Thread: What do I need?

Forum Regular

What do I need?

I am new at this so overlook any goofs. I purchased a pair of AKG 701 headphones. I have intended to play them thru my Rotel preamp which has a special circuit built in for headphones. Butr I have been told that I might need a headset pre amp as the Rotel is not sufficient to get the best out of the headphones. I hate to spend much more at this time. Any comments=== or suggestions on the preamp I would need? Thanks for sny help. Jsck B. North

Have you tried them yet?

Try that first, then worry about it. You may be getting all worked up over nothing.

Too much reading and not enough listening can cause problems. It leads to an incurable disease called "Audio Nervosa".

Forum Regular
    Markw: I like that advice. Sounds just like my wife. But if you were to select a hp amp for the AKG 701 which would it be? Jackson

Maybe I'm blessed by using an ancient Mrantz 2270 for my main hp amp, but if I had to consider a standalone amp might consider one of these. Not that I've had any experience with these, butthy look interesting.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...eadphone%20Amp

You might want to check out other offerings at that site. They are a good place to deal with and they have a fair return policy.

If you want to dance with the devil in the deep moonlight, you might want to explore these sites as well:

http://www.head-fi.org/ or http://www.headphone.com/

good luck...

Santa Claus
    Quote Originally Posted by JNorth1178
    I am new at this so overlook any goofs. I purchased a pair of AKG 701 headphones. I have intended to play them thru my Rotel preamp which has a special circuit built in for headphones. Butr I have been told that I might need a headset pre amp as the Rotel is not sufficient to get the best out of the headphones. I hate to spend much more at this time. Any comments=== or suggestions on the preamp I would need? Thanks for sny help. Jsck B. North
    Those headphones you have are very good.I was eyeing them myself.However,they need at least 100 hours if not more for them to reach their potentail.My advice is use what you have until their fully broken-in and go from there.

Thread Information