Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gillsev
    Did peer pressure from the audiophilia community divert your decision?
    I bet that's it, otherwise you would have had the Bose
    It wasn't peer pressure. I purchase the Griffin Amplifi because it does the job. I compare the two and they were pretty close in terms of bass and mid range. I have to admit the Bose Sounddock had more sparkle in the high end but the price is 2-3 times more.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Bah, they're all over priced crap. So many better options...I'm surprised you like these things BR!!
    The B&W Zep is awesome. As I said in another post, I heard one in Harrods of London last year in between lots of other high end gear sold in that store and could not believe the sound was coming from a football.

I would by this or the little sister before I bought anything Bose!

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    The B&W Zep is awesome. As I said in another post, I heard one in Harrods of London last year in between lots of other high end gear sold in that store and could not believe the sound was coming from a football.

I would by this or the little sister before I bought anything Bose!
    I understand your point HyFi, but since I don't live in an alternate universe where Ipod docks are my only choice, I won't be buying any of it.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    I woudn't discount the audio from a dock (or a good mp3 player for that matter). Yes your not going to get real stereo, or much extension on the bottom, but some of them sound not bad and can fit into places like the kitchen (where I have mine) that you would be hard pressed to get a real system into. However, $600 for one is just way outta bounds for my tastes. Gotta hand it to Bose, they manage to sell these things based on name, and not value. Kinda like buying Gucci....
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Yes your not going to get real stereo, or much extension on the bottom.... However, $600 for one is just way outta bounds for my tastes. Gotta hand it to Bose, they manage to sell these things based on name, and not value. Kinda like buying Gucci....
    Sorry Geoff, you didn't make much of a case for me to "not discount". They are WAY overpriced show pieces with badges that are supposed to make people think "ooooooo it's a Bose, wow!" Not for me....

Well, if it was $125 then it would be worth a sniff.... (about what's it's really worth)

FWIW; I've had my eye on the Cambridge Soundworks model 12 for years. While not technically a doc, the thing really cranks as a portable sound system. To bad I'm not doing the tailgating thing like I used to or I would get it...

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...A000-8#reviews
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Right, now that looks a little better from a super reputable company. I mean, with a little research people could discover all of these little gems.

Looks great but what sold it for me is that Flea endorses it. If it's good enough for Flea, it's good enough for me. Maybe the coolest bass player ever...

Flea ain't lying! You would not believe the bass it can produce. Not just a melodic bass line either, hard pounding kick drum that whacks you in the chest. I've heard the thing and you just stand there dumbfounded.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Cambridge Soundworks also makes a nice clock radio with iPod compatibility.

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...&item=k1765sbw

Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Cambridge Soundworks also makes a nice clock radio with iPod compatibility.

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...&item=k1765sbw
    That's sweet, and I'm really diggin on the "SoundBlaster® Wireless for iTunes®" I just hope it would work with other programs too, as I can't stand Itombs and it NAZI based DRM.

I've got their HD820 clock radio in the bedroom, although it doesn't have the features and probably half the sound that this puppy does, it does pull in digital FM.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

I like this one, BR ...
    Reasonable price too.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AUENA5

Doesn't come with grilles to protect the speaker though??

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    That's sweet, and I'm really diggin on the "SoundBlaster® Wireless for iTunes®" I just hope it would work with other programs too, as I can't stand Itombs and it NAZI based DRM.
    That would indeed be an important question. I think this page for that product is indicating it can transmit any computer sounds...

http://www.soundblaster.com/products...&product=18739

Hey Papa, I saw your Technics SL Q2!

BTW, I'm using the same 2M Red on my back up TT ...
    Budget cartridge but sounds good. I'm still hoping to get the Black 2M someday, maybe if I won't get the Bose Sounddock 10, I would have just spent it on the Black 2M

http://www.ttweights.com/albums/albu...58/4926188.htm

Seriously dude, don't get the Bose. We're not Bose bashers just because we like to be, and we like to steer people in the right direction. After all, that's what we do here.
    Last edited by audio amateur; 11-24-2009 at 05:46 PM.

Hey Papa, I saw your Technics SL Q2!

