Who here has a Zune???

Printable View

• 03-01-2007, 04:35 PM
    N. Abstentia
    Who here has a Zune???
    I'm looking at the Zune and the 60gb Creative Zen since they are about the same price. I'm leaning towards the Zune even though it's only 30 gigs but I figure 30 gigs is plenty just for music.

But anyway, here's my main question. I don't 'buy' music online, all my music comes from my ripped CD's. With the Zune, does it simply work as easily as plugging in the USB then copying the music files to it? This is how my 2gb Sansa works and I love that :)
  • 03-01-2007, 08:02 PM
    emorphien
    I think that's how my friend does it but I'd have to ask him. I don't think it's terribly complicated or anything.

The Zune is pretty damn nice.
  • 03-01-2007, 08:23 PM
    N. Abstentia
    Cool. I'm not really so much worried about it being complicated to use some kind of syncing software, It's just that I don't WANT to :)

I've already got everything ripped to MP3 with the cover art, I don't give a hoot about playlists, I don't buy MP3's online, all my CD's are already oganized...I just want to pick an album and play it!
  • 03-01-2007, 09:44 PM
    emorphien
    Well you do need the Zune software to sync the Zune I think.
  • 03-02-2007, 06:57 AM
    audio_dude
    WHY would you want a zune??

its microsofts poor entry to try to kill the iPod... not gonna happen.

i'm not trying to be an apple fanboy (i'm a linux fanboy :P) but the iPod is a much better player in general. Its smaller than the zune, MUCH better software, much better UI.

The zen is a nice player, but i find it very unwieldy and bulky. The controls are also very counter-intuitive.
  • 03-02-2007, 07:05 AM
    emorphien
    Please, the iPod has been dead a long time depending on the kinds of features you want. As far as I'm concerned my iRiver IHP-120 killed it 3.5 years ago when I got it, and there's still no iPod with comparable features.

Software and UI on the Zune are very nice, personally I think the ranting and raving about the iPod is exaggerated. A lot.
  • 03-02-2007, 02:24 PM
    bubbagump
    The Trekstor Vibez beats both..
    Goofy name but for the audiophiles out there, the Vibez is the way to go. It doesn't have the capacity of the Zune or full size iPod but is worthy in every other way. It's more or less the successor to the late, great Rio Karma. If you've ever owned anything from Rio, you'll immediately recognize and appreciate the funtionality. It's even less expensive. The iPod is a nice machine but it's morphed into something other than a great audio player. I have no experience with the Zune but it's larger than what I think a portable audio player should be. Another poster recommended iRiver product which I agree with checking out. Cowan is also good and until the Vibez was released, was where a lot of Rio people went after Rio went under.
  • 03-03-2007, 08:13 AM
    thomasward00
    I have a Zune, Xenos portable amp and Grado SR 60's The Zune rocks!
  • 03-03-2007, 08:17 AM
    thomasward00
    I've had 4 Ipods die within a 2 year time period, the zune is a superior product. Microsoft has enough money to grind things out with the Zune platform until the IPod is no longer dominant. I used to be a mac user a few years back, then I stopped sipping the apple kool aid, the present and future integration with Zune, 360 and Vista will be awesome, and Dominant. Just a matter of time.....
  • 03-03-2007, 12:19 PM
    audio_dude
    Microsoft MUST keep apple alive as a company simply because they need "competition" in the computer market, they'd get too many antitrust suits if they kill apple.

btw, the iPod will never die, the zune is NOT a better product, its all personal preference...
    you are a microsoft and zune fanboy, just go tell bill i hate windows (I use linux!)
  • 03-03-2007, 02:43 PM
    emorphien
    Quote:

Originally Posted by audio_dude
    btw, the iPod will never die, the zune is NOT a better product, its all personal preference...
    you are a microsoft and zune fanboy, just go tell bill i hate windows (I use linux!)

The Zune is not a worse product either, don't go casting fanboy unless you can show you're not guilty yourself. I own none of the above and don't draw much preference. To me the Zune and iPod are fairly similar in the end, and I won't personally be buying either any time soon.
  • 03-03-2007, 05:16 PM
    cedman1
    Like them both prefer my Zune
    I have the Nano 2GB and the Zune. For the Nano I use AAC encoding and for the Zune I use a high bit-rate WMA encoding. The are both nice players however I find myself using the Zune more lately. As for the software iTunes is a little more straight forward but the zune will play the AAC files as well as the podcast.

My current preferred setup is Zune + Grado 60's
  • 03-03-2007, 08:11 PM
    audio_dude
    yes, i agree that the zune is a decent music player, as is the iPod... but it really is all in personal preference. actually, if I could go back and re-buy my first MP3 player, i probably would have bought a Rio Karma or something.

oh well, i've just grown to love the iPod, sure they may break, and even steve himself stated that he wants us to upgrade our iPod every 18 months or so. But still, even after that, i still love it.

i'm not saying the Zune is bad at all, i've never tried it so i will not claim to know. but for someone who JUST joined the forum to randomly spit out some massive piece of zune/microsoft fanboyism is just...
  • 03-09-2007, 10:48 PM
    Finally someone who speaks the truth
    Quote:

Microsoft MUST keep apple alive as a company simply because they need "competition" in the computer market, they'd get too many antitrust suits if they kill apple.

