• 09-09-2012, 06:43 AM
    Swish
    Any Spoon fans check out the Divine Fits?
    That's the name of a side project Britt is doing with Jon Wurster (Superchunk/Mountain Goats) and Jason Narducy (Telekinesis/Guided By Voices). Britt isn't the songwriter or vocalist though:“It’s basically Jason’s songs, Jason singing,” he explained. “We’re backing him up.”

    Divine Fits’ debut LP A Thing Called the Divine Fits is out August 28th via Merge Records. Below, listen to their song “Would That Not Be Nice".

    I heard one track on Sirius and it's pretty good, and I'll prolly spring for the record. Daniel is also writing some new Spoon tunes and suggested the rest of the band write some as well.
  • 09-09-2012, 06:59 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    Below, listen to their song “Would That Not Be Nice".

    Am I missing something, or did you miss attaching a link?
  • 09-09-2012, 08:32 AM
    Davey
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Am I missing something, or did you miss attaching a link?

    The whole post is kind of a joke (hopefully intentional :)), but there is a new CD by Divine Fits, and it is good, though a little bit on the lightweight side. Some of the songs, while not exactly filler, don't have much going on.

    It's actually the project of Britt Daniel (Spoon), Dan Boeckner (Wolf Parade, Handsome Furs), and Sam Brown (New Bomb Turks). Britt and Dan split vocals and songwriting, and I think Sam co-wrote one too. A couple songs sound just like Spoon, and are the highlights in my mind, but all the guys help shape the sound, which is very new wave with a lot of synths. Pretty catchy through much of it.
  • 09-10-2012, 06:15 AM
    Jim Clark
    Jimmy has it, Jimmy loves it. While I'm not the biggest Wolf Parade fan, I am a very enthusiastic fan of Handsome Furs and this is along the same line. Very synthy and the opener is very reminiscent of Soft Cell, minus the homo eroticism of course.
  • 09-11-2012, 06:12 AM
    Swish
    WTF happened there?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    The whole post is kind of a joke (hopefully intentional :)), but there is a new CD by Divine Fits, and it is good, though a little bit on the lightweight side. Some of the songs, while not exactly filler, don't have much going on.

    It's actually the project of Britt Daniel (Spoon), Dan Boeckner (Wolf Parade, Handsome Furs), and Sam Brown (New Bomb Turks). Britt and Dan split vocals and songwriting, and I think Sam co-wrote one too. A couple songs sound just like Spoon, and are the highlights in my mind, but all the guys help shape the sound, which is very new wave with a lot of synths. Pretty catchy through much of it.

    I did a search and came up with that info from an article on the web, but since reading your reply I found that it was a hoax. No idea why someone would bother.
  • 09-11-2012, 01:33 PM
    audiobill
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    I found that it was a hoax. No idea why someone would bother.

    Ah. Hoax or not it makes for some entertaining reading. Keep up the great work Swishy!
  • 09-11-2012, 01:41 PM
    Finch Platte
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by audiobill View Post
    Ah. Hoax or not it makes for some entertaining reading. Keep up the great work Swishy!

    Lol, and fix the quotes" on your quote, wouldja, Swishjam?
  • 09-11-2012, 02:01 PM
    Hyfi
    -Who?
  • 09-11-2012, 02:52 PM
    Swish
    The band isn't a hoax buddy...
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by audiobill View Post
    Ah. Hoax or not it makes for some entertaining reading. Keep up the great work Swishy!

    ...but the story I found when I Googled for info was a hoax. I was going to just copy and paste it but didn't like it because it was too lengthy. Why would someone bother to make up a story about the band with incorrect info? Weird.
  • 09-13-2012, 11:56 AM
    Mr MidFi
    It's been on my "buy" list, but I haven't made it to the store yet. Been very busy (and very out-of-town)... but the little that I've heard sounds right up my alley.
  • 10-03-2012, 01:07 PM
    Hyfi
    Hey Swish, Finchy hooked me up with some Spoon disks. I can't say I have ever even listened to a whole spoon song but I will give it a spin and see if I too can be spoon fed.
  • 10-03-2012, 07:15 PM
    3LB
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    Hey Swish, Finchy hooked me up with some Spoon disks. I can't say I have ever even listened to a whole spoon song but I will give it a spin and see if I too can be spoon fed.

    What, you no like Spoon? I think they're great. I don't have a man-crush on the lead singer like Swish does, but I do think he's the coolest white dude in modern rock. They have yet to make a bad song, much less an album, as far as I'm concerned.
  • 10-04-2012, 04:03 AM
    Hyfi
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 3LB View Post
    What, you no like Spoon? I think they're great. I don't have a man-crush on the lead singer like Swish does, but I do think he's the coolest white dude in modern rock. They have yet to make a bad song, much less an album, as far as I'm concerned.

    I don't know, I have no idea if I ever listened to a whole song by Spoon. I have yet to spin the samples so time will tell.

    I'm not the biggest fan of modern rock you know.
  • 10-04-2012, 05:03 AM
    3LB
    Spoon is slightly overdue is for an album, so I'll have to check out the Divine Fits, if it's Britt singing - his voice is the kind of slightly scratchy tone with unique inflection and character that never gets tiresome. As for being modern rock, they're neither hipster chic nor retro pastiche. Like Wilco, they're a band that doesn't sound dated and can't really be linked to any one decade or trend. Just really cool, honest rock.
  • 10-04-2012, 05:15 AM
    Hyfi
    OK, I just watched several youtube vids and here is what I get

    Singer thinks he is Elvis Costello and Graham Parker rolled together and seems to only know or play 3 chords.

    Bass player just plays the same few notes over and over.

    Drummer needs a few more drums in his kit.

    I don't know, this is why I don't like modern rock. Nothing new, nothing different, nothing showing any real talent and too much vocals-not enough music.
  • 10-04-2012, 05:34 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 3LB View Post
    I don't have a man-crush on the lead singer like Swish does

    Hehehe. :thumbsup:
  • 10-09-2012, 05:39 AM
    3LB
    oops, didn't catch that part about Brit not singing lead, but I hear him on a few songs and could swear the songs in which he sings lead is reminiscent of his writing. Good pop hooks even if some of the more synth driven songs are a tad souless. Not bad, probably more cohesive than I might expect given that it's a first time collaboration but still, it competes with dozens like it without necessarily standing out.
  • 10-09-2012, 06:04 PM
    Snowbunny
    Thanks for the heads-up, Swishie!

    I do like the featured song, Would That Not Be Nice, but I have to agree with Davey. The best songs are the ones that are most reminiscent of Spoon songs.

    I will most likely just buy individual songs.

    Overall good rec though!

    Snowie