Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    I kinda think rock music has been as much about style as substance for a long time. Just look at Elvis, for a glaring example. And, those 60s/70s bands with the long hair and the whole hippie cultural stuff were very tied into were always about much more than just the music.

And, I agree it is good to have different tastes. Nothing worse than a whole room full of people who agree on everything....that is truly boring.
    After my initial exposure to the 60/70's rock when I was young I haven't really been a "mainstreamer" tho
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Yeah, you fell for that onr hook, line and sinker.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Blind Blindy McBlindblind
    Sorry Swish...never heard of him (assuming he's male), with a name like that is he for real?. Did a Google with no luck.

I'm always on the lookout for "new to me" blues acts. Can you elaborate on him such as what label he's on, what era did he play, what style of blues etc.

Let the good times roll.
    I know that inside jokes can drive everyone crazy, and that catch me quite often since I'm a bit of a scatter-brain (sigh). Anyway, years ago we had some blues discussion and Finchy posted something that he read in some publication or zine, all tongue-in-cheek of course, about the best name for an old blues player was Blind Blindy McBlindblind, or something close to that. It cracked me up and I never forgot it, so I had to post that to see if he would pick up on it....and he did.

Swish Baby
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Thanks for the update Finch.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Blinde Blindy McBlindblind (he dropped the 'e' after the 4th grade), was born in a melon patch in San Diego, Tennesee. His parents were 2 men, whom, I can assure you, were as scandalized as you are now.

He gained the moniker 'Blind' after a fellow student realized that, since Blinde was blind, he should be 'Blind' Blindy McBlindblind. That student also introduced McBlindblind to the French horn, in which McBlindblind took a keen interest. Natural progressing led McBlindblind to the blues guitar, when he saw a DVD of Robert Johnson (filmed around 1998), which made him want to thown down his French horn and grab a Dutch one. But there was no such thing, so it was guitar, then.

The rest is history. If you know yer blues, you know about Blind Blindy McBlindblind. If you don't, you'll just know about not-great artists like Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Eric Clapton.

I didn't realize he was into the French horn at one time. You learn something new every day.

Blind Swish McBlindswish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Are you referring to the 'Skunkbucket LeFunke' piece that emerged after Ken Burns' Jazz series?

I don't like others.

Did you say Skunkbucket LeFunke?

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    Are you referring to the 'Skunkbucket LeFunke' piece that emerged after Ken Burns' Jazz series?
    Fade up on a grainy old photograph of a man in a three-piece suit, holding a cornet. Or a bicycle horn, it's hard to tell.

Narrator: Skunkbucket LeFunke was born in 1876 and died in 1901. No one who heard him is alive today. The grandchildren
    of the people who heard him are not alive today. The great-grandchildren of the people who heard him are not alive today. He was never recorded.

Wynton Marsalis: I'll tell you what Skunk-bucket LeFunke sounded like. He had this big rippling sound, and he always phrased off the beat, and he slurred his notes. And when the Creole bands were still playing De-bah-de-bah-ta-da-tah, he was already playing Bo-dap-da-lete-do-do-do-bah! He was just like gumbo, ahead of his time.

Announcer: LeFunke was a cornet player, gambler, card shark, pool hustler, pimp, male prostitute, Kelly Girl, computer programmer, brain surgeon and he invented the Internet.

Stanley Crouch: When people listened to Skunkbucket LeFunke, they heard Do-do- dee-bwap-da-dee-dee-de-da-da-doop-doop-
    dap. And they knew even then how deeply profound that was.

Announcer: It didn't take LeFunke long to advance the art of jazz past its humble beginnings in New Orleans whoredom with the addition of a bold and sassy beat.

Wynton: Let me tell you about the Big Four. Before the Big Four, jazz drumming sounded like BOOM-chick-BOOM-chick-BOOM-chick. But now they had the Big Four, which was so powerful some said it felt like a Six. A
    few visiting musicians even swore they were in an Eight.

Stanley: It was smooth and responsive, and there was no knocking and pinging, even on 87 octane.

Wynton: Even on gumbo.

