Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

5 latest music purchases

Haven't had one of these for awhile now, so queue up and give us a glimpse into your odd buying habits, with extra reputation points awarded for the oddest habits, and as always, comments welcome and appreciated ...

Caribou - Andorra
    Skipped the last one, but Up In Flames from the days of Manitoba remains one of my favorites of the 2000s, and some are saying this is his best yet. We'll see.

Monkey Swallows the Universe - The Casket Letters
    Didn't I just talk about this? (copy and paste) Ah, how can I resist a band name like that? I Ching meets UK indie folk rock. Lovely sweet girl singer, nice harmonies, acoustic guitars, lap steel, mandolin, cello, another lovely girl on the penny whistle, what's not to like? Oh, and the 3 geeky guys are pretty damn good players too.

Josh Ritter - The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter
    One of the best songwriters around right now. Kinda quirky sounding, but reminds me a bit of that Richard Davies Telegraph record I really like, along with some Dylan and Springsteen, and tentoze is right, maybe even some Nilsson, yeah that's right, Nilsson! More rockin than in the past. Still very new, but I like this a lot.

Augie March - Moo, You Bloody Choir
    Almost unknown here in the US, but a very smart and literate and melodic Aussie band. Can't say I yet love this one as much as the great Strange Bird, but I love at least half of it, and I really love "Clockwork", and it did only cost $5

Three Mile Pilot - Songs From An Old Town We Once Knew
    Just the scattered singles and unreleased leftovers before the beginnings of two of my favorite bands in Black Heart Procession and Pinback (whose upcoming new one is very very good, from what Sloshy says). Haven't soaked it all in yet, and probably won't for quite awhile, but some real gems spread about here, especially the bio-rhythmic "In this town I awaken", which I could probably live with on repeat all day, or the long and squeeky horn and organ-driven "Jadulastan Requiem", which goes on just about all day even without repeating ....

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I went a little prog crazy last week. I haven't spun them all yet, but my last five purchases include:

Ayreon - Actual Fantasy Revisited
    Enchant - Wounded and Time Lost special edition (OOP double disk, purchased used)
    Shadow Gallery - Room V
    Ritual - s/t
    Symphony X - Paradise Lost
    Riverside - Voices In My Head
    ...and that old Triumvirat classic, Spartacus

Okay, so that's seven purchases, but they were all purchased at the same time so I couldn't leave anything out.

Forum Regular

In no particular order...

1. Field Music - Tones of Town
    Quirky English band with a sound of XTC meets the Beach Boys

2. BuckCherry - 15
    Somebody suggested this a while back for some kick ass rock, it came out a few years ago but not a bad suggestion at all

3. Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger
    Not quite the album I was hoping it would be, a lot of the songs just miss the mark for me, maybe it's a grower, and is that Willie Nelson on the first track?

4. The Go Find - Stars on the Wall
    Electro pop stuff with that sort of off-key limp vocal style but I find myself going back to this again and again

5. Spoon - Ga Ga Ga
    Love this album, the best album I've bought this year so far without a doubt. Good songs, nice familiar guitar sound and great sound.

Cheers
    Mike

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Baby 81
    Nick Cave - The Lyre of Orpheus/Abbatoir Blues
    Spoom - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

the other two are used vinyl purchases...

Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring
    Tom Petty - Southern Accents
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Josh Ritter - The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter
    One of the best songwriters around right now. Kinda quirky sounding, but reminds me a bit of that Richard Davies Telegraph record I really like, along with some Dylan and Springsteen, and tentoze is right, maybe even some Nilsson, yeah that's right, Nilsson! More rockin than in the past. Still very new, but I like this a lot. ....
    I tried Josh Ritter a few years ago with Hello Starling but wasn't taken with it that much at the time. But this new one is getting rave reviews all over the map maybe I should try him again, hate to feel as though I'm missing out on something good.

Cheers
    Mike

42 Regular
    Not a lot lately for me. But I think these are my most recent acquisitions...

1. Interpol - Our Love to Admire
    Saw them at Lollapalooza, and liked all the new stuff, so I had to buy this. I like it...but not as much as their first one. Not so far, anyway.

