Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    The soundstage is amazing at this point. The sound also seems more together, smoother, and has more flow. Bass is punchier and while working today, several times, I've stopped and listened and thought....oh that sounds cool. I'm going to take it all home tonight and play CDs though it, maybe some vinyl.
    Glad to hear it!

Not to go off topic, but I'm about ready to drop some change on a new cart. Seems my old Shure V15 type III is non-salvagable. I see that your using the Shure 97xE, and that's one of the carts that is on my short list. If you've got a recommendation for it let me know.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Glad to hear it!

Not to go off topic, but I'm about ready to drop some change on a new cart. Seems my old Shure V15 type III is non-salvagable. I see that your using the Shure 97xE, and that's one of the carts that is on my short list. If you've got a recommendation for it let me know.
    I wish I could say I'd recommend it, but it is something I'm about to upgrade I fear. Though I'm going to post in the vinyl room some of my issues. But quickly enough, combined with my gear, over all, it all seems a bit warm and like there isn't enough headroom and dynamics.

But i'm about to start a thread on this to get some opinions.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Glad to hear it!

Ortofon 2M Red or Blue

Yep - I did some box hunting today at the office and will do my best to pack it up tonight. Otherwise off the the box store.
    Saaweeeeeeeeeeeetttt!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Ortofon 2M Red or Blue
    what about this one http://www.needledoctor.com/Ortofon-HMC20-Cartridge

Looks like it could be a contender, but I think more for your rig than mine. My rumbly old Marantz just ain't going to do it justice.

Right now I can get a Shure 97xE delivered to my door for about $60. On a TT that's worth about $100 that makes sense to me. Plus there's the condition of my 30 year old vinyl to consider. None of which was "audiophile" grade even when it was new. Did they even make a 180 gram pressing of "Deep Purple's Greatest hits" anyway?! HA!!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Looks like it could be a contender, but I think more for your rig than mine. My rumbly old Marantz just ain't going to do it justice.

Right now I can get a Shure 97xE delivered to my door for about $60. On a TT that's worth about $100 that makes sense to me. Plus there's the condition of my 30 year old vinyl to consider. None of which was "audiophile" grade even when it was new. Did they even make a 180 gram pressing of "Deep Purple's Greatest hits" anyway?! HA!!

Oh - yeah - sorry - I meant for me.

I had a tt back in the 80's. I knew nothing about 180 grams back then and dont now....so what is that any ways.

frenchmon
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

How often do you have to change needles on a TT these days?

frenchmon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    How often do you have to change needles on a TT these days?

frenchmon
    Every hundred thousand miles isn't it? That is what my Scion says at least.

Every hundred thousand miles isn't it? That is what my Scion says at least.
    lol...I didn't know you changed needles on a Scion.

Forgive my ignorance but do they still call them needles these days?

frenchmon

lol...I didn't know you changed needles on a Scion.

Forgive my ignorance but do they still call them needles these days?

frenchmon
    I'm not expert on what things are called - I was just making fun the changing things on cars and turntables. Saw an importunity, and took it.

I had a tt back in the 80's. I knew nothing about 180 grams back then and dont now....so what is that any ways.

frenchmon
    Back in the day I never really thought about "designer vinyl" either. Now you can get specially pressed high quality records. Think about it like a coin. There's the regular grade for circulation, and what's called a "Proof" version of the same coin that's pressed with extra care and force to make it as perfect as possible. 180g and 200g vinyl pressings are the record equivalent.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

frenchmon

Here's a conversation that Adam and I had a while ago, might answer a couple things for you Frenchy. Of course, there's alot of opinion mixed in...

OPL CD crawl on hold while I do the OPL LP crawl

Ajani
    Well - they were at the office. So I left the computer on, and KingRex Headquarters Amp and the headphones. We have servers running 24/7 so why not a headphone amp. Put them a bit out of the way as to not bother anyone in the office last week.

The soundstage is amazing at this point. The sound also seems more together, smoother, and has more flow. Bass is punchier and while working today, several times, I've stopped and listened and thought....oh that sounds cool. I'm going to take it all home tonight and play CDs though it, maybe some vinyl.
    Sorry to interupt the vinyl discussion guys

Adam, Congrats on the decision to try out some headphones.... even if you don't use them as your main source, they are definitely useful for late night listening sessions...

So have you had a chance to listen to the phones at home yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Sorry to interupt the vinyl discussion guys

Adam, Congrats on the decision to try out some headphones.... even if you don't use them as your main source, they are definitely useful for late night listening sessions...

So have you had a chance to listen to the phones at home yet?

Yep - Plugged into the AVA Omega III I dropped The Wall into my CD player last night and went for a little ride. So far I can say they are detailed, dynamic, huge soundstage, and can handle the complex music. Sound stage doesn't collapse when music gets complex and detail never seemed to suffer. One thing, bass. I'm not sure if either it just don't rock it like I'd like or if it does hold back except for those moments when it really needs to pump it. Tom drum rolls sound FANTASTIC!!!!! And really heavy bass albums I have don't blow it out but don't rumble the ears either. Maybe that is a good thing.

Ajani
    Yep - Plugged into the AVA Omega III I dropped The Wall into my CD player last night and went for a little ride. So far I can say they are detailed, dynamic, huge soundstage, and can handle the complex music. Sound stage doesn't collapse when music gets complex and detail never seemed to suffer. One thing, bass. I'm not sure if either it just don't rock it like I'd like or if it does hold back except for those moments when it really needs to pump it. Tom drum rolls sound FANTASTIC!!!!! And really heavy bass albums I have don't blow it out but don't rumble the ears either. Maybe that is a good thing.
    I find it to have very well controlled bass... which may or may not be a good thing depending on your listening preferences...

Also, this article by Sean Olive gives a pretty good explanation of why headphone bass is normally seen as deficient compared to speakers:

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/

Basically, the lack of physical impact (whole-body vibrations) means you need to turn up the bass on headphones a few decibels to give the same effect as speakers... so a flat frequency response will likely be perceived as lacking in bass for headphones...

One thing, bass. I'm not sure if either it just don't rock it like I'd like or if it does hold back except for those moments when it really needs to pump it. Tom drum rolls sound FANTASTIC!!!!! And really heavy bass albums I have don't blow it out but don't rumble the ears either. Maybe that is a good thing.

Adam, I don't know what your preference is for bass in your home system. Not sure what exposure you've had to cans either. AKG's across the board have a very natural bass response. It's never boomy or big. As a bass guitar player, this is why I love them so much. I absolutely cherish the sound of my K240's for their awesome bass tone.

Just today, I had on "The Payback" by James Brown. This is a bass heavy album. The horns add quite a rumble when pumping in time with the rhythm section too. My AKG's conveyed everything perfectly. Detailed, present and bright. Again, never boomy or over baring.

Next time you're listening, try to appreciate the good points to your 701's bass presentation Adam. Sounds like it's something that's just different for your ears, and you may need to adjust to.

My suggestion? Throw on some Massive Attack and have a good listen with your cans. They'll deliver that life giving, natural bass that's never fatiguing and has you wanting more...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information