Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

All Things Blue..or Jazz..or R&B

Surely, (and don't call me Shirley) I'm not the only one around here that Luvs da Blues so I thought I would start this thread to discuss anything 'bout the Blues, R&B or Jazz.

I grew up in the very late 60's and 70's listening to all the great rock bands from the day ..Stones, Ten Years After, Hendrix, LZ, Sabbath et al, not realizing that just about all the tunes I liked where basically rejigged blues standards. As I got a little older (wiser?) I started to listen to the British Blues bands Cream, John Mayall, Paul Butterfield,Yardbirds?, LJ Baldry etc.

I still didn't "get it" until I got to the roots of the blues. My preferences are the Delta and Chicago blues(doesn't matter if it's harp, guitar or piano blues) but just love Texas Fried Blues like Steve Ray Vaughn and Omar and the Howlers.

There are a few newer great acts today, such as Jonny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepherd and of course Eric Clapton still "has it".

When was the first time ya "got the blues"?
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

I dont know chit about Blues, but I like to add a couple of my favoirtes.

Hear my Blues - Al Smith
    Chicago Bound - JImmy Rogers

and I must add that they must be on LP because.....

JRA

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    I dont know chit about Blues, but I like to add a couple of my favoirtes.

Hear my Blues - Al Smith
    Chicago Bound - JImmy Rogers

and I must add that they must be on LP because.....

JRA
    Ya got good taste mon ami.

Shouldn't be a problem to get almost any "collectible" blues on vinyl considering the era most were recorded in, if your so inclined.

Check out some Bobby Bland or Johnny "Guitar" Watson.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    My guitar teacher had a huge blues collection and insisted we learn a bunch of his favorite songs for a variety of reasons - IIRC strumming technique all in the traditional I-IV-V, 12 bar blues arrangement and of course learning minor and blues scales. I might have been 12 or 13, didn't really care much for it at the time.
    Except I was just introduced to Hendrix (via Wayne's World actually) and totally picked up on some blues in the music. Then I started listening more.
    My teacher started me off with Robert Johnson (though I didn't appreciate him until years later), and of course the 3 Kings, B.B., Albert, and Freddie...
    I got into them right away. From there it was Muddy Waters, T-Bone Walker, John Lee Hooker...etc.

Then of course SRV, which lead to more more Hendrix, the Allman Bros, Clapton, Cream, Led Zeppelin, etc...lots of blue based rock.

I dunno if I have a preference for the old Delta or Chicago blues or not, I guess I'm not that fussy.

Jazz took me a lot longer. I didn't mind a lot it, but never really found myself eager to explore it that much. My collection was limited to more contemporary stuff that didn't really wow me. I'd dabble in some stuff like Kenny G or Diana Krall or whatever but never really connected with it.
    Only last year did I finally just suddenly develop an ear for it I guess. I"ve been on an extended binge since October.
    Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, Wes Montgomery, Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington, Edmund Fitzgerald, etc..

I'm one of the organizers for a little Jazz and Blues music Festival very small Canadian town we moved to a couple of years ago has been running for 17 years now or so. Year 3 for me. It's a rockin good time for 1 week every year.

This year we got Gov't freakin' Mule...I'm a huuuugge Mule fan. Quite an accomplishment for a completely non-profit, volunteer run outfit in a town of maybe 60,000. Can't wait for September.

Rae
    If you like the blues, you'll love Blues Hammer.

~Rae

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    If you like the blues, you'll love Blues Hammer.

~Rae
    Just checked them out on YouTube.. not too bad.

I liken the Blues to sex...No such thing as bad sex/blues, just some is better than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Johnny "Guitar" Watson.

oh yeah! I knew I was not the only one

it was the first record I took out dad's collection and it's staying here in my collection now
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Your parental units sound pretty cool Basite..probably my age.

Anyone see the PBS documentary last night "Red, White and Blues" made in 2003 and directed by Mike Figgis? Filmed at Abby Road and featured Van Morrison, Tom Jones (who knew he started out as a blues singer), Lulu?, Jeff Beck and a lot more established "blues men".

It also had interviews with Eric Clapton, BB King, John Mayall, Albert Lee, Stevie Winwood and footage from Muddy Waters, Leadbelly, Sister Rosetta Tharpe and more..