2. Sara Bareilles - Little Voice
    Bought this one for my daughter, but I'm liking it too. Sounds a little like Fiona Apple, but with a much better voice. Solid singer/songwriter stuff.

3. Spoon - Ga X5
    Love it. Flat-out love it.

4. Porky Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
    Yeah, it's been a while now. I really like some of it, but as a whole this is a letdown from their last 2 (I happen to like Deadwing as much as In Absentia). Worth having, but not setting me on fire.

5. Warren Zevon - Stand in the Fire
    Classic live album, finally released to CD for the first time.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Still the slowest year in several for me as far as new purchases.

Josh Ritter~ The Historical Conquests- head and shoulders above anything else for me

Linda Thompson~ Versatile Heart- lovely voice, as always, but the whole doesn't engage me very deeply

Johny Cash~ American V- yeah, I'm slow getting to some things. Glad I got to this one

Lucinda~ West- hell with what anyone else thinks, this a fine album(s)

Charlie Louvin~ S/T- swan song. Interesting duets.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Forum Regular

Second Hand LPs

Well, I recently purchased 30 some used LPs from a local thrift store and the public library (people donate them for sale to raise funds). I'm starting to cull my LP collection to make room for most of them. Here are a number of them:

Bidu Sayao, soprano, Bachianas Brasilieras No. 5 and Operatic Arias. This contains her classic recording of the Villa Lobos work.

Bach at Royal Festival Hall London, with Fernando Germani, organ, on Seraphim.

Beethoven, Piano Concertos 2 and 4, and another LP with No. 5, with Leon Fleisher, pianist; George Szell, conductor; and The Cleveland Orchestra.

Martyn Green in Famous Gilbert and Sullivan Songs.

The World of W. S. Gilbert & A. Sullivan, vols. 1 and 2, on London.

A John Charles Thomas Recital and John Charles Thomas Sings Songs You Love, both on RCA Camden. Most of you probably have never heard of John Charles Thomas but he was one of the great baritones of the 30's and 40's, and appeared often on radio, very popular. The CD reissues by Nimbus Prima Voce are much clearer.

Germany's Rudolf Schock, Europe's Greatest Tenor. Well, I think that's hype, but he was very good and had a very secure technique. These are popular classical songs and operetta arias.

Richard Tauber, tenor, Vienna, City of My Dreams, on Seraphim.

Verdi, Highlights from Traviata. Joan Sutherland, Carlo Bergonzi, Robert Merrill; John Pritchard, conductor; Chorus and Orchestra of Maggio Musicale Fiorentino on London.

James Melton, tenor, Sings George Gershwin and Cole Porter with orchestra conducted by Hugo Montenegro on Tops (pretty obscure label now!). He was a quite competent tenor, very nice voice quality. He also sang opera at the Met.

Mady Mesple Sings Voices of Spring with The Frank Pourcel Orchestra on Angel. She was quite an eminent French soprano.

Jeannette MacDonald & Nelson Eddy, Favaorites in Stereo on RCA. This was recorded somewhat past Eddy's prime though MacDonald is as good as ever, and reprises their hits from the 30's

Dennis Day, My Wild Irish Rose, on RCA Camden. I picked this up for nostalgia. But I find Day was a pretty good tenor and sang the sorts of things he did very well.

Sherrill Milnes, baritone, A Grand Night for Singing, with Jerrold Ottley conducting the Columbia Symphony, on Columbia. Milnes had a wonderful voice for opera, but he seems to have little feeling for show music.

Mahalia Jackson, Great Gettin' Up Morning and Newport-1958 on Columbia. Her singing style is a lot of techniques and mannerisms to me, doesn't turn me on much, but my wife likes her.

Hindemith, Symphonic Metamorphoses and Janacek, Sinfonietta; Claudio Abbado, conductor, London SO, on London.

William Schuman, Concerto on Old English Rounds; Leonard Bernstein, conductor; New York Philharmonic, on Columbia. Never warmed up to Schuman, and this is supposed to be one of his more approachable works!

