I have purchased a couple of these remastered compilations in the past and have been amazed at how good the quality was. I was recently at a Wal-Mart store and saw a large display of several titles for only $7.50. They had comps from the likes of The Who, Allman Brothers, Kiss, Motley Crew, Scorpions as well as some R&B and Country artists. As you all, I have music by most of the artists but was tempted to pick some up just to see what they were able to do with their music. I also wonder how they get their hands on the masters. If I was an artist after hearing what they are able to do I'd give the masters to them too. They are able to take this music and in most instances bring it up to audiophile quality sound. I did end up picking up about 4 of them.

I picked up a 3 Dog Night comp that to date is by far the best sounding 3 Dog Night music I've ever heard. I have a few vinyls but they always sounded muffled so I am very happy with the CD. I also picked up Steve Earl, Kool & the Gang and Donna Summers. All of the 20th Century Masters are amazingly good sound quality. My mom picked up a Smokey Robinson & The Miracles. Some of the earlier hits sounded thin but I'm sure that's due to the original masters they had to work with. The Donna Summers CD sounds better than most of the newer pop artist CD's I've purchased in recent years.

If you are looking for a "Best Of" type comp of an artist or just want to hear a fantastic recording of your favorite artist, I'd highly recommend grabbing up some 20th Century Masters. And if they are $7.50 at your Wal-Mart, that's a steal.

They had Edda James, Johnny Cash, Marvin Gaye, Barry White, The Gap Band, Hank Williams, Conway Twitty/Loretta Lynn, Eric Clapton, Temptations, Patty Labelle and that with the prior titles I mentioned is all I can remember. I also have Chris DeBerg and Ohio Players from them.