alto sax. Have to get a turntable and play some of my other Larry lps one of these daze.

Quote Originally Posted by richmon
    Well, can't hang around here much on weekdaze, new job and hightened scrutiny will cause me to stay away from the 9-5, so weekends and evenings will have to suffice.

Packing boxes preparing for a mid sept move, so I'm jamming away..
    From the library, spinning Johnny Cash 'The essential Johnny Cash', the first disc is mostly early stuff, nothing compelling. Disc two has some classics like Folsom prision blues, one piece at a time, boy name sue etc and is more likeable.
    Also got Larry Coryell 'offering' from 1972, this is early jazz rock, some say Larry was the first pioneer in this genre. Excellent guitar playing and alto sax. Have to get a turntable and play some of my other Larry lps one of these daze.
    I have that Coryell from back in the day- haven't listened to it in ages, but agree, he was a genre-buster.

I've always liked American Beauty & still do. Actually, it's the only Grateful Dead record I like from start to finish...Workingman's Dead is ok, but AB is what has always kept me from simply dismissing the Dead for all of the obvious reasons. I'll never like what they were, what they did, the way they played, or their fans & the entity they sculpted the band into, but they sure did make one whopper of a rec there. Great stuff.

I don't like others.

Forum Regular

sunday spins

Today I've played the following stuff while pottering around.

New York Dolls......................Too much too soon. Great way to wake up on a Sunday.

Talking Heads.......................Name of this Band is..... Great Reissue.

Commander Cody..................We've got a live one hear. I think his best live effort.

Joe Bonamassa.....................Blues Deluxe. Great player.

I like American Beauty also, not sure if it's my fave though, have to ponder some more on that.

Tony

It's the only one I've ever owned. Very little of any of the rest of their work ever even phased me enough to care about it one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    I've always liked American Beauty & still do. Actually, it's the only Grateful Dead record I like from start to finish...Workingman's Dead is ok, but AB is what has always kept me from simply dismissing the Dead for all of the obvious reasons. I'll never like what they were, what they did, the way they played, or their fans & the entity they sculpted the band into, but they sure did make one whopper of a rec there. Great stuff.

Mostly jazz Yesterday....nursing a bit of a hangover from seeing Dr. John and BB King the night before, and still heading on to see a couple local bands after that...late night and all.

Anyway, went through...

Freddie Hubbard: Born to Be Blue
    Art Pepper: Smack Up!
    Charles Mingus: Blues and Roots
    Hank Crawford: Indigo Blue

I did toss in a bit of Dub stuff as well...

Scientist: Scientist Saves the World from the Curse of the Vampires
    The Upsetters: Super Ape

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    I never understood the appeal, if any, of the Dead. It's not the fact that they jam--one of my favorite bands of all time is the Allman Brothers. It's that they are so, so boring and out of tune and noodly that you'd have to be stoned out of your gourd to enjoy them in the first place. I've tried listening to American Beauty several times and while it's more concise than their usual ramblings it's just as profoundly boring to my ears. I just don't see any use for the Dead when I can listen to The Band, who have a somewhat similar sound with twice the proficiency and none of the fat. Is there something I'm missing, Jay?

Aside from that, the fact that the Dead made the world safe for Phish and Dave Matthews Band is an unforgivable offense in of itself.

(BTW, I read your response re: Big Star, and I'm adding #1 Record/Radio City to my list as I type--thanks)
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Quote Originally Posted by mad rhetorik
    I'm adding #1 Record/Radio City to my list
    Now available on CD/SACD hybrid and the sound quality is much improved (at least the SACD layer - I haven't listened to the CD layer) over the original twofer CD.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

I have American Beauty on DVD-A and its hi-rez stereo track is by far the best sounding DVD-A I own (but I only have five or six). Speaking of hi-rez, I just snagged Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker SACD. I haven't had a chance to spin it yet but if it sounds as good as the LP minus the surface noise I'll be happy (It's a MoFi production so my hopes are high). Also grabbed Clinic - Winchester Cathedral today and so far, so good. I'm only half way through it so far but it sounds a lot like Walking With Thee part II, which is not at all a bad thing IMO.

I probably won't have time for the TueRoThread tomorrow (if there is one) so I'll just add this:

Now that I've had some time to spin The Fiery Furnances - Blueberry Boat some more it reminds me a lot of Quadrophenia morphed with Purple Rain (the guitars and drums especially have a Prince-like quality). It's getting better but I still think it's kinda gay

Also listened to cc & dbi's Girls vs. Boys comp and Fugazi - The Argument a couple of times each 'cause sometimes ya just gotta rawk! I almost forgot how good these are.

NP: Clinic - Winchester Cathedral
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Ah, I wouldn't stand on yr head with it or anything. Certain recs some people are going to like & others not. I think that what it is that I like about AB is pretty much out front & capable of being heard by anyone with ears as good as yrs, anyone who's into music like you are. If you don't hear it, then it probably isn't there for you, that's all. There are artists & recs I'd be way more forceful about saying "listen to this until you get it, even if it takes 500 spins!" I think AB is a damn good record, by a band that I mostly hate. The jamming is only part of what I didn't like about them; I actually have more of a problem with what I heard them do with a lot of covers, arrangement-wise. None of which has anything to do with this album. I just think it's got good songs on it, start to finish, and it just doesn't evoke that San Fransisco hippie sh*t for me as much as their others, or Crosby, Stills & Nash (whose first album I also think is good, though I never listen to it anymore, and not because it evokes that hippie sh*t, which it does), or Jefferson Airplane (who I just can't take).

It took a lot of listens for me to truly appreciate, to 'get,' some of my favorite records. Like the Replacements' 'Let It Be,' for instance. Sometimes records that sound great on first listen, the appeal kinda disintegrates over time. Especially records where the tunes are real good, but the lyrics are weak...once you reach a point where you're really comprehending the words, which doesn't always happen on first listen, it can be kinda weird hearing these really lame words attached to good tunes. The Cult's 'Electric' comes to mind. I still throw on 'Trout Mask Replica' every now & then, wondering if I'll ever 'get' it. I haven't yet, maybe someday I will, but for now I don't care. Too many people embrace hip, critical favorites just because they think they're supposed to.

I have to agree that the Dead are guilty of crimes against music, but as much as I'll always wish it was someone else who made it, I'll always like this album.

I don't like others.

Thread Information