Just look up the reviews that compare the Zune with the iPod (not the 2Gb version, the 30Gb one), and most of these will tout the iPod over the Zune for many reasons (size, weight, copyright restrictions, battery life, the list goes on). The Zune is a fine attempt for a ver1.0, but just like Windows, it will take a few versions before it's a competitive product. In the computer industry, we all know to avoid ver1.0 of anything, like the plague. Let others be the beta testers, and buy yourself a mature product like the iPod, you'll probably be a whole lot happier.

And just for the record, I'm a Rio owner and Linux user. If I'd have a need for a new MP3 player, and the Linux port to the iPort was better, I'd buy an iPod. Unfortunately my company doesn't see things that way, so I'm still forced to use Windows & MacOS at work.
  • 03-10-2007, 11:19 AM
    audio_dude
    yay, another linux lover!

Agreed, always avoid version 1 of ANYTHING in technology... and NEVER EVER EVER EVER! use a v.1 from microsoft... its just a nono
  • 03-10-2007, 10:32 PM
    N. Abstentia
    Quote:

WHY would you want a zune??

Mainly because every iPod I've ever had has been a pile of crap and I hate iTunes. PLUS, an iPod can't play any of my WMA files. That's crazy.

I went ahead with the Zune, I've had it about a week (I forgot my post here asking about the Zune!)..I love the Zune. This baby is sweet. I'll never have another iPod. The Zune software works great, which surprised me. Very intuitive.
  • 03-11-2007, 08:16 AM
    audio_dude
    well, thats good that you like it.

Personally i don't, but thats my opinion. Enjoy.
  • 03-11-2007, 06:20 PM
    N. Abstentia
    Oh I almost forgot....there's not an iPod that has an FM radio tuner in it. Apple charges how much for that thing??? :)

Just curious....what exactly don't you like about the Zune....other than it's a Microsoft product? It does everything the iPod does plus plays WMA files and FM radio, and has a bigger screen. What's not to love?
  • 03-12-2007, 11:41 AM
    emorphien
    Quote:

Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    ...other than it's a Microsoft product?

I think you've stumbled across the reason.

I'm sure he'd be shocked to learn that I really like vista.
  • 03-12-2007, 02:11 PM
    N. Abstentia
    Must suck to be a Microsoft h8er :)

Meanwhile I'll kick back with my Windows computers, Xbox 360, and Zune. Enjoy your Mac, iPod, and....uhh....Newton!
  • 03-12-2007, 06:39 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    Quote:

Must suck to be a Microsoft h8er :)

No, not really.
  • 03-13-2007, 12:17 PM
    audio_dude
    never owned a mac, newton or anything...

I'm an opensource, linux guy. Even my gaming system is open source! http://gp2x.co.uk/go.pl?A134 The GP2x, its great.

Microsoft has made a business of taking ideas of others, changing them a bit, making them flashy then putting a big fat MICROSOFT logo on it. (oh yeah, and a big fat price tag)

Yes, i do use windows XP for gaming. but the only thing i like from apple is the iPod.

I don't really hate microsoft, i just don't agree with them, so i use alternatives.

And i don't really have anything against the zune, just the fact that its microsoft ripoff of the iPod... like I said before. (oh look, a circular control pad!)
  • 03-13-2007, 12:18 PM
    Ask and ye shall receive
    Quote:

Just curious....what exactly don't you like about the Zune....other than it's a Microsoft product? It does everything the iPod does plus plays WMA files and FM radio, and has a bigger screen. What's not to love?

Here you go:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Hom...974628809.html,

and it's well researched too. If that's not enough, just do a Google search for more - there's a whole lot out there.
  • 03-13-2007, 12:35 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    LOL.
    Quote:

Well no, it doesn't have a clickwheel, just a round button designed to look like one. That means there's no circular input to spin through long lists of songs.
    This one just kills me. Do you know how many people are going to try to spin through songs incorrectly before they defenestrate?

I also enjoyed myth #10 and its accompanying pic:
    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Images/zune.jpg
  • 03-13-2007, 04:19 PM
    N. Abstentia
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nightflier
    Here you go:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Hom...974628809.html,

and it's well researched too. If that's not enough, just do a Google search for more - there's a whole lot out there.

Again, it must really suck to be a Microsoft h8er (not calling YOU that, NF..just making a statement). Not sure what iPod fanboi made that site, but after having a Zune for 3 days I've already proved most of their statements wrong (of course I can't prove the ones that are theory's ). But my Zune plays podcasts, movies, audiobooks, and everything else they said it can't do. Methinks whoever made that site has never even seen a Zune! This type of thinking is another reason I dislike iPods and their fanbois.