Any female vocal recs?

Printable View

• 08-21-2007, 12:27 PM
    3-LockBox
    Any female vocal recs?
    Nothing wierd, like Djork or anyone like her.

For example, I kinda like Fiest.
  • 08-21-2007, 01:34 PM
    Hyfi
    Anni Haslam if I may sound like a broken record. Renaissance or solo work.
    Rebeca Pidgeon (spelling?)
  • 08-21-2007, 01:58 PM
    Mr MidFi
    Regina Spektor?
    Or is she too weird?

Actually, I'm kinda digging my daughter's KT Tunstall disc these days.
  • 08-21-2007, 02:34 PM
    audiobill
    Amy Winehouse

I know she gets tons of media attention every day, but she is the fem voice that does it for me today and, likely, tomorrow. Her entire album, Back to Black, is great from beg,mid,to end.
  • 08-21-2007, 03:51 PM
    bobsticks
    Quote:

Originally Posted by audiobill
    Amy Winehouse

I know she gets tons of media attention every day, but she is the fem voice that does it for me today and, likely, tomorrow. Her entire album, Back to Black, is great from beg,mid,to end.

I'll cosign that.

I still get some great times from Karin Bergquist's stuff with Over The Rhine and it's not weird at all. If you're into an international flavour, Maria Ana Bobone might be the ticket.

For something different Nouvelle Vague puts out some of the strangest cover songs using a host of different talent. "Guns of Brixton" and "Bela Lugosi's Dead" come to mind. Lisa Gerrard's solo stuff is eery and atmospheric but she might be a bit over the top for tame tastes.

The oldsters over at A-Gon seem to universally love Eva Cassidy. Although undoubtedly talented, much of her music seems slightly pedestrian to me. How geriatric are you feeling today?
  • 08-21-2007, 04:10 PM
    jim goulding
    Oh yeah . . .
    You Won't Forget Me by Shirley Horne on Verve but it might kill you. Carole Kidd's All My Tomorrows on Linn (it's been re-released on SACD altho I have vinyl) and Joni Mitchell's Blue if you don't already have it. You're in trouble now.

Forgive my stupidity but in my haste I thought BobSticks was the originator this thread. You might dig em, tho. Bob, you most certainly will.
  • 08-21-2007, 08:06 PM
    audiobill
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I'll cosign that.

For something different Nouvelle Vague puts out some of the strangest cover songs using a host of different talent. "Guns of Brixton" and "Bela Lugosi's Dead" come to mind.

Hey bobsticks,

Where should I start with Nouvelle Vague?? Suggested album(s)?

Thanks,

Bill
  • 08-22-2007, 03:32 AM
    Swish
    Check out Ohio by Over the Rhine.
    Karin Bergquist has an outstanding voice, and the music on this double-disc set is nearly perfect from start to finish. All killer, no filler.

Swish
  • 08-22-2007, 05:29 PM
    bobsticks
    Hey Bill, I started off with Bande Apart which utilizes three or four different young ladies on vocals and covers bands as diverse as U2, Yaz, Blondie, New Order, and Bauhaus.
  • 08-22-2007, 09:18 PM
    Mike
    Here's some more off the top of my head
    Female vocals are my thing too and I'll second all those suggested so far, the trouble is there's a ton of stuff out there. My suggestion is go on Myspace and check out some of the below to see what you like. I had a compilation I made up a while ago featuring female vox, if I can find it I'll pm you.

Mainstream stuff...
    Nerina Pallot
    Mindy Smith
    Corrine Bailey Rae
    Shawn Colvin - If you can get past her nasal inflection
    Joan Osborne
    Aimee Mann
    Beth Gibbons
    Tina Dico
    Natalie Merchant
    Heather Nova
    Mary Chapin Carpenter
    Sara Machlachlan
    Melissa Etheridge
    Stacey Kent

Less mainstream...
    Jesse Sykes & Sweet Hereafter
    Cat Power
    Tori Amos
    Fiona Apple
    Sol Seppy
    Beth Orton
    Emilliana Torrini
    Madeleine Peyroux
    Kate Rusby - English folk with a fantastic voice
    Eddie Reader
    Flunk - She sounds a like an 'approachable' Bjork

ps As for Nouvelle Vague I would go for the first self titled album, lots of good covers but if I was you I really would hear some samples before you take the plunge the bossa nova cover style might not be to your taste.

Cheers
    Mike
  • 08-23-2007, 08:51 AM
    audiobill
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Hey Bill, I started off with Bande Apart which utilizes three or four different young ladies on vocals and covers bands as diverse as U2, Yaz, Blondie, New Order, and Bauhaus.

ps As for Nouvelle Vague I would go for the first self titled album, lots of good covers but if I was you I really would hear some samples before you take the plunge the bossa nova cover style might not be to your taste.

Cheers
    Mike

Thanks-a-ton, Bobsticks and Mike. I'll try your suggestions with Nouvelle Vague -- don't know how I'll respond -- but that's half the fun.

Cheers,

Bill