Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

iPod/MP3 player question

Okay, I think I've finally decided to buy an MP3 player. I was looking at 60gb hard drive players first, so I could transfer my entire collection to it but I think I've decided to go opposite and get a smaller at least 2gb flash player for cost and reliability reasons.

So I'm looking at Best Buy...because I have a Best Buy credit card with 6 months free financing and the main ones I liked are the Sandisk Sansa 2gb and of course the iPod 2gb dealie.

My main concern in flash player is this...I want to plug it into a USB port and copy my files to it, then play them. That simple. I don't want any other software involved. Can the iPod work like this, or does it have to use iTunes?

Anybody have the Sandisk Sansa? It says it works like this, but I'd like to hear from a user here. I'm already leaning towards the Sansa because it's cheaper, it's not Apple, and the iPod does not play WMA files which is a deal killer unless I hear something that negates that. I don't want to re-rip as MP3, but I can if needed. Since it's only 2gb I will only need to rip a little anyway.

The one question I can answer for you is the iPod ONLY works with iTunes.

Not sure about the Sandisk players. But my boss has a small Samsung 1GB flash player that sounded real good. There is also a 2GB version as well. The other nice thing is they run on 1 AA battery. Not sure the price on the 2GB but the 1GB version is only 99.00.

Thanks anamorphic, that kind of rules out the iPod for me..which I didn't really want anyway

Looks like the only Samsung players Best Buy has are the 512kb players and the 1 gb Yepp which is $30 more than the 2gb Sandisk. I'll be going to the store to get it though, so they might have more available there.

You reminded me of another think I liked about the Sandisk player, it runs off of 1 AAA battery. A rechargeable battery like the iPod is okay, but for $6 I can get FOUR rechargeable batteries

Why is using mp3 sofware like iTunes such a dealbreaker? I'm quite the opposite, where I wouldn't want a player where I couldn't control or organize my music. I think iTunes is an asset not a detraction.

The main reason I don't want to use iTunes is because I want to be able to transfer my music from any computer on my network at any time. I don't want to have to install some software package on every computer I touch. I don't really care about playlists or downloading music, and I don't want my music to go through any type of 'conversion' or anything like that. I just want to pick out a handful of albums from my audio server and drop them on the player.

But if I HAD to use iTunes I could probably get used to it, assuming it doesn't do any type of downcoversion during the uploads. However there are just too many reasons I don't want an iPod...it can't play WMA files (I don't have one single MP3), it can't play WAV files, and it does not have an FM tuner like the Sandisk.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I thought the new Ipods were compatible with wav and MP3 now? Does this mean they convert all these other formats in iTunes or whatever?

I got the lovely Mrs w a sandisk 1 gig for Christmas.

You don't need so steeenking Ipod interface. You can "click and drag" directly from a CD but you most lilely will want to use WMP as an intemediary to load stuff to folders in yer 'puter and then dran the whole folder to the player. ...at least this is what she tells me.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I thought the new Ipods were compatible with wav and MP3 now? Does this mean they convert all these other formats in iTunes or whatever?
    iTunes is not a format, just a program to rip, burn, store, and manage digital music. It will convert your CDs into whatever format you want: ACC, AIF, Apple Lossless, mp3 of coursee, and WAV.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I'm in the same boat you are. The Samsung was my leading candidate but Sandisk is an intriguing option because it has an SD card slot. My Camera uses the SD card and what is great bout such a device is that it is upgradable and you can simply switch in a new card for different music. The Sandisk E130 is something like $99.00Cad. Whcih is considerably cheaper than an Apple - plus you get a 5 line digital display and FM tuner.

What I really like though is that you are not stuck with a rechargeable battery -- if you go camping or are on the go you can just take out the AAA and put in another one -- recharging si such a pain in the ass.

The thing looks like it is just what you need "The player shows up as a USB mass storage device on Windows and so it's easy to mount and drag-and-drop files in it. You can use the device as a way to transfer files to other computers, not just as a music player & FM Radio."