Check out this link if your interested...

http://www.pbs.org/theblues/aboutfilms/figgis.html
    Last edited by Luvin Da Blues; 07-15-2007 at 10:43 AM.

How about

Jerry Ricks
    Watermelon Slim
    John dee Holeman
    David Johannsen & The Harry Smiths
    Roy Rogers
    Canadian Guy Davis
    Canadian Dutch Mason

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by opt80
    How about

Jerry Ricks
    Watermelon Slim
    John dee Holeman
    David Johannsen & The Harry Smiths
    Roy Rogers
    Canadian Guy Davis
    Canadian Dutch Mason

Alan
    I'm a huge Dutch Mason fan..To bad about his recent early demise..may he R.I.P.

Forum Regular
    Kex
    I was really impressed with the Harvestfest line-up when i read it.Govt Mule,Warren Haynes acoustic show and Doctor John.Kicked hell out of our JazzEast festival although i am looking forward to The Downchild Blues Band on Tuesday night.Hoping to get to Govt Mule,I am in Halifax btw,but i dont know yet.Did you hear about the Dutch Mason Blues Fest in Truro in August,Kenny Wayne Sheppard,James Cotton and Buddy Guy?
    Any way congrats on the great line up you have put together.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Forum Regular
    I'm a huge Dutch Mason fan..To bad about his recent early demise..may he R.I.P.
    Amen to that.I saw Dutch play on many occasions and never failed to have a good time.Take note of my previous post about the second annual Dutch Mason Blues Fest this summer.Have you checked out his son Garrett Mason,a great player in his own right.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    Amen to that.I saw Dutch play on many occasions and never failed to have a good time.Take note of my previous post about the second annual Dutch Mason Blues Fest this summer.Have you checked out his son Garrett Mason,a great player in his own right.

bill
    Hey, thanks for the tip..I will be keeping my eyes/ears open for him. I went to his website but it looks like a work in progress. If he's half as good as his ol'man I'm already a fan.

I've seen the Dutch Man a couple of times also...nuttin lacking in his shows.

My favorite old blues play is Blind Blindy McBlindblind.

When was the first time ya "got the blues"?
    I was introduced to him by our own Finch Platte...or was it Troy? Anyway, he has the best name in the business.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    Kex
    I was really impressed with the Harvestfest line-up when i read it.Govt Mule,Warren Haynes acoustic show and Doctor John.Kicked hell out of our JazzEast festival although i am looking forward to The Downchild Blues Band on Tuesday night.Hoping to get to Govt Mule,I am in Halifax btw,but i dont know yet.Did you hear about the Dutch Mason Blues Fest in Truro in August,Kenny Wayne Sheppard,James Cotton and Buddy Guy?
    Any way congrats on the great line up you have put together.

bill
    You're right, it is a pretty sweet lineup. I'm more behind the scenes in logistics, security etc, so I won't take credit. When I found out we got the Mule and Warren Hayes I was giddy as a school girl. Gov't Mule has been one of my favs for years now. Couldn't believe they'd come to Freddy Beach.

Last year was great, G.E. Smith was the highlight for me. This year just blows it out of the water. Hope you can make it out...
    As great as some of the headliners are (Watermelon Slim is going to be good), some of the lesser known jazzy acts are the ones that really impress me. Last year we had this group "God Made Me Funky", which I don't think fall under pure jazz, but that was one of the best music shows I've ever seen. Some artists make music that just doesn't reproduce well on LP, CD, etc, you have to see them live. These guys are a classic example. The Love Dogs are a lot of fun too.

I'm not too familiar with the region yet, and didn't even know about your JazzEast Festival...when's that? Hadn't heard about the DM show in Truro, either.

Forum Regular
    Hi
    Our fest is on right now,started yesterday,and runs 5 more days.check out Dutch Masons web site for more details.I hope to make the Mule show.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Blind Blindy McBlindblind

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    I was introduced to him by our own Finch Platte...or was it Troy? Anyway, he has the best name in the business.

Swish

Sorry Swish...never heard of him (assuming he's male), with a name like that is he for real?. Did a Google with no luck.

