Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anybody pick up anything this weekend?

I grabbed a few things...

Heavy Trash
    Side project from John Spencer and another guy whose name slips my mind. Its more rockabilly focused instead of bluesy as Spencer usually goes. It's a bit up and down, but I like its old time rockin' feel. As usual for me when I hear anything Spencer does, it seems like I enjoy listening but at the same time just always feel it could have been fantastic with just a little twist, but that's my problem.

The Ravonettes: Pretty in Black
    I'm really digging this one a bunch. Much different than their last two, with a more open laid back sound that borrows greatly from the 50s & early 60s. Ronnie Spector takes a wonderful guest vocal, and the guy from Suicide shows up for a really fun electro beat on a cover of My Boyfriend's Back. Shades of Everly Brothers pop in and out. One of my favorites of this year so far.

Lyrics Born: Same Sht Different Day
    Remixed version of his debut, featuring DJ Shadow, Moorcheba, Stereo MCs and a bunch of others. Turned out real nice to my ears, lots funky sounds, harkening as much to 70s soul/funk in spots as to modern hip hop. This one will get played often if for no other reason than I haven't really heard much good hip-hop and/or R&B this year. (suggestions welcome)

St. Etienne: Travel Version
    Compilation that came out last year on a band I was casually aware of but had never sat down for a listen. Wide variety of styles represented that will likely drive me to at least a couple individual albums. I really liked the mellow stuff they had and the acoustic things tossed in. Sometimes they got too dance club for me, but I'm thinking they may have an album or two out there that I'd really dig.

Ditty Bops
    I remember J talking about this group and I saw them open for the Dresden Dolls. I really liked them live and just happened to come across the album and grabbed it. Great, original stuff. Harkens to an earlier time, with unique acoustic instrumentation and great harmonies in the fun vocals. 2 very talented girls here that I'll be interested in as they move forward.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Nothing over the weekend. But tomorrow I'll see the new System of a Down and Mercury Rev disks added to my collection.

Forum Regular
    Measha Brueggergosman,"So Much to Tell," songs by Copland, Barber and Gershwin with a spiritual thrown in at the end. Great young soprano, with Roy Goodman and the Manitoba Chamber Orchestra. CBC Records SMCD 5234. When I say "great" that's what I mean. This gal is potentially in the "great voices of the century" class.

http://www.measha.com/

Toru Takemitsu (1930-1196), And Then I Knew 'Twas the Wind, Rain Tree, Toward the Sea, Bryce, Itinerant, Voice, Air, and Rain Spell. Robert Aitken, flute; Toronto New Music Ensemble. Naxos 8.555859. Very nice, often haunting, lightly scored music, natural, spacious recording.

I just found Measha's CD in the store and decided to buy it; also noticed the Takemitsu CD.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Whad'ya think...

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Nothing over the weekend. But tomorrow I'll see the new System of a Down and Mercury Rev disks added to my collection.
    Didi you listen to those older MerRev CDs? Any good?

The Raveonettes: I've not hid the fact that I love this band. While I haven't heard this album, I've got a bootleg with several of the new songs. I'm torn on this one. Some of the new stuff I like, others I'm not too fond of.

The 50's +60'ish productions just don't really turn me on. There's one track, "Here Comes Mary" that sounds completely ripped off from, well like you said, The Everly Brothers.. I keep expecting to hear:
    "Dreeeeeam
    Dream, Dream, Dreeeam
    Dreeeeam"

On the other hand, there's "You Say You Lie" that's on high simmer from start to finish (at least live) and one of my absolute favorite tracks for the year so far. The guitar gets my blood pumping with it's shifting jangly+surf strains. Freakin' awesome baby.

Gonna go spend some dough tomorrow, maybe this album will make the cut.

Regards,
    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

I picked up a couple used CDs that weren't on my wish list, but I've wanted both for a while:

Bad Religion - Against the Grain
    One listen so far, but I'm liking it. It has potential for me to like it better even than Suffer, but we shall see.

