5 Best Punk Movies of all time.

So I was reading a certain publication and there is a big section about movies with great music soundtracks or movies based on bands and/or their music. They have a number of 'Top 5" lists as well as a list of the 50 greatest rock soundtracks of all time, which I plan to use as fodder for another weekly (or is it weakly) posting.

Anyway, this first one about punk caught my eye since I saw three of them, so here they are:

Blank Generation - 1980
    Stop Making Sense - 1984
    Sid & Nancy - 1986
    The Filth and the Fury - 2000
    End of the Century - 2003

I have Stop Making Sense on DVD and it's one of my favorite music DVDs of all time, never mind the 'punk' labeling. Sid & Nancy was pretty good, although I only saw this movie, based on Sid Vicious from the Sex Pistols and his groupie girlfriend, just one time.
    I also saw the last one, a very good documentary on the Ramones.

Anyone see the other two?

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Does SLC Punk count?
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

No Stevo...I mean Slosho...it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Does SLC Punk count?
    And nothing else about Salt Lake City counts either. Ever been there? I have, and if you haven't, you're not missing much.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Can't say I've seen any of these films with the exception of End of the Century which was decent.. When I saw the thread title, I expected to see "Suburbia" mentioned...it wasn't, but I think I'll throw that flick in tonight...classic...Slash has a minor role in it.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    And nothing else about Salt Lake City counts either. Ever been there? I have, and if you haven't, you're not missing much.

Swish
    c/s

There aren't too many things I can think of on the same level of general jackassery than having to join a club to have a proper adult beveredge.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Does SLC Punk count?
    I would clearly think so, but maybe that's just me. What about the film JUBILEE?

Ha ha! I almost forgot about that deal.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    c/s

There aren't too many things I can think of on the same level of general jackassery than having to join a club to have a proper adult beverage.
    Yeah, join the club and your in buddy! And I thought PA had the most ridiculous liquor laws in the country. Well, PA probably does, what with a Liquor Control Board that purchases all the alcohol for the entire state (wine included) and from which everyone must purchase their beverages. Everyone. Bars, restaurants, service clubs, you name it. And yet, as the single largest purchaser of booze in the world, they still have prices that are among the highest in the country. How the heck does that happen? Oh, I almost forgot. It's government run. Silly Swish.And if you try to bring any in from another state and get caught, you will be fined. That doesn't stop many thousands living in the Philly area and other border towns from going to NJ, DE and MD for their booze. It's totally worth it if you buy a decent amount.

Swish

Tough to top The Decline Of Western Civilization. Blank Generation is pretty obscure, I think that's the one with the Warhol cameo & some good live stuff from CB's, but, like Rude Boy, the performances outshine the rest of the movies by a wide margin.

Good documentaries lately on The Minutemen & American Hardcore; the Filth & the Fury is on a par with the Clash's Westway To The World & End Of The Century.

Sid & Nancy was entertaining but Repo Man was MUCH better in many ways.

I don't like others.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    list of the 50 greatest rock soundtracks of all time, which I plan to use as fodder for another weekly (or is it weakly) posting.
    I actually look forward to it.

Repo Man
    SLC Punk
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

I love Music DVDs

Stop Making Sense is AWESOME. SLC punk is alright.... and I'd say Trainspotting has a punk-vibe to it. I don't have a good set up, my television ( 37" 1080p Aquos) was a gift, but among my collection of DVDs (which is small compared to people who ARE in fact collectors I guess... I'm at 400-425 or so) I have about 50-60 Music/Concert DVDs..... I can always give suggestions on which ones I like... but it's like most things where it dances in the realm of personal preference.

The Last Waltz (about The Band, ie Robbie Robertson and gang) is a must view also.

In no particular order, and expanding a hair over five cause I can't decide...

Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle
    Decline of Western Civilization
    Rude Boy
    Repo Man
    Suburbia
    Ladies and Gentlemen, Introducing the Fabulous Stains.

I also really liked
    Filth & the Fury
    End of The Century
    American Hardcore
    The Minutemen One (whatever it was called)
    Another State of Mind

Never saw Blank Generation, would wanna look that one up sometime. I thought Jubilee was pretty bad, but it's been ages since I saw it, and god knows what I was up to at the time to influence me. SLC punk just annoyed me.

Rae
    Neil Hamburger Live at the Phoenix Greyhound Park.

~Rae

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    'Another State of Mind'...was that the one with MInor Threat skating a halfpipe and some good Cro-Mag's footage? haven't seen that in forever...Repo Man of course. and I'd put up the Powell-Peralta Animal Chin trilogy...

There's a good dvd of the European Sonic Youth tour with Nirvana opening...maybe 89'ish. forget what it's called but this is also pretty sweet.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Rawk on

1991: The Year Punk Broke.

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    In no particular order, and expanding a hair over five cause I can't decide...

Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle
    Decline of Western Civilization
    Rude Boy
    Repo Man
    Suburbia
    Ladies and Gentlemen, Introducing the Fabulous Stains.

I also really liked
    Filth & the Fury
    End of The Century
    American Hardcore
    The Minutemen One (whatever it was called)
    Another State of Mind

SLC punk just annoyed me.
    There's yer definitive list of the good ones. Another State of Mind is still the most watchable for me. I was waiting for someone to name the Great Rock and Roll Swindle, but I think that was off the radar for a number of years as "out of print."

Hasn't any mentioned ROCK AND ROLL HIGH SCHOOL? Rif Randall was hot.

Gotta give it up for 1979's OVER THE EDGE:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Also, I would add REFORM SCHOOL GIRLS just for Wendy O' Williams appearance.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I will admit that I liked SLC Punk. But, it's not very punk rock of me to admit that.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Thread Information