These things look to be very good and very cheap.
    http://www.livedigitally.com/?p=277

I am leaning toward this myself. As for mass storage I purchased a Samsung 250gig hard drive so I can record all my music in lossless format. Then I can use the Sandisk (when i get one) for on the go MP3 music. Combined this is far cheaper than the Apple 60gig unit.
    Last edited by RGA; 02-14-2006 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks for all the replies guys, my Sandisk Sansa 2gb player arrived today and I am VERY impressed with it. This is the one I ordered:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1118844780039

I took it out of the box, put a battery in it, plugged in the USB cable, copied some files over, and it was ready to go. In about 10 minutes I had 21 full CD's on it (which filled it up, all are 192k WMA files). I ripped some MP3 files also, but the WMA's sounded much better so I'll be sticking with that. Even the little ear buds sound pretty good, but this little baby sounds phenomenal through my Sennheisers. It sounds as good as any portable CD player. I may treat myself to some high end earbuds next

But so far on the Sandisk Sansa...HUGE thumbs up. I've found nothing negative about it yet, and having an FM tuner is a nice plus. The display is simple and to the point, the menu is simple to understand....I guess the whole thing just works like you think it should is the best way to put it.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Congrats.

I bought the one I posted to you which is a 512mb version with a different look. I have yet to try it out but I've had good luck with a Sandisc flash drive so the choice was pretty easy.

I just don't know what else you would want from a digital music player, this little Sandisc is just killer. I take it with me everywhere! Of course you can spend more and get more storage or a color screen, but for a meat & potatoes player I just don't see why anyone would buy an iPod instead of a Sandisk.

Next up...some high quality in-earphones. Looking at Sennheiser and Shure. Maybe a seperate post is in order...

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    I just don't see why anyone would buy an iPod instead of a Sandisk.
    The same reason people wear reeboks and Nike's instead of lower priced generics of equal quality. The same reason you see "Tommy Hilfiger" or "DKNY" on otherwise standard clothing. The name is more important than the function they perform

It's a status/name recognition thing. "Ipod" is "in" and it wouldn't surprise me if it (the mame) became a generic term like asprin. xerox, coke, etc...
    Last edited by markw; 02-21-2006 at 10:43 AM.

People buy apple because it's an excellent product. I've used a lot of stuff, and apple products are by far the most easy and fun to use, reliable, and well designed. iTunes is a great program, super flexible and reliable. It just works everytime, and any idiot can figure it out. I can't understand why anyone would use Windows Media player to interact with an mp3 player, it's one of the most obnoxious, clunky,a nd nreliable pieces of software that I've ever seen. The software you use to interact with your player really makes or breaks the player, IMHO.

e

I don't know about Windows Media Player as far as transferring files, but the Sansa couldn't be easier to transfer files to. Copy, paste, done. Drag & drop. I found the iPod no easier to use than the Sandisk (about the same) but when I saw that the iPods do not support WMA or WAV files I couldn't put it down quick enough. Then I read that you can't even put another battery in an iPod? My iPod experience just left me wondering why people still buy iPods which cost quite a bit more than players that work better, are not stuck with a proprietary software, and have replaceable batteries. I guess they're just not for me!

RGA
    Forum Regular
    N. Abstentia

I have to agreee. With all the hype the iPod gets I started to try and rip my cd's using the iTunes program and find it to be incredibly counterintuitive and downright crappy compared to Windows Media Player. Open cd drawer put cd in close. WMP automatically opens lists the cd. You select which recording quality you want to make MP3 or WMA Lossless etc. Once selected and you select which drive you want to save to (I have an external drive) then you simply click Rip and it goes. It remembers your setting and so all you have to do is stick new cds in and it will automatically Rip them. Easy Peezy.

The Sandisk with the SD card is even easier because you just stick the SD card into the computer's slot(if your computer has one) and right cliock and select send to drive E(or whatever the SD card drive is) and it sends it over. Take the card out of the computer and stick it into the SanDisk. I paid $99.00 Cad for a 512mb player which also takes up to 2gb of SD cards. But you could buy MANY 2gb SD cards and simply take one out and stick another one (with different music) in.

When the batterry dies you simply replace the AAA. You get 17 hours of music and they run with rechargables. Plus you get FM and a 5 line screen with a backlight. I personally like the volume wheel (I'm old school that way).

The IPod has a HUGE batterry failure rate and once dead the thing is dead. You can;t replace them - they take a TERRIBLE 5 hours to charge and only play for 12 hours. No screens.