Announcer: When any musician in the world heard Louis Armstrong for the first time, they gnawed their arm off with envy, then said the angels probably wanted to sound like Louis. When you consider a bunch of angels talking in gruff voices
    and singing "Hello Dolly," you realize what a stupid aspiration that is.

Gary Giddy: Louis changed jazz because he was the only cat going Do-da-dep-do-wah-be-be, while everyone else was doing Do-de-dap-dit-dit-dee.

Stanley: And that was very profound.

Marsalis: Like gumbo.

Stanley: Uh-huh.

Matt Glaser: I always have this fantasy that when Louis performed in Belgium, Heisenberg was in the audience and he
    was blown away and that's where he got the idea for his Uncertainty Principle.

Marsalis: Because the Uncertainty Principle, applied to jazz, means you never know if a cat is going to go Dap-da-de-do-ba-ta-bah or Dap-da-de-do-bip-de-beep.

Wynton: Louis was the first one to realize that.

Stanley: And that can be very profound.

Stanley: I thought it was a box of chocolates...

Announcer: The Savoy Ballroom brought people of all races colors and political persuasions together to get sweaty as Europe moved closer and closer to the brink of World War II.

Savoy Dancer: We didn't care what color you were at the Savoy. We only cared if you were wearing deodorant.

Stanley: Wynton always wears deodorant.

Glaser: I'll bet Arthur Murray was on the dance floor and he was thinking about Louis and that's where he got the idea to open a bunch of dance schools.

Stanley: And that was very profound.

Giddy: Let's talk about Louis some more. We've wasted three minutes of this 57-part documentary not talking about Louis.

Wynton: He was an angel, a genius, much better than Cats.

Stanley: He invented the word "Cats."

Wynton: He invented swing, he invented jazz, he invented the telephone, the automobile and the polio vaccine.

Stanley: And the internet.

Wynton: Very profound.

Announcer: Louis Armstrong turned commercial in the 1930s and didn't make any more breakthrough contributions to jazz. But it's not PC to point that out, so we'll be showing him in every segment of this series to come, even if he's just doing the same things as the last time you saw him.

Glaser: I'll bet Chuck Yeager was in the audience when Louis was hitting those high Cs at the Earle Theater in Philadelphia, and that's what made him decide to break the sound barrier.

Stanley: And from there go to Pluto.

Wynton: I'm going to make some gumbo-

Stanley: BOOM-chick-BOOM-chick-BOOM-chick.

Giddy: Do-yap-do-wee-bah-scoot-scoot-dap-dap...That's what all the cats were saying back then.

Announcer: In 1964, John Coltrane was at his peak, Eric Dolphy was in Europe, where he would eventually die, the Modern Jazz Quartet was making breakthrough recordings in the field of Third Stream Music, Miles Davis was breaking new barrier with his second great quintet, and Charlie Mingus was extending jazz composition to new levels of complexity.
    But we're going to talk about Louis singing "Hello Dolly" instead.

Stanley: Louis went, Ba-ba-yaba-do-do-dee-da-bebin-doo-wap-deet-deet-do-da-da.

Wynton: Sweets went, Scoop-doop-shalaba-yaba-mokey-hokey-bwap-bwap-tee-tee-dee.

Giddy: I go, Da-da-shoobie-doobie-det-det-det-bap-bap-baaaaa...

Announcer: The rest of the history of jazz will be shown in fast forward and will occupy exactly seven seconds. --There, that was it. Now here are some scenes from Ken Burns' next documentary, a 97-part epic about the Empire State Building, titled "The Empire State Building."

"It is tall and majestic. It is America's building. It is the Empire State Building. Dozens of workers gave their lives in the construction of this building."

Matt Glaser: I'll bet that they were thinking of Louis as they were falling to their deaths. I have this fantasy that his high notes
    inspired the immenseness of the Empire State Building.

Wynton Marsalis: I'll bet most people who'd fall off the Empire State Building would go "Aaaaaahhhh!" But these cats went "Dee-dee-daba-da-da-bop-bop-de-dop-shewap- splat!"

Nah, not that.

