Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    42 Regular

2009 releases: So far, so good!

I wasn't wild about most of what I heard in 2008. But this year is less than 3 weeks old, and I'm already building a pretty solid shopping list of current releases. I like what I'm hearing from the new Animal Collective, Andrew Bird, Ezra Furmen & the Harpoons, The Boxer Rebellion and Umphry's McGee discs.

How about you?
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    I pre-ordered the new M. Ward album set for release in Feb. Check it out on the Merge Records website.

hope to pick up the new Andrew Bird soon.

There happened to be an article in today's paper on the new U2 album due in March. I don't know if I'll pick it up, but interestingly it's supposed to be available in 5 different packages.

Maybe this will be the year the new Hellsayers and Richard Davies albums will be finally released. And maybe The Wrens too.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    I wasn't wild about most of what I heard in 2008. But this year is less than 3 weeks old, and I'm already building a pretty solid shopping list of current releases. I like what I'm hearing from the new Animal Collective, Andrew Bird, Ezra Furmen & the Harpoons, The Boxer Rebellion and Umphry's McGee discs.

How about you?
    What's the word on the Umphrey's McGee disc?

Now you got me excited!

I've got a 4-disc set of them on NYE '04- if you want to check it out, lemme know.

fp

42 Regular
    I'm actually not an Umphry's fan...but the bits I've heard from the new one sound interesting to me. Apparently, they worked on this one for like 3 years.

A discrete little bird shared the Andrew Bird leak with me before its release, and it's good stuff. (I definitely owe him one, and I might just send him something via old-fashioned snail mail, assuming he's still at the same address.)

And a buddy at work played me some of that Ezra Furmen & the Harpoons yesterday...I'd never heard of them before. Sorta like Willie Nile meets Violent Femmes.

And I actually downloaded that new Boxer Rebellion album, which I almost never do. But $5.99 for a DRM-free, 256kps album isn't a bad deal...and I'm liking what I'm hearing. Think Interpol meets The Killers, with an undercoat of Radiohead and splashes of Elbow here and there.

And the new Animal Collective is getting huge buzz everywhere. The consensus seems to be it's a surprisingly engaging neo-psychedelic mess.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Well, check this out, then!

http://www.myanimalhome.net/

Pure Reason Revolution is supposed to have a new one out this spring. I'll swoop down on it as soon as its out.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    yeah, slosh..sorry about the long wait, but in the next few months, "all you need to sleep" by wayne robbins & the hellsayers will be released..after thousands of dollars (lots of money for us) and botched mixes and missed time, we're releasing an album that was self recorded and engineered by us and morgan kraft and mixed by mitch easter (r.e.m, pavement,etc) and the super furry animals..it's quiet different, but it's definitely waaaay better than the lonesome sea in our eyes, not that we're not proud of that one..anyhoo..will keep you posted and yes, it'll finally be here after we've all been waiting..thanks so much for sticking w/ us and the support....jonas

www.myspace.com/thehellayers

Quote Originally Posted by cole
    yeah, slosh..sorry about the long wait, but in the next few months, "all you need to sleep" by wayne robbins & the hellsayers will be released..after thousands of dollars (lots of money for us) and botched mixes and missed time, we're releasing an album that was self recorded and engineered by us and morgan kraft and mixed by mitch easter (r.e.m, pavement,etc) and the super furry animals..it's quiet different, but it's definitely waaaay better than the lonesome sea in our eyes, not that we're not proud of that one..anyhoo..will keep you posted and yes, it'll finally be here after we've all been waiting..thanks so much for sticking w/ us and the support....jonas

www.myspace.com/thehellsayers
    Awesome news! I'll pre-order asap!

edit: fixed link
    Last edited by Slosh; 01-31-2009 at 10:21 AM.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Gonna be a good year!

New Killswitch Engage, and new Mastodon. Nothing else really matters

Mitch Easter involvement you say? You've definitely got my attention.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

First spin and so far me likey. Anyone else plan on grabbing it?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Oh oh, you've gotten ahead of me on Robyn et al! The answer...of course I'm getting it. Putting this one on my Amazon list. Thanky for the heads up!
    Last edited by noddin0ff; 02-15-2009 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cole

www.myspace.com/thehellayers
    Nice sound on the link. I'll have to check it out. Hopefully you'll post when released?