The greatest thing about the Sandisck is that it needs NO SOFTWARE. Drag drop. If the iPod is better I have not yet discovered what it is. Cowan is an iPod rippoff product from Korea for less money though so it makes things more appealing.

The above is only discussing flash players.

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by ericl
    People buy apple because it's an excellent product. I've used a lot of stuff, and apple products are by far the most easy and fun to use, reliable, and well designed. iTunes is a great program, super flexible and reliable. It just works everytime, and any idiot can figure it out. I can't understand why anyone would use Windows Media player to interact with an mp3 player, it's one of the most obnoxious, clunky,a nd nreliable pieces of software that I've ever seen. The software you use to interact with your player really makes or breaks the player, IMHO.

e

I use iTunes on my work computer. I don't really download anything from the interwebs, unless someone gets me a gift card or something. iTunes is okay.

Then I got a new home computer, and was thinking about turning my old one into a music server for entertaining, dinner parties, ect. Well, 300 gigs means I could end up ripping lots of records. So I waffled between iTunes and Yahoo MusicMatch Jukebox that came preinstalled on my computer with an option to upgrade for $20 to include all sort of features including extensive vinyl management tools. I could find no iTunes support for vinyl. Needless to say, MusicMatch has been great and its leaps and bounds past iTunes, IMO. Oh, and I don't use any portable players, for whatever thats worth.

there are many different apps you can use instead of iTunes...do a google on "iTunes alternative"

I use XPlay by mediafour to transfer files to my ipod (first gen 10GB) and it just uses a drag and drop system. I switched to xplay right away (I think back then the only option for windows was musicmatch). I'm not sure if xplay works with the ipod flash players, or what they are up to now. You do have to install it on any system You want to drag and drop though, so thats a minus.

Oh, and my Ipod only last for about 6 hours now, but I've had it for years so I guess that's pretty good. I rarely listen to music longer then that in one day anyway. And I just charge it at night.

It's also super durable. I've dropped it so many times <_<. It has a dent in it. But it still works

Saying all that, I would not buy another ipod. There are players that have way better features and suppost more music formats now. Ipods seem so lacking now. There's just no reason to buy an Ipod anymore.

hey, thats not nice, I think iPods still have it! take this for instance, they haven't changed in price since the 3G iPod, now it has the click wheel, 2.5" color screen, 30gb capacity, 14h batterylife, shall I go on?

Quote Originally Posted by audio_dude
    they haven't changed in price since the 3G iPod,
    Yeah good point...most things come down in price over the years. Look at computers, dvd players, HDTV's...yet an iPod has not changed in price.

Forum Regular
    Yeah good point...most things come down in price over the years. Look at computers, dvd players, HDTV's...yet an iPod has not changed in price.

An iPod you buy today has more functionality / storage / battery life and is a better piece of equipment than one you bought 3 years ago. Apple isn't a pricefighter, they don't lower prices, they improve their products.

Quote Originally Posted by PHiX
    An iPod you buy today has more functionality / storage / battery life and is a better piece of equipment than one you bought 3 years ago.
    And a computer/dvd player/HDTV is not? Choose from that list..I'll take a brand new one any day over one that's 3 years old.

Forum Regular
    And a computer/dvd player/HDTV is not? Choose from that list..I'll take a brand new one any day over one that's 3 years old.
    A high end gaming pc was expensive 3 years ago and still is. Many family pcs drop in price because lately they are more and more equipped with old junk. The amount of clockcycles isn't a measurement anymore... so the average Joe goes for the cheapest pc which runs windows and can be used to surf the net. An average pc could do that 5 years ago as well. Once Vista is out I bet that the price of an average family pc found in warehouses raises again.

With dvd-players / burners you're right, they drop in price because R&D has been paid back by now and the high production volumes.

If you buy a dvd-player which incorporates new technology you still pay a fortune.

iPods also constantly get equipped with new technology every year. Go ahead and mention a device like a 5G iPod that does the same and is considerably cheaper. I can't think of one. Closest is a Zen Vision M which is about the same price.

no, look at the improvements, and it's still the same price, i meant that as a good thing, like the thing is not more expensive, lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information