Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    So you're saying it does have that iPod interface, where you can spin your finger in a circle to cycle through selections? 'cause everyone I know who has an iPod (I don't) says that the main reason they prefer the iPod (this was before the Zune came out) was because of the interface. So they either do not have the interface, or they copied it from the iPod. Neither of which is a good thing.

I'm not a "blind" Microsoft hater, but I keep getting new reasons to hate them all over again. My hate is well thought out.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    It doesn't have the scrolly thingy, and it doesn't need it. The scrolly thingy is overrated.

No the Zune wheel does not spin, it works like a D-pad. My 15 year old JVC VCR does have a spin wheel though that jogs through the video, so it's hardly anything new. Imagine that...Apple stealing someone else's design!

Does the iPod's scroll wheel also scroll through FM radio stations? OH...sorry. I forgot the lack of an FM tuner in the iPod. Oops!
    Last edited by N. Abstentia; 03-13-2007 at 07:03 PM.

LOL -- you mean you actually (a) have a station worth listening to, and (b) have more than one, so you actually need to change stations?
    Quote Originally Posted by emorphien
    It doesn't have the scrolly thingy, and it doesn't need it. The scrolly thingy is overrated.
    I just told you that's what everyone I know who owns an iPod loves about it.

The JVC VCR thing is different. You twist it, it's not a touchpad. Sony had that too. I do, however, have a laserdisc player that has something analogous to that spinny scrolly thingy.

Don't get me wrong, the scrolly thingy isn't the best thing since sliced bread -- jeez, we're talking about a little gadget here that's about as expensive as a cell phone. I make fun of iPod users all the time: (stares down at navel, mimes the little finger spinny scrolly movement that instantly identifies all iPod users everywhere) See? I can even do it in ASCII. I'm just saying, it must be pretty frustrating making a device that's not as good and about 5 years too late, and wondering why one isn't instantly dominating the market.

Woo-hoo, it's got the Microsoft name behind it -- that's a reason not to get it. Kind of reverse branding, if you will.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    I make fun of iPod users all the time: (stares down at navel, mimes the little finger spinny scrolly movement that instantly identifies all iPod users everywhere) See? I can even do it in ASCII. I'm just saying, it must be pretty frustrating making a device that's not as good and about 5 years too late, and wondering why one isn't instantly dominating the market.
    iPod users are just so easy to make fun of, aren't they?

But I totally disagree with your other statement....especially about the Zune not being as good. Not as popular maybe (yet), but not as good? No. Worst case is they pretty much work the same. They play music. They play videos. But the Zune adds a bigger screen, WMA support, wireless sharing (which will be expanded on in the future to include other wireless access), and better software if any of that matters.

And with the Microsoft name behind it, let's not forget who actually funds Apple to keep them in business. Ahh yes...Microsoft (that must really make Zune h8ers puke). Plus you know for a fact that Microsoft does not care about money. They don't care if they lose 8 billion dollars on the Zune, they will just continue to add features and making it better.

Also, let's not forget that people were saying similar things about the Xbox when it came out years ago...too late, too big, it's Microsoft, it's not Sony so it sucks. Now who's the dominant player in the game console world? Hmmmmmm.....

I love that when people run out of ideas for a legitimate argument they just say something "isn't as good."

LOL

this is hilarious.

Microsoft HAS to fund apple or they'll fall as a company to many antitrust suits. Guys, sure the zune has a bigger screen... AT THE SAME RESOLUTION, so its just blockier... great...
    oh, and yes, with the little apple radio remote, you CAN scroll through stations with the wheel... *sticks out tongue*

it also seems really akward to have to put your hand so far down on the player to use the controls, seems like it would fall.

Quote Originally Posted by audio_dude
    Microsoft HAS to fund apple or they'll fall as a company to many antitrust suits. Guys, sure the zune has a bigger screen... AT THE SAME RESOLUTION, so its just blockier... great...
    Use one. The screen is indeed a lower pixel density screen than on the iPod, but it causes less eye fatigue than the iPod screen because you don't need to hold it as close to your face. At close viewing distances, just a couple inches further away can provide much lower eyestrain.

