Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    It looks to me like the Bose product that competes with that Yamaha is down the line from the SoundDock 10 and actually is priced at $399. A 100-percent premium for a Bose as compared to a competing product by Yamaha would seem about normal to me.
    Yeah, I saw that Bose Sounddock II (Portable) for $399 but I wasn't into it really ... sounds generic. The Sounddock 10 was what I was after due to its internal 7" subwoofer, I knew this was something else, but the price was just too steep.

BTW, just got my IMac on the Black Friday sale yesterday ... $101 off on a 27" Duo Core desktop. Man, this thing is so cool! No Tower !!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bose Sounddock 10-mac.jpg  
    Last edited by gillsev; 11-28-2009 at 04:10 AM.

Hey guys, any IMac savvy here? What kind of internet filter can I get for this? My Integrity Online that I use for my PC is incompatible for IMac. Help ... got to protect the kids from inappropriate websites

Thanks.

Nevermind, found the answer. And it's free too. Already built in, duh!

http://www.apple.com/macosx/security/

Bose is the Boss of Sound ...

http://www.innovationquotient.com/in...id=28&cat_id=3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bose Sounddock 10-bose-901.jpg  
    Last edited by gillsev; 11-28-2009 at 02:24 PM.

Please...

C'mon AA, you've got preconceived ideas about the man and his product(s) and have remained biased just because he commands a premium. Give the guy a chance!

I've been put off Bose by so many things I've read, and it appears that any self-respecting audiophile would not touch a Bose product with a ten foot pole. Personally I have had very little exposure but I can understand where people are coming from when they say they hate Bose products.

This is a good place to start, so read this my friend:
    http://nyet.org/bose/b.htm

Oh, and chances are, you'll be getting a whole bunch more comments from other members here

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by gillsev
    C'mon AA, you've got preconceived ideas about the man and his product(s) and have remained biased just because he commands a premium. Give the guy a chance!
    Many of us have tried Bose products and ruled them out for good reason...

I've heard the 901s many times as well as their HT Systems with the cutesy little cube speakers...

For the price they charge, their products are crap.... at about a third of their asking price, I'd consider buying them....

A pair of 901s competes pricewise with Revel Concerta F12s, Monitor Audio RX6. B&W 683, Magnepan MG12, etc... I'd take any of those speakers over the Bose 901s (and I hate the Magnepan MG12, so you can figure out how much I think of the 901)... Considering the high quality available in that price range, the 901 would have to offer far better performance than it does, for me to not regard it as a total ripoff....

I think at a third of the price I would not consider buying the 901's. The Wave radio would be worth consideration at a third. The earphones are probably worth half.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I think at a third of the price I would not consider buying the 901's. The Wave radio would be worth consideration at a third. The earphones are probably worth half.
    The Wave Radio is supposed to be decent, just overpriced... I wouldn't buy it at a reduced price simply because I have no use for it... I've seen some good reviews for their headphones though, so they maybe the only products in the Bose line that are not ridiculously overpriced... I may have to go try a pair this week, so I can have an informed opinion on them...

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    The Wave Radio is supposed to be decent, just overpriced... I wouldn't buy it at a reduced price simply because I have no use for it... I've seen some good reviews for their headphones though, so they maybe the only products in the Bose line that are not ridiculously overpriced... I may have to go try a pair this week, so I can have an informed opinion on them...
    There is no way I'd ever even consider Bose seeing how they do business. You think they don't know they are playing on peoples ignorance? They know....they plotted the whole thing. That's not to say other don't do it...and if I suspect they are deliberately ripping people off I won't deal with them in the slightest.

frenchmon
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I used to be an audio salesman and for speakers we sold AR, Bose and JBL. We played the AR9's for the Bose rep and he heard that incredible bass. Then we played the 901's and he felt they had the same amount of bass. We all laughed but the others went back to selling Bose because of the higher sales commission. I was the AR and JBL salesman. When Amar did his direct reflected measurements for the 901's he was too far back in the hall. 11% direct and 89% reflected is not what most people hear in the front half of a concert hall.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    I've been put off Bose by so many things I've read, and it appears that any self-respecting audiophile would not touch a Bose product with a ten foot pole. Personally I have had very little exposure but I can understand where people are coming from when they say they hate Bose products.