Stevan Staryk, violin, Plays Kreisler with Jane Corwin, piano, on CBC. He was an excellent violinist but I like several others somewhat better doing Fritz Kreisler's little pieces, including Kreisler himself.

Carl Orff, Carmina Burana, with Fruhbeck de Burgos and the New Philharmonia Orchestra and Chorus on EMI. Soloists are Lucia Popp, Gerhard Unger, Raymond Wolansky, and John Noble.

Vivaldi, Telemann, and Rosetti, Concerti for Horn and Orchestra, on Turnabout.

Beethoven, String Quartets Op. 18, Nos. 1 and 3; Orford String Quartet, on CBC. Nice record, very well recorded, but the playing is somewhat bland compared to the Quartetto Italiano.

Tchaikovsky, Symphony No. 6; Pierre Monteux conducting the Boston SO on RCA Victrola.

Chopin, Sonata no. 2; Rachmaninoff, 2 Etude-Tableaus. Schumann, Arabesque; Liszt, Hungarian Rhapsody No. 19 (transcribed by Horowitz); Vladimir Horowitz, piano, on Columbia. The playing is simply fabulour of course, with a great perf. of the Chopin.

Max Morath, piano, plays the Best of Scott Joplin and Other Rag Classics, on a Vanguard Twofer. The first record is all piano, and is great; the second LP of arrangements for a quartet of piano, bajo, guitar, and bass, is less successful.

19th Century American Ballroom Music; James Weaver, director; Smithsonian Social Orchestra and Quadrille Band, on Nonesuch. Uses historical instruments. Well, it's interesting though not arresting.

Lily Tomlin, This is a Recording, on Polydor. Copyright 1971 by OMNIPOTENT PUBLISHING--those of you who have heard her will get the joke.

My Fair Lady, unknown performers, and is labeled A Stage Door Production, on the National Academy Record Club label.

Catherine McKinnon, The Voice of Angel, on Arc. This is apparently her first album and she did have a lovely sounding voice.

Theodore Bikel, Songs of a Russian Gypsy, on Elektra.

This Ottawa Valley of Mine, Mac Beattie & his Melodiers, on Banff, a product of Rodeo Records.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    I tried Josh Ritter a few years ago ... wasn't taken with it that much at the time ... hate to feel as though I'm missing out on something good.
    Ahh, the problems we face as hopeless addicts, if only "normal" people could appreciate what we go through on a daily basis. Wanting to buy a record even though we don't like the guy, just because we don't want to possibly miss out. Yea, you've got it pretty bad, Mike. Have you heard that Monkey Swallows the Universe band I mentioned yet? From Sheffield and getting some pretty nice press on this one. Electrelane No Shouts No Calls spinning right now, still my favorite of this year. But new PJ Harvey on the horizon too with her piano album, Jim White on drums. PJ Harvey does Cat Power? I could like that a lot. Good year for the women in music.

Been shopping a lot this week:

1. Bruce Hornsby - "Intersections": Box set of mostly live tracks plus dvd - so far it's pretty great.

2. M.I.A. - "Kala": I still listen to Arular quite a bit, so this one has a lot to live up to. I think I need some more time with it.

3. Ben Harper & Innoc. Crims. - "Lifeline" - Just got my first listen - it's amazing. I love the old school recording style, I wish more music was recorded like this.

4. Grateful Dead - "Three from the Vault" - An early seventies show - I'm a big fan of One and Two - it only took around 15 years for the third to come out, but it was worth the wait.

5. Josh Ritter - "Historical Conquests" . . .: My first Ritter album - I'm pleasantly surprised.

My Gear:

Marantz SR7001
    NHT SB-3 (Mains)
    NHT SC2 (Center)
    Boston Acoustic In-Wall (Surround)
    Sony DVP-NC875VB Black (DVD/CD/SACD)
    SVS PB-10 (Subwoofer)
    Samsung 42" DLP

Rae
    (all on vinyl):

Nina Nastasia & Jim White - You Follow Me
    Haven't listened to it yet.

