Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Forum Regular
    There is a dividing line between people who either love or hate Bose. Most average non audiophile people that have heard Bose say they sound very good. Most audiophiles with a taste for accuracy and purity say they sound terrible. The fact is Bose has tons of R&D in psychoacoustics and they know what the average person wants to hear. And most of the time, the average person wants a colored sound with pumped up bass, digital sound processing, and small form factor. This is exactly what bose does and they do it very well.

In my opinion, Bose speakers are a joy to listen to. But comparing them to audiophile gear is apples and oranges. Bose go for an intentionally altered sound that is "exiting". Audiophiles want no alterations whatsoever.

Its like comparing a Marlboro (bose) to a Padron fine cigar (audiophile). You could say Marlboro is overpriced for how terrible the tobacco is compared to your fancy cigar. But its two very different things that cannot be compared. Marlboro has tons of chemicals designed to trigger things in your brain and the taste is approved by so so many people. Padron is a fine cigar grown in Nicaragua grown in the finest soil and handrolled.

Quote Originally Posted by EYEdROP
    And most of the time, the average person wants a colored sound with pumped up bass, digital sound processing, and small form factor. This is exactly what bose does and they do it very well.

'Nuff said.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

And most of the time, the average person wants a colored sound with pumped up bass, digital sound processing, and small form factor. This is exactly what bose does and they do it very well.
    I agree 100%. I am that average "happy" person

Forum Regular
    At the end of the day, the marlboro can be more satisfying indeed.

Ajani
    There is a dividing line between people who either love or hate Bose. Most average non audiophile people that have heard Bose say they sound very good. Most audiophiles with a taste for accuracy and purity say they sound terrible. The fact is Bose has tons of R&D in psychoacoustics and they know what the average person wants to hear. And most of the time, the average person wants a colored sound with pumped up bass, digital sound processing, and small form factor. This is exactly what bose does and they do it very well.

In my opinion, Bose speakers are a joy to listen to. But comparing them to audiophile gear is apples and oranges. Bose go for an intentionally altered sound that is "exiting". Audiophiles want no alterations whatsoever.
    I was going to make a few comments about your post, but frankly your points are close enough to the truth, that I'd really just be nitpicking...

Well Said!!!

And so, this long thread has finally come to its close with the grand finalle of a happy owner and his Bose. Time for me to celebrate!

Wish all of you guys were here, as we're having a roasted Peking Duck

Gill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bose Sounddock 10-pekingduck.jpg  

To BOSE!

Forum Regular
    I was with my brother-in -law at the mall this weekend and decided to give the Bose Sounddock 10 a listen. The sound is very good and bass is strong for a docking speaker. Very good sounding docking speaker but over-priced.

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gillsev
    And so, this long thread has finally come to its close with the grand finalle of a happy owner and his Bose. Time for me to celebrate!

Wish all of you guys were here, as we're having a roasted Peking Duck

Gill
    Gill, Don't let them take the bones away........ My father in law is a Chinese chef and until he retired he always gave us tons of duck bones...... make some serious "peking duck soup".....

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Quote Originally Posted by manlystanley
    Gill, Don't let them take the bones away........ My father in law is a Chinese chef and until he retired he always gave us tons of duck bones...... make some serious "peking duck soup".....

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Oh yeah?? I might try that then. They are so flavorful, I even eat the cartilage and soft bones. Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Fatman-RED-i-I.../dp/B001HS1JOA

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/19/s...sounds-so-cra/

http://tubeamplifierreviews.com/tube...d-dock-review/

I have the smaller Bose dock for the bedroom that I've used for about 8 years now. For audio bubblegum, they work fine. If you have some room, go tubes.
    Last edited by Happy Camper; 12-14-2009 at 08:11 PM.
    d HC b

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Camper
    http://www.amazon.com/Fatman-RED-i-I.../dp/B001HS1JOA

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/19/s...sounds-so-cra/

http://tubeamplifierreviews.com/tube...d-dock-review/

I have the smaller Bose dock for the bedroom that I've used for about 8 years now. For audio bubblegum, they work fine. If you have some room, go tubes.
    Exotic systems you got there. Very nice!
    Yes if I had room, I would have preferred those. My main reason really why I chose the Bose was because for a lack of it (just for my little nightstand). I had to compromise for something smaller and compact (yet delivering the punch I craved). The Sounddock 10 was the right choice for it (though overpriced).