This is a good place to start, so read this my friend:
    http://nyet.org/bose/b.htm

Oh, and chances are, you'll be getting a whole bunch more comments from other members here
    Thanks for that elaborate article my friend. I am not into satellite speakers and sub module style anyway, so count me out on that one. I still believe in the big old fashioned stereo speakers (in conjunction with a sub) when listening to music or movie for that matter (with center channel and rears of course for 5.1).

I may not be an audiophile engineer who knows all these technical jargon but just your average audiophile who's got two ears to hear. And I am not your average Joe either who doesn't know quality between a GPX and a Mark Levinson.

Some things are obvious and some things are obscure. Such as is the Bose 901's that I have as my main front speakers for more than a decade now. I've been using them before the days of 5.1. When 5.1 came, I integrated them with a Yamaha 12" Sub, and another Yamaha center channel (and Bose 201's for rears). And they all sounded good together! Why not all Bose you ask? Because not all Bose appeal to me. For example, their center channel speaker was designed so elongatedly slim for full range reproduction, the Yamaha to me looked more proportional for its function (and so it is with the Sub).

I don't believe in all Bose's products (I pick and choose). You still can't deny though that there are outstanding Bose products that have stood the test of time. The Legendary 901's has stood the test of time since the late 60's. Nobody has ever came up with that innovation on acoustic matrix enclosure with nine 4.5" full range drivers designed for direct/reflecting technology tailored by an active equalizer. This is just unconventional but works great!

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    To me, those speakers confuse the listening position and create more issues with on/off axis listening. It's already challenging as it is, particularily when dealing with 5.1.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    To me, those speakers confuse the listening position and create more issues with on/off axis listening. It's already challenging as it is, particularily when dealing with 5.1.
    Why pops, do you always have to have a "sweet" spot when listening?

Every room has a sweet spot. Even a room full of the best Bose speakers has a sweet spot, or maybe a couple with Bose. It might please you to know that I have an old pair of 201's in my kitchen. They are for my wife, she listens to the radio mostly. I like them fine for that, she is moving around all the time in there. The 901's are a little much IMO.

Ajani
    The Legendary 901's has stood the test of time since the late 60's. Nobody has ever came up with that innovation on acoustic matrix enclosure with nine 4.5" full range drivers designed for direct/reflecting technology tailored by an active equalizer. This is just unconventional but works great!
    Interestingly enough, "Legendary" is the exact word I was going to use to describe the 901's... The issue is not with the unconventional design... Planars are unconventional designs but are still highly respected in Audiophile circles... Having no sweet spot or multiple sweetspots is actually a good idea (assuming your are not the typical 100% anti-social audiophile)... The problem is that the "innovation" of the 901's is in dire need of updating... Had Bose spent the last 40 years doing proper R&D, instead of just aggressive marketing, then the 901's would undoubtedly be an exceptional speaker... The Active EQ, should be upgraded for proper automatic room correction via an included microphone... The Drivers should be replaced with far higher quality material, than paper cones... possibly even the addition of a few, well placed tweeters to help with the high end and possibly a sub for the bass....

Essentially, the 901s have survived so long based more on marketing than the strength of the product.... It's a shame, since if the 901's had been properly updated, chances are they would have been held in the same regard as entry level Magnepan and Vandersteen speakers by many Audiophiles...

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Interestingly enough, "Legendary" is the exact word I was going to use to describe the 901's... The issue is not with the unconventional design... Planars are unconventional designs but are still highly respected in Audiophile circles... Having no sweet spot or multiple sweetspots is actually a good idea (assuming your are not the typical 100% anti-social audiophile)... The problem is that the "innovation" of the 901's is in dire need of updating... Had Bose spent the last 40 years doing proper R&D, instead of just aggressive marketing, then the 901's would undoubtedly be an exceptional speaker... The Active EQ, should be upgraded for proper automatic room correction via an included microphone... The Drivers should be replaced with far higher quality material, than paper cones... possibly even the addition of a few, well placed tweeters to help with the high end and possibly a sub for the bass....

