• 06-21-2010, 06:33 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Any one see HD Net last night?
    Most of the time I either don't have the TV on or forget about Sunday night concerts but not last night. I was rewarded for my efforts with a triple line up guitar slingers. Three separate concerts, first Steve Vai, then Joe Satriani (solo) and then Eric Johnson. Unfortunately, I turned the channel after Vai thinking something else was coming on then later discovered I missed most of Satriani. Vai was in sort of a Funk Fusion kind of thing that was pretty good. His show had a nice versatility of styles and a good band including a girl who played keys and violin.

I can't believe that bill was an accident, somebody at HD Net has some R&R savvy.
  • 06-21-2010, 07:27 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Most of the time I either don't have the TV on or forget about Sunday night concerts but not last night. I was rewarded for my efforts with a triple line up guitar slingers. Three separate concerts, first Steve Vai, then Joe Satriani (solo) and then Eric Johnson. Unfortunately, I turned the channel after Vai thinking something else was coming on then later discovered I missed most of Satriani. Vai was in sort of a Funk Fusion kind of thing that was pretty good. His show had a nice versatility of styles and a good band including a girl who played keys and violin.

I can't believe that bill was an accident, somebody at HD Net has some R&R savvy.

HD net has deep pockets and a man with the last name Cuban. As a Cuban, that is a feather in HD net's cap! (couldn't help but throw that in). HDnet is known for getting good talent in concerts on their channel.
  • 06-21-2010, 07:34 PM
    Mr Peabody
    LOL, You know I believe I did hear something about the fifth Beatle being Cuban.
  • 06-22-2010, 08:29 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    We caught a bit of Satriani. I didn't realize the other two were also on. I'll keep an eye out for the repeats. Hubby recorded a Judas Priest concert on HD Net last week that we haven't watched yet. I love that channel!
  • 06-22-2010, 09:35 AM
    Troy
    I caught the end of the Vai thing a month or so ago and set the DVR to record it the next time it came on. Still haven't watched it yet, but what I saw was very good. His stage presence is kinda smarmy and ingratiating, but the band can really play. Really unusual arrangements too.

HD net is very good for concerts. Also check out Paladia and, if you have directv, channel 101.

I just watched a Jethro Tull show on one of these channels from 2002 and it was godawful. Well, one good song: My God, but that was about it.
  • 06-22-2010, 03:08 PM
    Mr Peabody
    How often does HD Net repeat, i'd love to get that Judas Priest.
  • 06-22-2010, 03:25 PM
    bobsticks
    Quote:

How often does HD Net repeat, i'd love to get that Judas Priest.

Sometimes it depends on the show but usually at least once, and sometimes, several times.

That Vai show was great, Satriani: decent and I always feel rather "meh" about Eric Johnson...that said, if'n ya want to check out a stellar performance (though less "orchestrated") by Vai and a good show by Johnson look for Clapton's "Crossroads" DVD...
  • 06-22-2010, 03:30 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Thanks, I'll run the guide forward. I know what you mean about Johnson, it's like he needs to expand his playing or gain some additional versatility.
  • 06-22-2010, 04:00 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    Or you could go here and do a search by name or go into the Programming tab and choose Music and Concerts for a complete list. :)
  • 06-22-2010, 04:42 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Thanks, FA. Didn't see them in the search but I did sign up for email schedules so hopefully no more missed concerts.
  • 07-11-2010, 07:16 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Rocked out with HDNet today. I caught Kansas this afternoon. Tonight they had Foofighters, Korn, Megadeth and now I'm catching Judas Priest. White Snake was in there today but I missed that one.

Any one find the audio lacking when compared to your other sources? It may be the feed I get from Dishnet.
  • 07-12-2010, 05:11 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    I recorded the Kansas concert as I couldn't watch it yesterday. We watched a bit of Megadeth, but neither or Hubby nor I have ever been huge fans. And, as mentioned above, we still have the Judas Priest recorded from a previous date. We've watched a little bit of it. I'm glad that you finally got to see it!

I find the sound on HD Net pretty decent. It's not DVD or Blu-Ray quality, but I think it's pretty good. Unfortunately, we don't have our Paradigms connected at the moment as we're breaking in a set of JVC Wood Cone speakers. The SX-WD10 on this site. The link goes to Recievers, you have to click on Speakers on the lefthand bar. They're a very interesting speaker with a surprising amount of bass for their size. They're no Paradigms, but we got a great deal on them and they'll probably end up in the upstairs media room that we're planning on putting together at some point.
  • 07-12-2010, 05:24 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    I watched and recorded the Kansas show yesterday. I was satisfied enough with their performance that I think I'll keep it saved. Yes, the audio quality was a bit lacking. It was pretty amazing though to see Kerry Livgrin and Steve Morse making appearances with the band again. Sad that Robby Steinhardt didn't. He always came across to me as the face of the band, but OTOH I didn't follow Kansas much after the 70's ended.
  • 07-12-2010, 08:39 AM
    3LB
    What was Walsh's voice like?
  • 07-12-2010, 08:48 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    I was going to mention that 3LB but I couldn't really find the rights words to describe it... If you are a Kansas fan and you weren't able to see them playing, you'd still know it was Steve Walsh singing. His voice still has that distinctive tone I guess you could say, but it is a bit aged. How's that?
  • 07-12-2010, 09:29 AM
    Troy
    I saw some of that Kansas thing. I was kinda embarrassed for them. Rich Williams in particular was very difficult to look at.

I liked several albums quite a bit in their 70s heyday, and then totally ignored them after that. But in 2010? Really, they should just stop before someone breaks a hip.
  • 07-12-2010, 09:36 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 3LB
    What was Walsh's voice like?

Do you have the new Roswell Six disk? Walsh is on that. He sounds okay on it.
  • 07-12-2010, 06:17 PM
    Mr Peabody
    I thought that particular Kansas show was pretty good.

Interesting JVC is putting out innovative products. I just don't see much of them in the states, any more, not sure about other markets. Last I was on the site Crutchfield doesn't carry them any more either. As an audiophile stand point, JVC isn't what comes to mind first but to my knowledge in both home and car audio they are consistently reliable and offer good value.
  • 07-12-2010, 06:51 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

As an audiophile stand point, JVC isn't what comes to mind first but to my knowledge in both home and car audio they are consistently reliable and offer good value.

That was the problem with these speakers. They are actually quite decent speakers and extremely attractive, especially without the grills on them, as the wood cones are very pretty. But they hit the market at about $3,000/pr. Anyone who is looking at $3,000 speakers is not looking at JVC. They would have done better to create a new brand and try to market the brand as high end...XXX Speakers by JVC.

Because they couldn't sell them at the MSRP, they ended up with a huge overstock and decided to offer them to staff at $400/pr just to clear space in the warehouse. We also picked up the sub-woofer for only $100 (the sub is not a wood cone). $500 for the pair of towers and the sub was a steal.
  • 07-12-2010, 07:02 PM
    Mr Peabody
    You mentioned they weren't as good as your Paradigm so $3k would have been out of line. They should do like Pioneer (Elite) and Sony (ES), create a higher end line. Good deal for you though :)
  • 07-12-2010, 07:08 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    $3,000 was way out of line. $1200 would have been about right IMO. Even $1500 might have been alright due to the uniqueness of the wood cones. I think that they were hoping these would appeal to a niche market who were more interested in the cool factor than actual sound.

They do sound nice. Just not $3,000 nice.