One Minor Problem

There is only one minor problem with the Sounddock 10. No it's not the sound. It is about Web based apps on the Ipod itself (i.e. Pandora). I think the Sounddock was primarily designed to function for the Playlists on your Ipod (music that you yourself stored). There is no problem there operating it with the Bose's remote control and everything on the remote buttons functions as it should. As soon as you dock your Ipod, the default mode of the Sounddock when using the remote control operates the Playlists.

Now here is the problem ...

From the Playlist, when you want to go to Pandora ... you can't use the remote, but have to go directly on the Ipod itself for touchscreen functionality (no big deal). But that's not even the real problem yet ... the real problem is that once you are at Pandora, there is no volume output. It cannot be controlled either by remote or direct Ipod touchscreen (although I could see the volume meter rise when I try to increase it). I discovered that the only way for this to let it work is to take the Ipod off the dock (while at Pandora), press play on the Ipod, then redock it on the Sounddock. Then everything is normal. Volume output is restored and can be controlled either by remote or direct touch.

BUT ... BUT when you go back to the Playlists, then from there - back to Pandora, then the same problem occurs. You just have to redock it everytime you want to go to Pandora. (No redocking ritual needed if you just want to play your Playlists).

I just want to know if this is normal with the other Sounddock models, or other brands for that matter.

I contacted Bose on this. Here is their response ...

"Yes we are aware of this. This is an issue with the Ipod itself, and how it works.
    See below:

Undock and redock iPod to restore audio.
    The iPod does not send any indication to the SoundDock 10 that audio is playing from a 3rd party application, so if the iPod’s music was paused prior to switching to the streaming source audio will not resume. Remove the iPod from the dock and redock to restore audio

Unfortunately, there is no other solution to this beyond what you already are doing to solve the issue if you want to actually DOCK your Ipod.

However, you can simply hook up the Ipod Touch 2nd gen to the AUX in jack on the back of the unit and that will solve the issue.....you can charge it on your own, at another time.

Thank you for contacting Bose Corporation.
    Kevin Bradley
    Product and Technical Support Team"

So there you go. Not a Bose defect. I'm happy, I'm keeping it

Cheers To 2010

Here's to 2010 ...
    As we move on and say goodbye to the past,
    Seems like only yesterday, but what a blast!
    Gonna celebrate for what it has been,
    Eating my heart out on that Royal Red Robin,
    To say the least a mouthful overload,
    It hits the spot, What a motherload!!!
    Get home to watch the Apple fall, and then ...
    Dance the night away on my Sounddock 10.

The End.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bose Sounddock 10-champagne_toast.jpg  

Man I couldn't believe I spent $60 last night on that Red Robin! What? just for a burger, fish sandwich, and some chicken nuggets (for the kids)! I could have got me some cheap computer speakers for that price! Eating out nowadays are just astronomical!

But it's the New Year! And now my resolution is to lose weight. Talk about losing weight and Slim Fast just pulled off their shakes from the shelves due to a recall! Perfect timing if you say. Got to buy the powder this time and those meal bars.

40 lbs. to go! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Last edited by gillsev; 01-01-2010 at 11:35 AM.

Why were you charge with $51.10 on tax?

I'm not sure if it's just a personal preference, but why pay for the sales tax when you don't have to?

Congrats on your purchase. Obviously, it's not your main rig so anything "Dock" should do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Why were you charge with $51.10 on tax?

I'm not sure if it's just a personal preference, but why pay for the sales tax when you don't have to?

Congrats on your purchase. Obviously, it's not your main rig so anything "Dock" should do just fine.
    If I bought it from Crutchfield or J&R World, it would have been tax free. But since I bought it at Bose.com, I was charged tax. So why did I choose Bose.com??
    Because they were the ones who only offered financing for 11 months @ $50/month (plus initial downpayment of $101.50).

I could have gone with the other guys and saved myself $51.10, but have to come up with the lump sum of $600, so I chose the latter
    Last edited by gillsev; 01-01-2010 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Obviously, it's not your main rig so anything "Dock" should do just fine.
    BTW, here is my main rig downstairs ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bose Sounddock 10-after2.jpg  

My pride and joy is at the upper right ... yeah, none other than the Lab 80!

Popular Science - July 1965
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bose Sounddock 10-pop1.jpg  

Say, gillsev...who are you communicating with? That last 4 posts are all you.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Say, gillsev...who are you communicating with? That last 4 posts are all you.
    Myself ... I'm bored!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Boy, you just gotta love that wooden arm!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bose Sounddock 10-arm.jpg  

Lab 80
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bose Sounddock 10-12.jpg  

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information