I'm always on the lookout for "new to me" blues acts. Can you elaborate on him such as what label he's on, what era did he play, what style of blues etc.

Let the good times roll.

Ooh! Ooh!!! I know!!!!

Blind Blindy McBlindblind

Sorry Swish...never heard of him (assuming he's male), with a name like that is he for real?. Did a Google with no luck.

I'm always on the lookout for "new to me" blues acts. Can you elaborate on him such as what label he's on, what era did he play, what style of blues etc.

Let the good times roll.
    Blinde Blindy McBlindblind (he dropped the 'e' after the 4th grade), was born in a melon patch in San Diego, Tennesee. His parents were 2 men, whom, I can assure you, were as scandalized as you are now.

He gained the moniker 'Blind' after a fellow student realized that, since Blinde was blind, he should be 'Blind' Blindy McBlindblind. That student also introduced McBlindblind to the French horn, in which McBlindblind took a keen interest. Natural progressing led McBlindblind to the blues guitar, when he saw a DVD of Robert Johnson (filmed around 1998), which made him want to thown down his French horn and grab a Dutch one. But there was no such thing, so it was guitar, then.

The rest is history. If you know yer blues, you know about Blind Blindy McBlindblind. If you don't, you'll just know about not-great artists like Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Eric Clapton.

I thank you for that...sincerely.

For me, nobody did it better than Howlin' Wolf. But, many others sure had their moments. Big Joe Turner, Wynonie Harris, Little Walter, Billie Holiday, Leadbelly, Tom Waits, Magic Sam, Freddie King, Big Maybelle, Elmore James, The Rolling Stones, early Dinah Washington, the White Stripes.

I admire Muddy Waters' songs & I dig B.B. King too but I've been burned out on him for awhile. Robert Johnson I was never all that into, and like Muddy Waters he was a figure whose work led to the blues being associated primarily with guitar playing. When done well that's fine but I've been sick of that aspect of it for a long time.

Jimi Hendrix' take on the blues was great, but I think Dylan's was even better.

I don't like others.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte

The rest is history. If you know yer blues, you know about Blind Blindy McBlindblind. If you don't, you'll just know about not-great artists like Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Eric Clapton.

1998..History???? I guess I know Diddley (and not Bo)

First Blues I ever went to see was John Lee Hooker. I was about 17 and had no idea who he was but won some tickets so I went. Ended up sitting on the floor with a glass of whiskey most of the night. Definitely peaked my interest in the blues. I also like the bluesy side of jazz and all kinda R&B. I'd say I listen to more stuff in the gap between jazz and blues than straight up blues these days. Was playing a really good Sonny Phillips record that would fit nicely in there this weekend, actually.

I lean toward more traditional blues and don't care much about the modern blues rock kinda stuff for the most part. I like the old delta stuff best and a bit of the Chicago electric blues as well.

I got a friend who's a big music fan and listens to pretty much nothing but blues. So, to be honest, I often get my fill when I'm hanging around him and tend not to listen to the stuff much otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    I got a friend who's a big music fan and listens to pretty much nothing but blues. So, to be honest, I often get my fill when I'm hanging around him and tend not to listen to the stuff much otherwise.
    I agree that the blues (or at least a lot of it) is not for everyone but I found that my musical tastes evolved to it from listening to a lot of 60's and 70's rock which owes alot to the blues.

There's the problem for me. Most of that 60s and 70s heavily blues influenced rock stuff turns me off to a large degree.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    There's the problem for me. Most of that 60s and 70s heavily blues influenced rock stuff turns me off to a large degree.
    But ain't it great that we all have different tastes and that in it self gives more exposure to tunes that we may never get to hear and I respect that.

I found that since the mid 80's to 2000 or so most rock music took a turn from being about the "feel" to being about the image and style and be damned about the content, please feel free to correct me tho.

I kinda think rock music has been as much about style as substance for a long time. Just look at Elvis, for a glaring example. And, those 60s/70s bands with the long hair and the whole hippie cultural stuff were very tied into were always about much more than just the music.

And, I agree it is good to have different tastes. Nothing worse than a whole room full of people who agree on everything....that is truly boring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information