Forum Regular

Megadeth remixed and remastered

Has anybody heard any of these albums? I have Peace Sells But Who's Buying and Youthanasia. They sound quite a bit different, bass is more powerful, not sure about them though maybe I'm just used to the originals. i think i would have preferred if they'd just been remastered.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I didn't even know they existed...Interesting...Countdown isn't the greatest recording ever, that's for sure...Is there a remastered "Rust In Peace" available?

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Is there a remastered "Rust In Peace" available?
    That would be great, though I hope they don't ruin a classic album by tacking on a bunch of bonus tracks, or overemphasizing the low-end. I think some remasters go a bit overboard on the bass and compression, resulting in ruined sound.

I know they remastered their first album Killing Is My Business... a while ago. The original version had pretty awful sound quality. Peace Sells.. could use a remastering as well, in my opinion. I'll have to give the new version a listen.
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Forum Regular
    They were released 2 weeks ago. All albums from Peace Sells to Risk I think. Killing Is My Business was remastered 2 years ago.

They all have 4 "bonus" tracks at the end. I'm really not sure about the sound, the low end is certainly heavier, I am also wondering if I'm hearing digital clipping at certain points which is a bit of a worry, I'm not certain though. If any of you could analyse the wavefiles it would be interesting.

Can someone describe to me what sounds they associate with "digital clipping"?

I know when a recording sounds good, and when it sounds bad...when too much compression is used and soft symbal tap sounds like a cannon, but "digital clipping" ins't a term I use or hear frequently...

Just a shot in the dark, is it responsible for the really crappy, almost "slurred" highs (especially symbals) that you often hear on crappy cd's (or even more on MP3's)? I hate that more than anything else!!!

Anyhow...I've already bought so many versions of "Rust In Peace"...what's one more?

Forum Regular
    Digital clipping is a sort of harsh, fuzzy sound. It's caused when the loudest parts of the music are basically cut off at the digital mastering stage (CDs have a limited dynamic range). It's not a pleasant sound. The worst album I have with the digital clipping problem is Zwan's "Mary, Star of the Sea".

Yeah, fuzzy is a good adjective, I think I know what you mean...

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Actually, digital clipping ends up introducing whole new frequencies that weren't in the original recording, which is why it's so nasty. It is easily the worst offense a remaster can make.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Thread Information