Sugar Pie DeSanto - Down in the Basement: The Chess Years
    Couldn't resist this one as it includes her duet with Etta James, "In the Basement, pt. 1". I'm living in a basement apartment now, so it seemed appropriate. One spin doesn't reveal anything quite as giddy as that little number, but it's pretty solid.

Rhino Soul Shots Vol. 8: Sweet Soul Sisters
    Cool stuff including Gloria Jones' original version of "Tainted Love", The Flirtations' "Nothing But a Heartache", The Mirettes, The Sweet Inspirations, etc.

Gear Daddies - Billy's Live Bait
    Just a little nostalgia buy when I ran across a used copy of this. I used to listen to this record a lot in junior high; Martin Zellar's voice sounds more like affectation than authenticity to me now, though. Oh well.

Bruce Springsteen - "Born to Run" / "The River" / "Rosalita" 12"
    Some promo single for a UK tour in 1980. I have all these songs other places, of course, but the album art is neat and it's much cleaner than any of my other Boss records. "Rosalita" already got 3 spins and I only picked it up yesterday afternoon. "Winners use the door-- so use it, Rosie, that's what it's there for!!"

~Rae

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    Still the slowest year in several for me as far as new purchases.
    Hey, have you heard any from this one yet ....

I've only read some glowing reviews and listened to a bit so far, but sounds pretty good, especially the title track. Probably pick it up at some point, although still import now (although amazon has a pretty good price, hmmm). Sounds like real alt-country, with some of that goth-folk-indie-whatever sound I like a lot. Husband wife team does most of the singing, and she sounds kind of like Nancy Sinatra at times, not like the novelty "Boots", more like with Lee.

http://loosemusic.com/shop/full-cata...atefold-vinyl/

Quote Originally Posted by Olivertmc
    3. Ben Harper & Innoc. Crims. - "Lifeline" - Just got my first listen - it's amazing. I love the old school recording style, I wish more music was recorded like this.
    What does that "old school recording style" mean? His first 3 records sounded really nice, but kind of went down pretty fast after that for me, both sonically and musically. Might have to listen to some of this. Keep me posted after getting in a couple more listens.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I went a little prog crazy ... Actual Fantasy Revisited ... Wounded and Time Lost ... Paradise Lost ... Voices In My Head
    Prog crazy? An obvious redundancy when viewed with your shopping list, or are you just trying really hard for those extra reputation points I promised for the oddest among us?

What does that "old school recording style" mean? His first 3 records sounded really nice, but kind of went down pretty fast after that for me, both sonically and musically. Might have to listen to some of this. Keep me posted after getting in a couple more listens.

Davey:

It was recorded and mixed on an analog 16 track machine. No computers or pro-tools. It reminds me of how my old band used to record in some friend's basement or living room. Just a really nice raw sound where the instruments (especially the drums) sound the way they really do live.

Have you heard "Both Sides of the Gun"? - two disc set, one acoustic and one electric. It came out a couple of years ago - it is great. Personally, I don't really like his early stuff too much. I like a bunch of individual songs, but none of those albums grabbed me.

I'll give you a full review after a few more listens.

My Gear:

Marantz SR7001
    NHT SB-3 (Mains)
    NHT SC2 (Center)
    Boston Acoustic In-Wall (Surround)
    Sony DVP-NC875VB Black (DVD/CD/SACD)
    SVS PB-10 (Subwoofer)
    Samsung 42" DLP

Hey, have you heard any from this one yet ....

I've only read some glowing reviews and listened to a bit so far, but sounds pretty good, especially the title track. Probably pick it up at some point, although still import now (although amazon has a pretty good price, hmmm). Sounds like real alt-country, with some of that goth-folk-indie-whatever sound I like a lot. Husband wife team does most of the singing, and she sounds kind of like Nancy Sinatra at times, not like the novelty "Boots", more like with Lee.