Essentially, the 901s have survived so long based more on marketing than the strength of the product.... It's a shame, since if the 901's had been properly updated, chances are they would have been held in the same regard as entry level Magnepan and Vandersteen speakers by many Audiophiles...
    No updates since the Series VI (early 90's) ...
    I totally AGREE with your opinion!
    The paper drivers should be updated with a higher quality material like the Klipsch.

I've just read Stereophile's review of the 901, and I love how they have a 'Manufacturer's comments' at the end:
    'Sidebar 2: Manufacturer's Comments
    Our technical analysis of the theory behind the 901 differs from Stereophile's in a number of respects. Since the final test of a speaker is in its sound with actual program material, we urge Stereophile readers to audition the Bose 901 and then judge for themselves whether Stereophile or the 15 other US and foreign reviews, which draw completely different conclusions, is correct.—Bose'

http://www.stereophile.com/standloud...25/index5.html

It's the first time I've seen 'manufacturers comments' in their speaker reviews.

"No highs, no lows, must be Bose."

Bose will sound better if you use Monster cables tho.

Oh, wait...
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    "No highs, no lows, must be Bose."

Bose will sound better if you use Monster cables tho.

Oh, wait...

Funny stuff LDB! Haven't seen you posting much, this is good proof of quality over quantity.

Since the final test of a speaker is in its sound with actual program material
    This is funny. I interpret the translation to read as:

No consumer is smart enough to truly understand factors such as build, components or drivers. We at Bose prefer that our customers just keep their mouths shut and not ask questions. Studies have shown that our speakers sound better when questions are not audible.

Forum Regular
    The 901s would be OK as "party speakers"...like in a bar room or something where you're just trying to get sound all over the place and not concerned about serious listening. However, for the price they sell for, they'd probably be generally out of reach for such an application.

I've heard lots of bars used to have them hanging from the ceiling though...since you're only supposed to use them with their proprietary stands or hung from the ceiling. Bose even admits they're not a proper bookshelf speaker.

It's somewhat of a shame Bose has basically abandoned the stereo speaker market. They haven't updated any of their '01 speakers in literally many years. I suppose their Lifestyle and Acoustimass systems have a much higher profit margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Invader3k
    The 901s would be OK as "party speakers"...like in a bar room or something where you're just trying to get sound all over the place and not concerned about serious listening.
    I've heard lots of bars used to have them hanging from the ceiling though...since you're only supposed to use them with their proprietary stands or hung from the ceiling.
    That was exactly the setting when I first heard the 901's ... on a discotheque hanging at eye level. (Man, that was 1978!) I went close to it and I was so impressed since it reverberated with such brutal bass, it was like pounding my chest! And the sound so full and solid to the thumping beat of disco. I was only 14 at that time but I swore that day that I would have those 901's someday when I get my own place. Now it has come to pass

That was exactly the setting when I first heard the 901's ... on a discotheque hanging at eye level. (Man, that was 1978!) I went close to it and I was so impressed since it reverberated with such brutal bass, it was like pounding my chest! And the sound so full and solid to the thumping beat of disco. I was only 14 at that time but I swore that day that I would have those 901's someday when I get my own place. Now it has come to pass

Let's see...you were 14 in 1978, that makes you what 45 years old? Your just getting your own place now?

Just ribbin' ya but I wouldn't make any purchase based on what I like at 14 yo. let alone 31 years ago. There really is so much better out there at those prices.

Peace out

LDB
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Let's see...you were 14 in 1978, that makes you what 45 years old? Your just getting your own place now?

Just ribbin' ya but I wouldn't make any purchase based on what I like at 14 yo. let alone 31 years ago. There really is so much better out there at those prices.

Peace out

LDB
    Got yer calculations right, my friend. I'm a 45 year OLD man. I got my place in '87, so figure that out ...

I know what you mean, but I was just telling my story what made me decide to get the 901's

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information