Thread: $5.00 speakers

Smile $5.00 speakers

About a month ago I spilled beer on my friend's receiver in their basement (don't ask). I felt bad about this, of course, so I let them use my old Marantz integrated amp until I could find a replacement. Kind of a waste using such a nice amp with their lousy sounding Cerwin Vegas (the receiver I killed with beer was just a cheapie Kenwood).

So yesterday at a thrift shop I came across an ancient $5.00 Sony Dolby Surround receiver (4-channel, not even Pro Logic) that's at least equal to the Kenwood. There was also a pair of Baby Advents for all of $5.00 that I snagged for my garage. These are the real-deal Advents too . . . . before the brand was sold to Jensen. What kills me is they were also selling a crappy pair of '70s-era Pioneer tower speaker for three times as much.

Anyway, I'm not gonna say these 30 year-old speakers are incredible or anything but they're certainly good enough for my garage. Hehe, the stereo in my garage is better than most of my friends' main systems.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Those little Advents make very good sound- I've had a few pairs run through my place, fine for garage or B/R.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Chicago IL
    2 days ago I got a pair of Cerwin Vega U-123 in mint condition for $15! Usually I never stop at Goodwill but this day I was like I will just check what they have and I got them!

Here is a picture!

Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    2 days ago I got a pair of Cerwin Vega U-123 in mint condition for $15! Usually I never stop at Goodwill but this day I was like I will just check what they have and I got them!
    The CVs my friend has look similar but are two-way with horn tweeters. They're certainly not audiophile sounding but in fairness they do have to compete with a drum kit and an Epi Les Paul/150 watt Line 6 amp and they do play loud!!!
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Whattup Sloshy,

Nice grab, I'm sure the Advents are quality vintage gears. You should have the best sounding garage (with the sharpest whip too) in the hood...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Whattup Sloshy,

Nice grab, I'm sure the Advents are quality vintage gears. You should have the best sounding garage (with the sharpest whip too) in the hood...
    Yeah, the Advents don't sound quite as good as the Hemi but at least they produce less deadly fumes.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Showoff...

...I'd be showin' off too
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Thread Information