Forum Regular

GOT IT! (I think)

Well, I started the thread "working around crap mp3 sound". I may have figured it out, but don't have a stereo available to check right now. Go into your iTunes library, and uncheck mark all your songs. Right click on a song and a list comes up. Pick "create WAV version". It will duplicate the new one right under the original. Delete the original, and the ones are check marked that you've converted so you don't lose your spot. It duplicates the song in a few seconds. I checked my GB count before and after converting a song, and the GB count does go up, so it is uncompressed(decompressed, whatever word that would be?). Whether or not the songs sound original or better, I'll have to wait and see...Hope it helps!

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    If you convert crap mp3 to .WAV, all you accomplish is creating crap .WAV and taking up more space. You can't polish a turd.

You need to start from CD or a lossless file. MP3 is lossy compression that allows you to select various degrees of loss.

Forum Regular

Unhappy

Yeah, I got thinking about that after the initial excitement wore off. Damn it. Anybody have every single cd that I like now and in the future for $0.99 a piece?

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    That's what I was trying to tell you. It'll be alot of work to re-rip your library, but well worth it once it's done.

Hey man, I just hand cleaned approx 500 LP's. Hard? Yep. Took forever? Oh ya! Happy I did it with a renewed pride of ownership and full listening enjoyment? Hells yes!!!!

Forum Regular
    Yeah, looks like no other choice. I guess since this problem is fairly new to me, and you guys have been discussing this for a long time, I suppose i'm not going to reinvent the wheel huh? You cleaned 500 LP's? Sounds like torture, but I guess it has to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by farfromphile
    Yeah, I got thinking about that after the initial excitement wore off. Damn it. Anybody have every single cd that I like now and in the future for $0.99 a piece?
    I did tell you about it in your original thread. It isn't about experience: it's about listening to what you're told.

But I'll say it again for emphasis. The only compressed formats from which you can create a WAV file of CD quality, are lossless formats, (such as FLAC, Apple Lossless, APE). MP3 and M4A (AAC) are call lossy formats because you loose sound information when create them. You can't get something for nothing: you can make an uncompressed WAV from a lossy format, but you can't magically get any more information from the lossy file than what contains.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    When you're ready to re-rip your collection be sure to ask for advice. Not all rippers are created equal. A couple issues to consider
    • OS of your system and what music player you plan to use
    • How the ripper checks for errors or rips poor quality CDs
    • How the ripper handles metadata tags

Ripping 100s of CDs is time consuming. You want to do it right the first time. With a few questions and answers, you can.

So what is the best ripper and music player for a computer?
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    That's a tough question. I have been using the Creative software that came with my card. It's quick and tags everything nicely. Is it the best? I have no idea. As far as a player goes, again, been using my Creative player to take advantage of my remote control.

I would be between VLC or WinAmp. Both have incredible shuffle modes which ranks high for me. WinAmp really dials in a nice sound, VLC is compact and efficient...

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    On the Windows platform a popular choice among audiophiles is J. River Media Jukebox, HERE, free, or J. River Media Center for a few bucks.

For me, its ...
    • Ripper: dBpoweramp, a few bucks for the 'Reference' version which I recommend; also best for format conversion
    • Player: Foobar2000, free, because of addins and also customization of the UI -- which might be more that necessary for many people

Thread Information