Thread: New Purchases

Forum Regular

New Purchases

I just ordered Angela McCluskey "Things We Do" and Orphans "5:30 am on a Rainy Day."
    Have only listened to 30 second aliquots from various web sites on these 2 discs. Anyone have these discs, and what should I expect?

A tempting disc is one by Atomic7. The snippets sound like surf rock ala Los Strait Jackets but with a country twist. Any thoughts?

I saw Los Strait jackets in concert around Christmas last year a it was a peculiar show, to say the least. Imagine them with their Mexican wrestling masks, playing surf rock and 3 tatooed female burlesque dancers wearing red Santa suit-type bikinis dancing on stage! A most memorable show. We bought a poster and all the band members, and dancers, signed the poster. Yup, another small venue concert here in chilly Wisconsin.

Did buy, and listened to, that Honeydogs CD and really like it quite a bit - thanks for the suggestion Davey!

allears

New Purchases

Just today in fact. It's payday

Jean-Luc Ponty - Cosmic Messenger
    Herbie Hancock - Sextant. Columbia remaster
    Kansas - Kkkkkkansas. The new remaster
    Santana - Live At The Fillmore '68. Fillmore West that is. Should be a great listen.
    Dave Holland Quintet - Points Of View
    The Grateful Dead - Rockin' The Rhein, Rheinhalle, Dusseldorf, West Germany April 24, 1972. Couldn't find Europe '72 so I got this instead. I've been told it's a great show.

Cheers.

Darren
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

I'll wade in here with a new one picked up yesterday:

Jesse Sykes and The Sweet Hereafter, Oh, My Girl- In spite of the rather odd band name, they are not one of those teevee gospel groups that used to wake me up on Sunday mornings in the early 60's. Only one spin all the way through last nite. Jesse Sykes has a wonderfully odd voice- kinda Marianne Faithful before 30 years of smoking 3 packs a day. It's reminiscent of someone else too, but I haven't made the connection yet. Intelligent gothic Americana songs backed by a very accomplished band. The guitar player is a magician at enhancing the mood set by Syke's lyrics. Think Willard Grant Conspiracy if Robert Fisher had been born Roberta instead. A very fine record and highly recommended. Pitchfork covered it yesterday better than I ever could.

http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-rev...-my-girl.shtml
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

I haven't heard any of those you bought and haven't bought anything myself recently, except I had a $10 VISA gift card due to expire at the end of June so ordered the Joy Division Unknown Pleasures CD for $9.97 postpaid. Decided to just eat the remaining three cents. Closer is the only JD album I have right now, and only on vinyl, so it'll be fun to discover what all the fuss is about with their first one since I love the second one. Kind of strange that I never got it until now

My good buddy tentoze bought me a used copy of Willard Grant Conspiracy Regard the End not too long ago and that would be my most prized recent acquisition. I think he must be one of Big B's best customers.

We have a mutually beneficial understanding: As long as they always have stuff I want to buy (which they always do), I will always leave money on the counter, and a coupla bucks in the tip jar, for that matter. The Jesse Sykes disk ( a pretty RECENT release) was there for me for $7.99 used, and John Kay's Heretics & Privateers (2004 re-release on Rainman w/ bonus tracks) for $4.99. Big B's is, hands down, the best music store I've ever been in. Arright, enuff shilling from me.......back to da music.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Forum Regular

Well GOOD!

It's hard enough keeping up with this place and much harder finding music you all don't have. Perhaps at komp time I'll share a little.

Have a good weekend!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    Big B's is, hands down, the best music store I've ever been in.
    Sounds like it to me, too. Some pretty good ones back in the bay area, but not much where I'm at now. That Jesse Sykes sounds pretty cool. Also spun that Woven Hand just recently and that's a damn fine album too. I hear that our hellfire and damnation hero has another one after that where he revisits a bunch of the songs on the Woven Hand abum along with some new ones. Supposed to have a VERY extended 14-minute version of "Ain't No Sunshine". And I guess the religious differences between David Eugene Edwards and the rest of the band have been worked out as they are supposed to have a new 16 Horsepower album on the horizon and are touring again. And a new Woven Hand album titled Consider The Birds is due in October. Lots of good news

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    so (I) ordered the Joy Division Unknown Pleasures CD for $9.97 postpaid. Closer is the only JD album I have right now, and only on vinyl, so it'll be fun to discover what all the fuss is about with their first one since I love the second one. Kind of strange that I never got it until now
    Whaaaaaaat???? I for one would be very interested in reading an in depth review.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    Whaaaaaaat???? I for one would be very interested in reading an in depth review.
    As would I. What the hell took you so long Davey? ; P

If you love Closer you're going to love Unknown Pleasures. I actually like Unknown Pleasures a little more--not that Closer is inferior or anything like that, but because Closer is so...dark I can only listen to it in the right mood. "Shadowplay" is absolutely awe-inspiring. Probably my favorite JD song.

Anyway Davey, you might as well pick up Substance too. Joy Division is like a narcotic.
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Thread Information