Swish

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    I know that inside jokes can drive everyone crazy, and that catch me quite often since I'm a bit of a scatter-brain (sigh). Anyway, years ago we had some blues discussion and Finchy posted something that he read in some publication or zine, all tongue-in-cheek of course, about the best name for an old blues player was Blind Blindy McBlindblind, or something close to that. It cracked me up and I never forgot it, so I had to post that to see if he would pick up on it....and he did.

Swish Baby
    I know I'm gettin older but I try to keep my ear to the ground when it comes to "new to me" blues acts and if this dude was half as good as ya made it sound I surely woulda hear of him... I thought I was losin' it or this one maybe just flew under my radar.

Good one ...and ya know it's gunna come back atcha.

LDB

One of my favs is Muddy Waters take on Kansas City off his Woodstock album featuring Van Morrison. So, if you haven't heard this I would have a listen when you gotta chance and if you have let us know whatcha think.

Come to think of it I have hundreds of favorites.
    Last edited by Luvin Da Blues; 07-16-2007 at 05:31 PM.

Mutant from table 9
    I've been trying to get a post on this thread but have been busy, so sorry if I'm late to the party.

One of my top 5 favorite bluesmen is Robert Ward. The guy as a signature guitar style unlike anything I've ever heard. I only stumbled upon him because I will generally buy anything I find on the defunct "Blacktop Records" label. The great thing about blues and jazz is that you can generally depend on the labels to provide you with stuff you like. i.e. if you like one artist on the label, there is a good chance you will like his label mates.

This is the only video I could find of Robert Ward. It is a little long and he is at the end, but it is a good watch and may hip you to some other artists. Also, definately stay tuned for "The Big Doowopper" a Chicago street musician playing for money. That guy is just sick, buy his record (I don't get a cut )
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiWaFGKneIY

But, perhaps the best thing about jazz and blues is that you often don't have to go far to hear great music.

From a bar down the street from me:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmSXX...elated&search=

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Smile

It may be just me but do I hear a bit of Buddy Guy in Robert Wards playin' (or visa versa?)? Great stuff SlumpB.

In regards to "The Big Doowopper", now that's what the real blues is about...WOW. And of course Andrew Bird is always a treat.

On the second video, the SQ is so bad it's hard to really hear but Ya, Live Blues and Jazz is completely accessible to just about anyone so inclined.

Keep it coming.

Has Freddie King been mentioned...

yet?

I have this album on.....wax(of course), and is probably the most underrated album in my stacks. Anyone here recommend anything else by him?

JRA

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    ......and of course the 3 Kings, B.B., Albert, and Freddie...
    I got into them right away. From there it was Muddy Waters, T-Bone Walker, John Lee Hooker...etc.
    MGH did also.

Not the best recording but checkout "Two Boys and a Girl" with Lulu Reed & Sonny Thompson. As I said B4 those Texans sure can Play the Blues (with a distinct sound).

I guess so... So damn hard to keep up with this thread now.

Guess I need more free time from work.

PeaRA

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    I guess so... So damn hard to keep up with this thread now.

Guess I need more free time from work.

PeaRA
    Just take less work breaks

There is so very little mention of the blues on this forum that I was gettin lonely. Gotta say guys, good to see suma Ya'll liken me typa tunes (you to Swish). Peace

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    There is so very little mention of the blues on this forum that I was gettin lonely. Gotta say guys, good to see suma Ya'll liken me typa tunes (you to Swish). Peace
    hey
    Just got home from a great Downchild Blues Band show.An outdoor show on a beautiful night,about 500 people went home very happy.If you don't know these guys,check them out,they have been together 38 years and Dan Ackroyd was inspired by them to right the Blues Brothers after seeing them many times in his youth.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    hey
    Just got home from a great Downchild Blues Band show.An outdoor show on a beautiful night,about 500 people went home very happy.If you don't know these guys,check them out,they have been together 38 years and Dan Ackroyd was inspired by them to right the Blues Brothers after seeing them many times in his youth.

bill
    Not bad for a bunch of Canadian white boys eh! I didn't know they were 38 years old, but then again I was pretty young when I first heard them and have seen them on many occasions. If you said "Flip, Flop and Fly" everyone would know of them. My favs of them is "There a Blues Band There" and "Rock Me".

You just don't see the blues "Bands" that much anymore most of it today is solo artists.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information