Boo Radleys - Giant Steps
    Only one very distracted listen in the car so far, so I have no idea whether this will be to my liking or not.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    Didi you listen to those older MerRev CDs? Any good?
    I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet. I'll try to give them a spin this week.

42 Regular
    I finally picked up Deadwing. Only one listen so far, and it's going to take a while to absorb this puppy...but me likey so far. Especially the epic track 5. Stay tuned...

I also finally got around to picking up the recent Rhino rerelease of Elvis Costello's Trust. All I can say is, Rhino does one hell of a job with these two-disc packages on EC's catalog titles. From the album art to the incredible liner notes to the 17 bonus tracks to the excellent remaster...this is an excellent package! Oh, yeah, and the album is a 4-1/2 star classic.

I also got a Joe Walsh compilation that looked pretty good, and fills a hole.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Forum Regular

Rhino

Does do a good job with re-issues. I have a number of titles from Rhino, most recently three Cure rereleases. They always have excellent packaging and bonus material.

Since today is my Sunday...

... I got a couple o' discs yesterday and today and Amin the process of assimilating:

The Soundtrack Of Our Lives Origin Vol. 1 I saw this in Dimples yesterday- it was $8 and I'd heard it mentioned over at Obner. Plus you got a Monitor This! sampler with it. From the MT! sampler, I was on the hunt for the American Head Charge and the new Mudvayne. Today at Tower, I saw the Mudvayne for $14, so I skipped on that. Can't remember how much the AHC was, but I skipped that, too. However, after a stint at the Listening Stations, I did pick up Pepper's Ghost ("As the year progressed, the bandmembers, despite frequent trips back to rehab and the occasional near-suicidal meltdown, managed to continue to filter their rage into creativity, resulting in their 2005 ambitious sophomore effort, Feeding, their first for the Nitrus/DRT label.") and Backyard Babies- "Sweden's top rock band!" "Sneering punk (meets) big-stage, exploding-lights arena rock..." Rolling Stone ...comes with a Liquor & Poker compilation and a kewl sticker.

After picking those up, it was time for a stop at Replay (used). I had a box of stuff to trade in. I was rummaging the racks, and the American Head Charge jumped out at me- eight bucks! Glad I waited. There's a table with local goings-on flyers, etc., and there was a stack of Spitalfield samplers w/ 2 SF songs, a Black Maria cut and one from Straylight Run. Free! Sweet. As Willie was tabstagating my credit, I picked up U2's All That You Can't Leave Behind for $7.

Except for the U2, I guess I'm going through a hard rock phase again.

If you'd like to hear any of the afore-mentioned, I'm in the process of making a comp (gee, ya think?). Let me know if you want to hear it. It will also include tracks from the new Porky Twee, The Blue Van, Spoon, Long-View, Blue Merle, and The Features.

fp

Pepper's Ghost is very cool. I'm listening to it as I type this, and it's almost like Cheap Trick mixed with Michael Penn. What?

Kino- Pictures
    Ben Folds- Song for Silverman
    Adrian Belew- Side One

Too soon for commentary, maybe tomorrow.

I saw the Folds yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Kino- Pictures
    Ben Folds- Song for Silverman
    Adrian Belew- Side One

Too soon for commentary, maybe tomorrow.
    ..and thought, "Troy can have my copy."

fp

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Dont you just love the features? Im a nashville native and its so nice to see our homeboy heroes making some noise. They beat out those fashion-iestas Kings Of Leon anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    I finally picked up Deadwing. Only one listen so far, and it's going to take a while to absorb this puppy...but me likey so far. Especially the epic track 5. Stay tuned...

I also finally got around to picking up the recent Rhino rerelease of Elvis Costello's Trust. All I can say is, Rhino does one hell of a job with these two-disc packages on EC's catalog titles. From the album art to the incredible liner notes to the 17 bonus tracks to the excellent remaster...this is an excellent package! Oh, yeah, and the album is a 4-1/2 star classic.

I also got a Joe Walsh compilation that looked pretty good, and fills a hole.
    Which Walsh comp is it? This 'un? And which hole?