http://loosemusic.com/shop/full-cata...atefold-vinyl/
    Didn't know about that one either. I liked If We Can't Trust The Doctors alright, but it didn't knock me out or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivertmc
    Personally, I don't really like his early stuff too much. I like a bunch of individual songs, but none of those albums grabbed me.
    Yea, kinda figured that might be the case from some of the other things you mentioned, but "Fight For Your Mind" remains one of my favorites of the 90s. Be interesting to hear more of your thoughts. Love that analog tape sound. How's the CD mastered? Very loud and compressed like most other modern stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    Didn't know about that one either. I liked If We Can't Trust The Doctors alright, but it didn't knock me out or anything.
    When's the last time you got knocked out or anything? Just kidding, I know what you mean, gets harder and harder to get that feeling. Probably happens to me more often, but I'm a pretty easy knockout

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Neil Young~Hawks and Doves DVD-A
    Puccini~Turandot Placido Domingo on Deutsche Grammophon
    Wilco~Sky Blue Sky
    Thelonius Monk~Genius of Modern Music Vol.1
    John Lee Hooker~Boom Boom Classics DAD

For these ears last week was a good week. This week Sloshy has me pointed in a different direction with his "All Over The Map". Any Sparklehorse or Pinback recs are welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Neil Young~Hawks and Doves DVD-A
    Puccini~Turandot Placido Domingo on Deutsche Grammophon
    Wilco~Sky Blue Sky
    Thelonius Monk~Genius of Modern Music Vol.1
    John Lee Hooker~Boom Boom Classics DAD

For these ears last week was a good week. This week Sloshy has me pointed in a different direction with his "All Over The Map". Any Sparklehorse or Pinback recs are welcome...
    Let me know how that DVD-A of Hawks and Doves is....I have been weary of that thing for quite some time...I keep wanting to get it, but it's Dolby Digital and High Rez only, no DTS. I just don't want to get burned on it, I was a bit disappointed with HARVEST DVD-A.

When's the last time you got knocked out or anything? Just kidding, I know what you mean, gets harder and harder to get that feeling. Probably happens to me more often, but I'm a pretty easy knockout
    I guess it HAS been a while. I stupidly left off the one cd, probably in the last 5 I've bought- the last 7 for sure- from this year that has gotten a lot of repeat play- Ry Cooder's My Name Is Buddy.

DPM
    I too will have to go with seven as I bought them all at once (well almost).

Opeth/Still Life
    Muse/Black Holes And Revelations
    Three/The End Is Begun
    Jean Luc Ponty/Enigmatic Ocean and Cosmic Messenger
    Frost/Milliontown
    Greenslade/Greenslade (used vinyl)

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Any Sparklehorse or Pinback recs are welcome...
    Sparklehorse - hard to go very far wrong with any of 'em but my ranking is:
    1. It's a Wonderful Life
    2. Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot
    3. Good Morning, Spider
    4. Dreamt for Light Years in the Belly of a Mountain

Pinback - again, I like them all but definitely go for Summer In Abaddon first, then:
    Autumn of the Seraphs (release day is 9/11/07)
    Blue Screen Life
    self-titled

Their Offcell EP is pretty good too but I'd stick with the full-lenghters for now.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Prog & Crazy: Two words that fit together perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I went a little prog crazy last week. I haven't spun them all yet and probably shouldn't because they more than likely suck.
    They call me....Swish.
    Last edited by Swish; 08-28-2007 at 02:45 PM.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

I swear I didn't see your response when I posted mine!

Prog crazy? An obvious redundancy when viewed with your shopping list, or are you just trying really hard for those extra reputation points I promised for the oddest among us?

Great minds think alike. And ours did too.

Swish Baby
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Just picked up a couple new ones...

...along with a few I've had for a little while.

Over the Rhine - The Trumpet Child
    - not sure I like this one after a couple spins. Not bad, just not doing anything for me.

Richard Buckner - Meadow - had to buy it after a couple knuckle-heads on RR raved on and on about it. Shut up already!

Editors - An End Has a Start - still liking this one, although not as much as the previous.

Interpol - Our Love to Admire
    - like this one too.

Sadaharu - Resist.Revolt.Reclaim - shameless plug for a cd co-produced, mixed, and engineered by my son-in-law. He also did some backing vocals and percussion.

G Swish

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information