You can make circular arguments (pun intended) all you want about the control system. Personally neither the Zune nor the iPod has the best control interface (nor does my old iHP-120 for that matter). Just please try to avoid parroting stupid complaints about "oh the screen is the same resolutions" because there are still benefits to it that a smaller screen can't touch. Should it have been higher resolution? I wish it were, but it isn't and just as well for MS because even though the sum of the whole in hardware and performance might be greater than the iPod is (and I believe it is, like some other players), it's not going to sell for more than the iPod because the general public believes all should be judged against the iPod. Putting in a higher resolution screen would just lose MS more money and based on those who are using (and not just bashing) both players, the fact that it isn't higher resolution isn't a big deal.

nightflier

If I could pick on a couple of Zune "features"...

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    But the Zune adds a bigger screen, WMA support, wireless sharing (which will be expanded on in the future to include other wireless access), and better software if any of that matters.
    The wireless sharing "feature" seems to be the one that Microsoft is most proud of, but it it the one feature that irks the most people. For every file that you share that way, the Zune adds DRM to it. Now think of this for a second, if you write your own music or have a public-domain file, and specifically intend for it to be distributed publicly, then the Zune still adds DRM to it. To me this is just a few clicks shy of a virus and I'm not even sure of the legality behind this "feature" when sharing public-domain files.

To top it off, the Zune won't work with Microsoft's own download format. How moronic is that? That would be like an iPod that won't work with iTunes. Now I'm sure Microsoft did this because it couldn't come to an agreement with the RIAA in time to launch the Zune before x-mas, and I'm sure they will fix it in the future. Yet, this goes right along with my comments about NOT buying a ver1.0 of anything.

If you consider all the other gripes people have with it and the fact that it's selling used for far less than the iPods (as a percentage of MSRP), it becomes clear that the Zune promised far more than it delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    The wireless sharing "feature" seems to be the one that Microsoft is most proud of, but it it the one feature that irks the most people. For every file that you share that way, the Zune adds DRM to it. Now think of this for a second, if you write your own music or have a public-domain file, and specifically intend for it to be distributed publicly, then the Zune still adds DRM to it.

To top it off, the Zune won't work with Microsoft's own download format. How moronic is that?

If you consider all the other gripes people have with it and the fact that it's selling used for far less than the iPods (as a percentage of MSRP), it becomes clear that the Zune promised far more than it delivered.
    1) Meh. Not a concern for me. I don't plan to wirelessly share anything, but I'm looking forward to the future wireless capabilities such as streaming to my Xbox and such. Besides, even if the Zunes wireless were crappy it's still light years ahead of the iPod's wireless...which is non-existent. At least Microsoft is adding something new and useful.

2) Don't know who told you that, but they're clueless. I haven't had a single problem with it. Maybe you should actually use a Zune so you can see?

3) All they promised was an improved iPod that costs less. So far I'd say they knocked it out of the park.

Forum Regular

it also seems really akward to have to put your hand so far down on the player to use the controls, seems like it would fall.

Ok that was the stupidest thing i have herd......what do you have really week hands?

I have a zune, no problems for me.......I have used the wireless sharing.......not that exciting. I use the zune pass where u can download as many songs as you want, but only to your zune. Works out fine

LOL

sure the zune has a bigger screen... AT THE SAME RESOLUTION, so its just blockier... great...
    So when given the choice of a 14" TV running 1080p and a 42" TV running 1080p you always choose the 14"? That's real smart.

Why do you pic 1080p? Of course 42" is superior for a 1080p resolution most of the time, but pic something in between, like 480p. 42" isn't always the superior choice -- what if you're talking about a computer monitor...oh, alright, yes, I would love a 42" monitor, but most people would want something more realistic.