Man, I'd love to play drums for that guy.

fp
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Nope. Oh owe is me.
    ...tomorrow I'll see the new...Mercury Rev disk...added to my collection.
    Supposably, there's one version with a bonus disc. Anyone getting that? For once, I remembered not to be an early adopter.

Now if I can just resist getting that Alison Moyet disc of covers, and the new Natalie Imbruglia.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Oh...a bonus disk you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Nope. Oh owe is me.Supposably, there's one version with a bonus disc. Anyone getting that? For once, I remembered not to be an early adopter.
    Best Buy is advertising the single disk for $11.99 so it's not likely I'll fork out extra dough for the bonus disk.

I am rethinking the System of a Down however. I saw them on SNL last week and was intrigued. But today I heard a cookie monster vocal song from them and think that I want a listening station before purchasing.

I was disappointed by System of Down on SNL too

I am rethinking the System of a Down however. I saw them on SNL last week and was intrigued. But today I heard a cookie monster vocal song from them and think that I want a listening station before purchasing.
    I like the song I heard on SNL "Aerials" (off Toxictiy), but the bands schtick on stage was lame; overly dramatic, and faux-intense. They came across like a Black Sabbath tribute band, and the lead singer looked like a goth rabbi.

I don't know if they played anything besides "Aerials" on SNL, but that song is one of the more tame tracks off Toxicity, you definitely should listen before buying. I'm looking forward to checking out the new album though, I like this band.

Whaaaa...?

Quote Originally Posted by newtrix1
    I like the song I heard on SNL "Aerials" (off Toxictiy), but the bands schtick on stage was lame; overly dramatic, and faux-intense. They came across like a Black Sabbath tribute band, and the lead singer looked like a goth rabbi.

I don't know if they played anything besides "Aerials" on SNL, but that song is one of the more tame tracks off Toxicity, you definitely should listen before buying. I'm looking forward to checking out the new album though, I like this band.
    They have a new disc out and they played something off the older disc??? Are you sure it wasn't a rerun?

fp

It may have been

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    They have a new disc out and they played something off the older disc??? Are you sure it wasn't a rerun?

fp
    I only caught about 15 minutes of the show. I'm not familiar enough with the show or cast these days to know if it was a new one or not. Maybe they payed one new song, one old song?

Quote Originally Posted by newtrix1
    They definately could have used Will Farrell on Cowbell.

Anybody pick up anything this weekend?
    I also picked up a bad looking sore on the corner of my mouth and it burns when I pee now. To tie it in with the strict topic policy of this board, though, I think I may have had the radio on in my car when I picked up these things.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Forum Regular
    I picked up my old tv and moved it about 30 feet this weekend.

I picked up some Pokemon cards for my kids.

I picked up 2 old Tull lp's, and the new The Cure album on lp.

The new Cure is weak weak weak weak. Robert Smith needs to call it a day.

Dave

dos discs

Picked up Marillions 'Season End' used for $7. The first post-fish release and it just might be the best release I've heard from them. Berry Berry good, heavy on the Genesis influence, with emphasis on the guitar & vocals.
    And the Cowboy Junkies 'Onesoulnow' Wow, suprised nobody's raved about this, it's edgier than usual for them, more distorted electric guitar. First listen knocked me out.

42 Regular
    Elf Pee:
    Nope. It was a different Walsh disc. I believe the title is "Little Did I Know" or something like that. Covers most of his career, from James Gang thru "The Confessor" and "Life of Illusion". As to which hole it's filling, that's between me and my 12-step program sponsor.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Forum Regular
    I have "Look What I Did" by Mr. Joe, and it'spretty good. But, like almost every GH package I have, it only reminds me that I need to own the originals. A few months ago I got around to picking up "THe Smoker..." to go with the first two JG albums. I really am looking for "Barnstorm" though...

Haven't had a chance to spin them yet, but yesterday I got a used package from MOJO (all new to my collection, even vinyl):

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion: Xtra Acme USA
    Zen Guerrilla: Shadows On The Sun *
    The Rolling Stones: Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out (SACD Hybrid)
    Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros: Streetcore
    The Who: Live At Leeds (Remaster)

It appears that I'm entering a LOUD phase...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information