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    How's about you tell us, old sport? Your taste usually runs along the same lines as mine, or vice versa. Whatcha think, should I be running out post haste?
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    How's about you tell us, old sport? Your taste usually runs along the same lines as mine, or vice versa. Whatcha think, should I be running out post haste?
    Amazon says release date is Feb 17. Slosh is, once again, way ahead of the curve...how does he do it?

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Cuz Slosh be da mang.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

I got the new Umphrey's McGee and I thinks its stellar. Its the kind of notey, pop/rock that turns my prog crank. Very very well written and performed. Not overtly busy for busy's sake (ala neo-prog). It is more song oriented with some extended (though shortened) playing for good measure. These guys have chops but don't write material for the sake of showing off, they write good songs and the song craft and playing on this album is tight.

I've heard good things about the new one from John Frusciante. I guess its a theme based album. I've heard some of his other solo stuff and was impressed, but never pulled the trigger. I may on this one.

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    Lovin' Andrew Bird's 'Noble Beast'...feels like a pastoral Radiohead on quite a few songs. and the vinyl sounds lovely - spread out over two albums.
    The new Animal Collective is excellent...again, spread out over two lp's with excellent SQ. It's kinda psychedelic-clubby so one album is enough for me in one sitting. Really a great one, though I was already on-board the A.C. wagon. If in doubt, listen to 'My Girls' or 'Brother Sport'.
    Speaking of wagons...the Welcome Wagon album is pretty fun. A hubbie/wife team from Brooklyn...who play a lot of ol' timey gospel stuff in their living room. Sufjan Stevens heard them and produced, recorded, played along with, and arranged their tunes for their debut album. Very christian but not really preachy...if you like Sufjan, which I really do, you should check 'em out.
    I just saw Antony and the Johnsons last night...Amazing show! He's just incredible. I haven't picked up the new album 'cuz the vinyl's not out for a few more weeks but the ep from last year is gorgeous.
    Looking forward to Neko Case and heard there's a new Akron/Family in the works...

42 Regular
    I'm liking what I'm hearing on that Hellsayers link... thanks for posting, cole. That's you on guitar, correct?

And to shift gears a bit...I'm also liking what I'm hearing from the upcoming Steven Wilson solo effort. It's getting some decent buzz, too.

(And yeah, I'm a stinkin' U2 fanboy from way-the-fark back, so I'll prolly get that too. So sue me.)
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Granted, I'm an unabashed Hitchcock fan, however my preview of Goodnight Oslo indicates that this is a worthy album for 2009. I'll definitely support one of my favorite artists with a purchase. Not as rocking as Ole Tarantula, it comes closer to his work with the Egyptians. But, this band of all stars (R.E.M.) is tighter and has a terrific flair for making good music with Robyn's oddness. Generalizing impression is that this album is Robyn with a touch of Blues. All good. Right now I'm picking What You Is as the winning track to look for on the radio. Who knows though, I'm like 0 for 50 on my own internal running list of predictions.

Hey Mr. MifFi,

Just wanted to throw a "thanks" your way for starting this thread. I wasn't really familiar w/ The Boxer Rebellion or Animal Collective & checked them out. Very nice. Thanks again, Sugar

btw, you get 3 lumps for posting this thread w/ some great music on it!
    Don't you like it on the sly? Don't you like it till it hurts? Have I been on your mind? What's a voice without a song?

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    Amazon says release date is Feb 17. Slosh is, once again, way ahead of the curve...how does he do it?
    It helps to be attractive and charming.

Or maybe its because I'm friends with the girl who does the ordering at my neighborhood indie record store? Hmmm . . . .

NP:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    I've heard good things about the new one from John Frusciante. I guess its a theme based album. I've heard some of his other solo stuff and was impressed, but never pulled the trigger. I may on this one.

I've heard some stuff, so 3LB, do me a favor and lemme know what you think about this one, if you are in favor of it & think it's a good one to acquire.
    Thanks!
    Don't you like it on the sly? Don't you like it till it hurts? Have I been on your mind? What's a voice without a song?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information