AR Newbie Registered Member

Playing iPod in your car?

Hi

I have just bought my first ipod so my knowledge is very limited. If you are going to play your ipod through the line level/ data port connection of the ipod, what cable do you need to buy to connect it from the ipod to your car sterio?

thanks!

Forum Regular

a few options..

If your car stereo has an aux in (rca or mini-jack), it will cost you about 5 bucks for the cable. Your neighborhood Radio Shack will hook you up. Some of the newer car stereos have front panel mini-jack inputs. A pricier option would be one of a number of iPod interfaces from Harmon Kardon for example. Depending on your car, a number of auto manufacturers have iPod Interfaces as an option, Ford, Honda and Mercedes to name a few. Lastly, there are wireless devices that use your car's FM radio. They all suck. Avoid this option if at all possible. They can work well but the audio quality is low and you'll probably find yourself constantly retuning your radio to lock in the signal.

nightflier
    Just a thought: wouldn't this be a good application for bluetooth?

If your interested in spending money on a device to this i would check out the harmon Kardon Drive+play its a bit more than just a cable but its a pretty convienent way to control your ipod while driving.

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/...USA&Country=US
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

Yes, that would be an excellent implementation of Bluetooth.

The cable you need is likely the headphone to headphone plug you can find at Radio Shack. I got one after getting a Sony Xplod installed in my car. After scratching my head over all the FM tuner, casette tape crap, I said, screw it, I'll just change out the stereo. Now all I need are better car speakers.

Grerat minds think alike.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    Yes, that would be an excellent implementation of Bluetooth.

The cable you need is likely the headphone to headphone plug you can find at Radio Shack. I got one after getting a Sony Xplod installed in my car. After scratching my head over all the FM tuner, casette tape crap, I said, screw it, I'll just change out the stereo. Now all I need are better car speakers.
    I just "upgraded" my Hyundai's Cd player, which wasn't too bad, to a Sony GT-300 simply for that front panel aux input.

Yeah, the input is great but the radio itself smokes the factory model. But, I was pleasantly surprised what the factory speakers sounded like with a "real" radio. The buttons on the Sony are a little funky, but one gets used to them.

The down side is that the wife wanted one, too. And, mrs.w knows quality and usually gets what she wants. She got me, didn't she?

Yeah, I'm totally pleased with the sound and was actually the first time I didn't have a twinge of regret for dropping $300 on an iPod. Even with this unit and with factory speakers get great CD sound, far above the mp3 sound. But the primary reason I want to replace the speakers is because the front driver side speaker emits little to no sound, sometimes distored sound and the imbalance drives me nuts.

nightflier
    For those of us who don't have an easy-to-upgrade car stereo, what would it take to just get a small 3.5mm jack installed in or under the dash? I know there are iPod interfaces like the HK, but I have a non-apple player (sorry, I'm a non-conformist) and I may also want to plug other stuff in, too. And what would this cost?

P.S. I drive a Saab, and everytime I discuss options with my service center they only want to peddle their factory-authorized stuff (Sirius or HK is about it), and their prices are through the roof. Frankly, I can't see why every car doesn't come with a 3.5mm jack and a pair of standard 120v plugs....

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Does any one have the knowledg of installing an i-Pod to an old Sony MDX-C7900 car stereo?

WHat I don't understand is when I looked at the back of the unit it had an input jack and 2 basic outputs, so what did I do when I saw the input jack?

I pluged in a audio cable that came with my Sirius Sat. unit. this same cable was used in my home stereo's Aux port so I can play my i-Pod through my home stereos ( Sound very nice) any how I know that my Car stereo is freaken old but my GF wants me to hold out untill we get married to purchase another stereo so I have to do with what I have, LOL

Thread Information