Don't bring the XBox into this -- that's an entirely different argument with an entirely different company, and I have no argument that the XBox is a superior product than the PS3. That doesn't extrapolate to the iPod debate.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Okay, 720p then. 480p. Don't matter...why would you ever choose the smaller screen assuming that the actual casings were the same size? That's something a stupid person would do. Makes no sense. Of course these are iPod fanboys we're dealing with

thats a HUGE exageration, thats like picking a 42" TV and a 50" TV... which would you rather have?

oh, and for the 14" one, i'd rather have that if I was sitting right up near it... neck strain galore for a 42" a foot away...

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Okay, 720p then. 480p. Don't matter...why would you ever choose the smaller screen assuming that the actual casings were the same size? That's something a stupid person would do.
    You obviously haven't seen 480p on a 42" screen -- looks like dookie.

And you're getting out of hand with that "stupid", stupid.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

and N. Abstentia... the Zune case is much larger than the 30gig iPods...
    and Dusty, i've seen what they are calling "EDTV" on a 42 incher...
    (its basically 480p, with more vertical lines to fill in the widescreen portion)
    true 4:3 480p looks distorted and wide if the same rez is used on a widescreen plasma.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    You obviously haven't seen 480p on a 42" screen -- looks like dookie.

And you're getting out of hand with that "stupid"
    If the shoe fits.....

I can't think of a better word to describe what I'm seeing in my mind.

and N. Abstentia... the Zune case is much larger than the 30gig iPods...
    Well the Zune does have a much bigger and clearer screen, so I guess that's why. And the case is not really that much bigger....you make it sound like it's as big as a brick. It's like 3mm bigger. But once you see that sweet Zune screen and feel the solidness of the construction of the Zune, you don't think about that 3mm.

HERE'S how big ur stinkin zune is compared to an iPod: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-...pod-212722.php
    and why would you say the zune is any sturdier than an iPod... isn't it made of plastic anyway?

Errrrr....eeeyeah. Thanks for that link, it just proved what I said to be right. Zune = 4.4 inches, iPod = 4.1 inches. So mine is indeed bigger than yours. It's pretty dang impressive that they packed in wireless, a bigger screen, better sound quality, longer battery life, and better file support all in a package only .000004 inches bigger than an iPod. Thanks for that info!

Next?

HERE'S how big ur stinkin zune is compared to an iPod: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-...pod-212722.php
    and why would you say the zune is any sturdier than an iPod... isn't it made of plastic anyway?
    All of a sudden plastic isn't sturdy? That argument is ill informed and old. It's about the design of the device more than the material. Apple made the powerbooks out of titanium at one point and those were among the most frail laptops I've ever dealt with. Dell has made many laptops out of plastic and some just fall apart while others were quite rugged. Thinkpads are made out of metal & plastic and are pretty much universally more rugged than an Apple laptop or any Dell. In fact the iBooks (don't know about the new Macbooks) were more rugged in my experience than the powerbooks were. The plastic cases withstood more shock and abuse.

no no no, i'm just making a point...

but who cares about the wireless?? what can you do? send some DRM dead song over to someone else... great.

And where are you pulling these claims of better sound quality and longer battery life out of??

oh and N. Abstentia, that extra .3 inches was so microsoft could PUT that bigger screen in.
    And WHAT better file support... it doesn't even support microsoft's own "Play's for Sure" format... how bad is that? oh, and it doesn't support WMA lossless too.
    The iPod supports a perfect amount of file formats, even without FLAC

Okay, so what have we determined here...let's see..according to audio_dude, an elitest jerk, (even though his only speakers appear to be $149 entry level Paradigm Atoms) the Zune does everything an iPod does except the Zune adds wireless, a bigger screen, WMA support, and it costs less.

So..what are we arguing here?

I don't get why so much effort is being wasted to berate the zune (for no reason and using a lot of stupid incorrect factoids). If you really want to brag about how great you think the iPod is, go find an iPod forum and pat yourself on the back there because they probably care!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information