• 07-28-2006, 08:29 AM
    Resident Loser
    And this means...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Oh, I coulda ventured out and pretended to know something of the VU, but I think that would look so stupid, especially after admitting I hadn't heard the album. No wait...now I know for sure, that it would look so stupid.

...prezackly what?

jimHJJ(...and what is it's impact on my life?...)
  • 07-28-2006, 09:40 AM
    Swish
    Easy there fella! You know the rules...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    (rolls eyes)Swish, buddy -- please, post another entry to the list, let's get this conversation back on track.

...it's one per week for 50 weeks, unless someone chooses to post it in advance and, thus, ruins my little attempt at injecting a little fun and interest in this site, and making me forever their sworn enemy. :ciappa: I am going to try to post them every Tuesday unless I'm physically unable.

Swish - NP: Uncle Tupelo - Anodyne
  • 07-28-2006, 11:27 AM
    BradH
    More music talk.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ..By all accounts their first Tanguska-75 SAM took out their own bird...it was the second that got Powers...

My mistake.

The Sovs launched fourteen SA-2's at Powers. One hit their own fighter and the shockwaves from the others took off the tail of the U2.
  • 07-28-2006, 06:47 PM
    -Jar-
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    (rolls eyes)

You know, a lot of bands weren't influential during their lifetimes, it wasn't until later that people started listening to them that they became influential. L, according to Bowie, one of the reasons the Pixies broke up is because their records didn't sell.

Kind of like... if everyone that was influenced by Big Star actually *bought* their records....
  • 08-04-2006, 06:15 PM
    3-LockBox
    from Progressive Ears website
    Quote:

Baribrotzer said:

Perhaps you have heard the frequently repeated journalistic cliche about the Velvet Underground: That their first LP sold only 5,000 copies, but that everybody who bought one of those then went out and started a band of their own.

I submit that this is not quite true. To me, it seems far more likely that indeed, 2,500 of them did start their own bands - but the other 2,500 bought typewriters instead of guitars, and started careers as rock critics, because they couldn't understand why this slurred, droning, willfully primitive band of NYC conceptual artists hadn't immediately displaced the Beatles as the greatest of all rock bands, they absolutely had to correct this injustice and, no matter how long it took, had to start drumming the V.U.'s transcendent greatness into the rest of the world until musical history had been rewritten.
    I just couldn't resist. I think this guy knocks it outta da park.
  • 08-04-2006, 07:25 PM
    Swish
    What park? Central? Certainly not a ballpark.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    I just couldn't resist. I think this guy knocks it outta da park.

I guess it all comes down to mind over matter. I don't mind, and he doesn't matter.

Swish
  • 08-04-2006, 09:01 PM
    3-LockBox
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Swish

I guess it all comes down to mind over matter. I don't mind, and he doesn't matter.

Swish

Ahhh...one of my favorite lines. Still a good one.

I thought you'd like that post. It was kinda funny, a week after the VU post on RR, the Progressive Ears site featured a VU album as their 'album o' the day'. Seems this list is making the rounds.
  • 08-06-2006, 07:36 AM
    basite
    portishead, they changed the world alot, they don't exist anymore but they still are a big source of inspiration for alot of new groups.