BTW, I'm using the same 2M Red on my back up TT ...
    Budget cartridge but sounds good. I'm still hoping to get the Black 2M someday, maybe if I won't get the Bose Sounddock 10, I would have just spent it on the Black 2M

http://www.ttweights.com/albums/albu...58/4926188.htm

Yes the Q2 is a nice deck. My HK is probably the best performer. I love the 2M. Although it's priced in the budget range I find it such a derogatory term for such a remarkable cart. For a direct drive it works wonders.

I'm not sure if you've read my thread but I am expecting a Golden Tube SE-40. This will be the segway to a turntable upgrade. I am hoping on a used Linn/SystemDek. I may go acrylic with a budget Pro-ject or Music Hall, new of course. However I may try the used VPI/Music Hall route and grab a MH 5 or 7. We'll see.

The 2M looks nice on your Garrard. Have you tried Nagaoka? I think it would be a nice fit for you.

Yes the Q2 is a nice deck. My HK is probably the best performer. I love the 2M. Although it's priced in the budget range I find it such a derogatory term for such a remarkable cart. For a direct drive it works wonders.

I'm not sure if you've read my thread but I am expecting a Golden Tube SE-40. This will be the segway to a turntable upgrade. I am hoping on a used Linn/SystemDek. I may go acrylic with a budget Pro-ject or Music Hall, new of course. However I may try the used VPI/Music Hall route and grab a MH 5 or 7. We'll see.

The 2M looks nice on your Garrard. Have you tried Nagaoka? I think it would be a nice fit for you.
    The Linn is one of my dream turntables, but so is the Thorens TD 124. For now my nostalgic TT is my Garrard, but correction Pops ... the Red 2M is on my back up TT (Thorens TD 320 MK II). My Garrard is sporting the Shure M91ED which is also quite comparable to the Red 2M league. Very warm neutral sound of the 70's. No I haven't tried Nagaoka yet although I've heard good reviews on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bose Sounddock 10-lab80-shurem91ed.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Seriously dude, don't get the Bose. Were not Bose bashers just because we like to be, and we like to steer people in the right direction. After all, that's what we do here.
    Appreciate your concern AA. Somehow I just find it more rewarding to get the most expensive stuff. Kinda like preferring a Rolex watch over a Casio ... although both tell time. You know what I mean

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Appreciate your concern AA. Somehow I just find it more rewarding to get the most expensive stuff. Kinda like preferring a Rolex watch over a Casio ... although both tell time. You know what I mean

If you want a good watch try a Patek Phillipe or a Blancpain. Rolex is a nice midrange swiss watch but not the most expensive.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

However, in this analogy, Bose is the guy who is lurking in a dark alley and with a "pssst", calls you over to show you the Rolex's inside his trenchcoat.

However, in this analogy, Bose is the guy who is lurking in a dark alley and with a "pssst", calls you over to show you the Rolex's inside his trenchcoat.

Fake Rolex? HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    If you want a good watch try a Patek Phillipe or a Blancpain. Rolex is a nice midrange swiss watch but not the most expensive.
    Ooooh, that's way beyond my budget JM. I've got to mortgage my house for them!

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    The Linn is one of my dream turntables, but so is the Thorens TD 124. For now my nostalgic TT is my Garrard, but correction Pops ... the Red 2M is on my back up TT (Thorens TD 320 MK II). My Garrard is sporting the Shure M91ED which is also quite comparable to the Red 2M league. Very warm neutral sound of the 70's. No I haven't tried Nagaoka yet although I've heard good reviews on it.

I started audio life with a Kenwood marble base turntable and a Shure M91ED. I should try to find a NOS cartridge and listen to how it sounds today. Oh and then I stepped up to a Shure M95ED. Back in the days when a cartridge was added for a penny.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

JM, please don't compare Rolex to Bose. But I get what you're saying, I suppose...
    BTW, I live in watch city. I believe Patek-Philippe are made in Geneva. I should do a factory tour sometime. They are positively nuts about watches here. In the airport, the only ads you have are about banks & watches.

Check out this one by Romain Jerome, which features original parts of the Titanic:
    Last edited by audio amateur; 11-25-2009 at 04:18 AM.

Wow! I should show my wife that since she's watched that god damned movie 5000 times. Maybe owning the watch would chill her out. I'm online Tony...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information